DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 9-23-13

MGFanJay

I thought this week's Raw was a lot better than last week's. The main event was really good, even though it did bug me that everyone just stayed outside the ring watching their partners getting pinned.

I believe that they were not going to tolerate saves with that many guys in the match. Like with the old Survivor Series matches. If saves were tolerated, the match would still be going. 

I wish they'd have said that, because it looked kinda bad to me given how you never see guys get DQed or even warned for making saves in tag matches.

I like Punk but that promo did nothing for me.  If John Cena delivered the promo that Punk gave on Monday he'd be raked over the coals.  Just awful, pandering crap.  Punk comes off as so disingenuous.  Even in front of his own hometown.   Some people just aren't meant to be babyfaces.

Punk can do the work/shoot thing well, but when he has to cut a straight wrestling promo, it often comes off as so shallow and phony. If he can't dredge up some past real-life grievance or talk about what a rebel he is or whatever, he's kind of lost.

I like Punk but that promo did nothing for me.  If John Cena delivered the promo that Punk gave on Monday he'd be raked over the coals.  Just awful, pandering crap.  Punk comes off as so disingenuous.  Even in front of his own hometown.   Some people just aren't meant to be babyfaces.

Punk can do the work/shoot thing well, but when he has to cut a straight wrestling promo, it often comes off as so shallow and phony. If he can't dredge up some past real-life grievance or talk about what a rebel he is or whatever, he's kind of lost.

Luckily I doubt he'll run out of those, real or imagined.

• Like 1

I don't mind that Punk is a pissed off guy who has problems with seemingly everyone he's ever met. I do mind that, more often than not, Raw turns into his live therapy session. 

"They hated me in 2005 and didn't think I would amount to anything! The shame!"

• Like 2

Last thing I wanted to comment on about this show, as I finally finished watching it: when did the WWE stop caring about ugly head-drops? RVD's belly-to-back on Orton was fucking hideous, and Santino's on Fandango wasn't much better.  And Ambrose's finisher? I thought he killed Kofi and RVD.  I get that both of those guys oversell some stuff (RVD being the king of such head-spiking bumps, of course), but still...yikes.

I've just got done watching the AM Raw on USA, so I'm late to the party, but something makes no sense to me. The AM Raw is a one-hour highlights show of the 3-hour raw, yet they showed the entire 29-minute beatdown on RVD by Randy Orton. It went on FOREVER and did absolutely NOTHING.

We got the idea that Orton was an angry badass 15 minutes into the beatdown, RVD looked like a chump for being beat on for 3 hours by Orton, and it REALLY looked stupid that no one came out to rescue RVD after last week's show of unity for Daniel Bryan. Did he stiff the roster on dope deals, or what? 

Then apparently he gets beat up AGAIN by Alberto Del Rio, but still makes the big 11-on-3 main event, where he gets a hot tag and comes in like a house afar, despite the fact that he's been beat on like a kettle drum for apparently the entire three hours of the show. He goes out quickly enough, as he should, but he never should have been in the match in the first place. He took TWO beatings, for God's sake. What does that say about the strength of the beatings that two of them couldn't put him out? And if they couldn't put him out, why did they bother?

The CM Punk-Heyman thing was tremendous. Sure, Punk's promo was pandering, but it fit his story. Has Heyman risen out of the Rascal yet ala Ron Wright rising from his wheelchair in Smoky Mountain? It's a shame he's wrestling a clod like Ryback, 'cause a match between Punk and Heyman's guy would be awesome if Heyman's guy was someone worth seeing. Alas, it's Big Muscled Charisma-Challenged Goof #215.

And holy shit, is Daniel Bryan over. Did even some of the biggest Danielson supporters back in the day think he could get THAT over in the big leagues? I knew he could be a star - I always figured he'd get way over in the WWE using his "I've got till five!" arrogant heel character, but he's still got that ready to go in the bullpen. He's gonna be a big deal for a long time.

i didnt think the CM Punks promo was bad at all, It was made for his hometown crowd, no different then Bret in Calgary or Flair in Carolina , I thought Ryback go a little more heat when he ripped off Punks jersey. I'm Digging Ryback with Heyman even though he's showing alot more personalty, heyman knows how to put more heat on him so that he doesnt speak too much. Thats the only angle beside AJ vs the Total Divas thats not inter twined with the Bryan vs the McMahon-Helmsely Regime.

The Sheild has to be one of the best Trios ever anywhere because the dont seem like 3 individuals placed together, they work like a team and they do alot  of subtle things that works so well.

And holy shit, is Daniel Bryan over. Did even some of the biggest Danielson supporters back in the day think he could get THAT over in the big leagues? I knew he could be a star - I always figured he'd get way over in the WWE using his "I've got till five!" arrogant heel character, but he's still got that ready to go in the bullpen. He's gonna be a big deal for a long time.

It still surreal to me and I love how he does he comeback, he gets Ultamite Warrior level hyped and missle dropkick people in the corner and just goes ham.