DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 9-23-13

MGFanJay

Yeah, how often has Dustin even gone sans makeup in his WWE career? He had a few weeks when he was doing a born again gimmick, I believe? He needs the makeup for recognition purposes.

And they've also written it that he's mentally ill and part of the reason is because he McMahon's made him become Golddust and it screwed him up for good. Even Cody addressed that when he was fired. "I loved him and look what they diPlus, it's so awesome and wrestling for him to do that.

God his Dr. Doom run was fucking awesome, and before a few weeks ago, the only time I found him even slightly interesting.

But this angle is so great that I'm actually excited to see him now.  Especially when his big brother is with him.

• Like 2

Although I still don't understand why they won't let Dustin just be Dustin. I mean, I know why - this poor nobody was bestowed this legendary gimmick by Vince so how can he get over without it? - but it seems ridiculous to make up your face in this elaborate paint scheme in order to hop the rail for a SNEAK attack.

This was my favorite segment, too.

I think you answered your own question. Because who cares about Dustin Rhodes? He's GOLDUST. If La Parka was gonna do a run in, I wouldn't want to see a Luchafat dude in a t-shirt and jeans run out and hit someone with a chair. I want to see LA PARKA.

Cody's "Dashing" gimmick was the only time I ever saw star potential in the guy. Then he did that awful Dr. Doom impression and he's pretty much on my "wrestlers I can never take seriously" list now.

I enjoyed the Dr. Doom gimmick at first but, much like masked cm punk of the same era, it had no payoff.

Although I still don't understand why they won't let Dustin just be Dustin. I mean, I know why - this poor nobody was bestowed this legendary gimmick by Vince so how can he get over without it? - but it seems ridiculous to make up your face in this elaborate paint scheme in order to hop the rail for a SNEAK attack.

I think you answered your own question. Because who cares about Dustin Rhodes? He's GOLDUST. If La Parka was gonna do a run in, I wouldn't want to see a Luchafat dude in a t-shirt and jeans run out and hit someone with a chair. I want to see LA PARKA.

WRONG.

I am all for lucha fat dudes hitting people with chairs.

Cody's "Dashing" gimmick was the only time I ever saw star potential in the guy. Then he did that awful Dr. Doom impression and he's pretty much on my "wrestlers I can never take seriously" list now.

I enjoyed the Dr. Doom gimmick at first but, much like masked cm punk of the same era, it had no payoff.

I thought it got progressively worse, but yea the cherry on top of the shit sundae was not having a payoff to it. "Man how do we get this mask off of Cody, this thing is beyond stale." "I don't know, fuck it just have him show up without it and have some new gear on."

Orton powdering to stall as soon as RVD started to do his pick-a-spot routine was pretty great. It was like him saying out loud "Jesus, can you let me build some heat for a minute? You can get to your Rolling Thunders and monkey flips later."

This Raw was all about trying to get the undercard roster over and I'm 100% behind that. Plus you can't go wrong with them burying the Miz, only to disinter him and fuck the corpse.

WRONG.

I am all for lucha fat dudes hitting people with chairs.

I'm saying I don't want unmasked La Parka in street clothes, just like I don't want a no make up Goldust. 

For me, Goldust being like 'guys I'm just Dustin Rhodes right now' is like Dusty saying 'Guys I'm just Virgil right now.' No you're not. You're GOLDUST. Quit fucking around and put your gold make up and bodysuit on.

• Like 1

I really loved it when there was some weird "THEY BURIED HIM!" response when DiBiase Jr. got fired. He had a ready-made gimmick of amazing literally handed to him. Spoiled brat son of Million Dollar Man is the single easiest gimmick ever to get over. Cody had none to speak of. That "Dashing" gimmick could have died 1,000 deaths in the hands of someone who wasn't any good. He hit a home run with that. His Dr. Doom shtick was a really good mid-card deal, I thought. The Rhodes Scholars stuff was also gold.

I think this angle is going to make him huge.

The WWE has such an interesting problem right now. They have a lot of guys who have major breakout or renewed heat ready because of this angle. Cody, The Usos, Titus and, yes, The Miz are right there. (The Miz was pretty good last night. He was really feisty.) It's a great problem.

I really loved it when there was some weird "THEY BURIED HIM!" response when DiBiase Jr. got fired.

They did bury him. Every time he was over, they gut his nuts off. Him and Cody were over as tag champs and they lost the belts for no reason. Then he was over when the fans were crazy for him to attack Orton and he was made to look like a punk every single week. Even later he was paired with Virgil and that was doing decent, then they got rid of Virgil and paired him with Maryse. Who is a heat siphon under good circumstances. Ted was also the only guy to consistently get good matches out of Sin Cara. Cody should have been getting a real singles push since 2007, when he was feuding with Orton. Instead he got paired with Hardcore Holly (Who is a favorite of mine) in a team that went nowhere. They had a long tag title reign, but that was because the company was ignoring the Raw tag belts. Cody should have been a World champion by now. 

I really loved it when there was some weird "THEY BURIED HIM!" response when DiBiase Jr. got fired.

They did bury him. Every time he was over, they gut his nuts off. Him and Cody were over as tag champs and they lost the belts for no reason. Then he was over when the fans were crazy for him to attack Orton and he was made to look like a punk every single week. Even later he was paired with Virgil and that was doing decent, then they got rid of Virgil and paired him with Maryse. Who is a heat siphon under good circumstances. Ted was also the only guy to consistently get good matches out of Sin Cara. Cody should have been getting a real singles push since 2007, when he was feuding with Orton. Instead he got paired with Hardcore Holly (Who is a favorite of mine) in a team that went nowhere. They had a long tag title reign, but that was because the company was ignoring the Raw tag belts. Cody should have been a World champion by now. 

Ted was never over. He was hot for the 1.5 seconds he stood up to Randy. That's not exactly staying power. At the best, he's a slightly more competent Alex Riley. He also wasn't getting over with Virgil. Virgil was getting a nostalgia pop. 

I really think I hated Ted DiBiase Jr.more than anyone who ever had good ring time ever. That dude was the pits.

• Like 1

That Punk promo made me feel like FSW. Fuck the Blackhawks and fuck hockey.

"Fuck hockey"? You poor, poor man.

However, I have a theory/fantasy on this. I like to imagine Punk was just gonna wear out the jersey for the cheap plug and that would be that, but when he showed up to Gorilla, Vince said, "What is that? You're not gonna talk about fucking hockey, are ya?" and then Punk decided to base half of his promo on it.