DVDVR Message Board

Marvel/DC characters you'd like to see something done with, and why

BrianS81177

Was talking about this with some co-workers today, and it was a pretty interesting discussion with some good ideas so I thought I'd try it out here. 

Which Marvel and/or DC characters do you wish they would do something with in the movie/TV universes, and what exactly would you wish to see? Personally I've long thought that a She-Hulk Netflix series would be a fantastic idea. It could bring some (much needed) humor to the super grim and serious Netflix universe, it could loosely tie them in with the MCU (since she's Banner's cousin) and they could always run with a story where she and Matt Murdoch open their own firm together. 

Once the "Disney buys Fox" deal goes through, I really really want to see Dr. Doom and Galactus introduced as Avengers villains. I could not care any less if the Fantastic Four ever come back (never been a fan), but the MCU needs some heavy hitters for its villains and since Weaving got a bug up his ass about being in comic movies it's doubtful we'll see the Red Skull again anytime soon. They could easily get 2 movies out of Doom, and build to Galactus as a Thanos type "everyone get together to fight this fucking guy" threat. Having the Silver Surfer around would be cool too. I also REALLY want to see one more Thor movie so they can put Beta Ray Bill in it. 

On the DC side, I would love to see them use Booster Gold. If they want to add more comedy to the films, Booster is a great choice to do it. Cast someone like Nathan Fillion and have him be a supporting player in a couple of the movies, popping up when the mood needs to be lightened. I'd also like to see them introcuce the Martian Manhunter into the movies. Though that may be planned if they're gonna do a JL2. 

In the Berlanti-verse, I'd really love to see them drop some more of the upper level villains in. I know Joker and Luthor would be a pipe dream, but what about Two Face, Black Mask, Mr. Freeze, Riddler, Penguin? Basically all the villains that Gotham has burned through but, you know, done well (full disclosure I haven't watched Gotham since the second season but what I've heard about it has just sounded awful). Black Mask in particular has never really been done in movies or on TV but has a rich history in the comics. 

So what (somewhat realistic) plans would you guys like to see announced? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

In the Berlanti-verse, I'd really love to see them drop some more of the upper level villains in. I know Joker and Luthor would be a pipe dream, but what about Two Face, Black Mask, Mr. Freeze, Riddler, Penguin? Basically all the villains that Gotham has burned through but, you know, done well (full disclosure I haven't watched Gotham since the second season but what I've heard about it has just sounded awful). Black Mask in particular has never really been done in movies or on TV but has a rich history in the comics. 

I want none of that in a non-Batman show.

Doctor Doom and Fantastic Four done right.  More bothered about Doom.

Spider-Man villains we've not seen on the big screen before. However...

We haven't had Doctor Octopus since 2004, Doc Ock 's due a return to the big screen.

Goblins used in Raimi/Webb Spider-Man movies, so we won't be seeing them anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Since Guardians of the Galaxy was such a big hit for Marvel, I'd like to see DC counter with an Adam Strange or Space Ranger franchise.

I wonder if they'll try to go in a GotG direction with the Green Lantern Corps movie.

11 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I wonder if they'll try to go in a GotG direction with the Green Lantern Corps movie.

If they really wanted to make me happy, they'd make a Prince Gavyn / Starman movie.

If this New Mutants / Demon Bear thing turns out to be big and if the Kitty Pryde solo movie turns out to be based on X-Men 143, then Marvel Horror owes me a Midnight Sons movie. 

43 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Alfonso Cuaron directing a Mr Miracle movie.

ETA: Obviously Gwedonlyn Christie is Big Barda in this scenario

I will give the unpopular opinion that I don't think that she is pretty enough to be Big Barda.

But since you mentioned GoT, I totally support Aiden Gillen getting the role of Kanto in this Mr. Miracle movie.

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I will give the unpopular opinion that I don't think that she is pretty enough to be Big Barda.

Man, I don't even know what to say to this.

Actually, you know who would be fucking awesome as Barda?  The woman who played the dora milaje in Civil War/Black Panther.  I don't know if she's physically large enough but you can CGI that shit.

EDIT: Florence Kasumbo!

11 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

On the DC side, I would love to see them use Booster Gold. If they want to add more comedy to the films, Booster is a great choice to do it. Cast someone like Nathan Fillion and have him be a supporting player in a couple of the movies, popping up when the mood needs to be lightened. I'd also like to see them introcuce the Martian Manhunter into the movies. Though that may be planned if they're gonna do a JL2. 

Give me my I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League movie, dammit!  Or at the very least a Booster/Blue Beetle buddy comedy.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, J.T. said:

But since you mentioned GoT, I totally support Aiden Gillen getting the role of Kanto in this Mr. Miracle movie.

I would rather see him as Funky Flashman. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

When we were waiting for confirmed details about The Dark Knight's sequel, I wanted Bane and the Riddler as the villains with David Tennant as Mr. E. Nigma.

Tennant would make a great Riddler.

• Like 1

If I were an insane rich person I would happily go broke bankrolling weird, psychadelic Grant Morrison series that would be incomprehensible to and hated by almost everyone.  Like a Seven Soliders of Victory miniseries or Jodorowsky's Final Crisis.

Also, it's Image instead of Marvel/DC but I think you could make a pretty dope Godland animated series.

• Like 2

I don't follow too closely, but weren't the Arrowverse team told they couldn't use the Question because the movie people wanted to do something with him?

I don't think there's a good movie with him at the center, but he could be a fun supporting character in someone else's flick.

And I know they'll never do this but I'd love a big budget Justice League International movie, with Batman leading a team of third-rate, forgotten, or lesser-known heroes. 

Mr Miracle was my first choice when I saw the thread title, but you fuckers beat me to it. 

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Man, I don't even know what to say to this.

I know I have unpopular nerd opinions.  It is a curse. 

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Actually, you know who would be fucking awesome as Barda?  The woman who played the dora milaje in Civil War/Black Panther.  I don't know if she's physically large enough but you can CGI that shit.

EDIT: Florence Kasumbo!

I can dig that. 

I feel extraordinarily lucky that most of my favorites have had movies made for them. Iron Man and Daredevil were my favorite books and characters and Fox delivered an OK take on Daredevil. Basically, after that, I really wanted Iron Man on the big screen and always thought Tom Cruise would be a good choice to play Tony Stark. Then when the movie was announced and RDJ was cast I thought it was fucking brilliant and couldn't believe I would actually get a great take on Iron Man.

Since then, so many other characters I've liked over the years have been portrayed on screen. Black Panther is the one I've been waiting on for awhile now and I'll be seeing that movie tomorrow.

So aside from everything that's already out there, it's pretty much Kraven. I'm beyond convinced that Kraven's Last Hunt would be one of the best Spidey movies ever. 

I suppose I still want to see a Moon Knight TV series. That would be cool. Thunderbolts is another that would be an interesting concept to tackle if they could pull it off. I just don't know how that's possible without doing a huge event that kills off a large chunk of the MCU. 

But it's pretty much Kraven with Moon Knight as a close second.

20 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I think Hush would be a fantastic addition to a big screen Batman movie.

Ben Affleck directed the hell out of The Town and Argo and both of those movies were great.  America would probably forgive him for being an asshole if he helmed and starred in a metastory arc Long Halloween / Hush miracle DCEU run. 

I have no idea why Snyder continues to call the shots for these things when Ben is right there and ready for the chair.

That storyline would work perfectly fine as long as no producer insisted in turning that story arc into one long, dumb, action sequence.  Let Ben allow Batman to be Batman and use some fucking detective skills to solve the crimes.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zimbra said:

If I were an insane rich person I would happily go broke bankrolling weird, psychadelic Grant Morrison series that would be incomprehensible to and hated by almost everyone.  Like a Seven Soliders of Victory miniseries or Jodorowsky's Final Crisis.

I would totally be that insane rich person to make Seven Soldiers a reality. Best thing Morrison ever wrote.