Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2018 HORROR MOVIE THREAD


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

If you watch Face/Off again, it's really jarring how pre-CGI it is. I'm thinking especially the scene where the two lead actors go flying through the air, and both of their stunt doubles get a ton of full face screen time. Because digital face replacement wasn't yet a thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing the stands out to me most often - aside from the fantastic shot where Troy and Archer are on the opposite sides of a wall with a mirror on both sides and they turn and face the image of their mortal enemy - is the raid on the villain's hideout (after Cage's "I want to take his face ... off" rambling). During the raid, Gina Gershon puts headphones on her son and cranks the music so he won't hear the bullets.  Well, in order to drown out the bullets, the music has to be louder than the decibels of gunfire, which would already be deafening.  So, good job, Gina, now your son's deaf.

Oh, and Cinema Sins "smell my hand" bonus round might ruin the movie a little bit for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2018 at 5:12 PM, AxB said:

If you watch Face/Off again, it's really jarring how pre-CGI it is. I'm thinking especially the scene where the two lead actors go flying through the air, and both of their stunt doubles get a ton of full face screen time. Because digital face replacement wasn't yet a thing.

Speaking of Woo, I just watched Hard Target again, and similarly Van Damme’s stunt double is all over it. You can mostly tell when it’s him because the wig the guy is in is a horrible approximation of JCVD’s glorious mullet. Meanwhile, it has Lance Henriksen not using a double and allowing himself to be set on fire and looking like the biggest badass alive. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nate said:

The thing the stands out to me most often - aside from the fantastic shot where Troy and Archer are on the opposite sides of a wall with a mirror on both sides and they turn and face the image of their mortal enemy - is the raid on the villain's hideout (after Cage's "I want to take his face ... off" rambling). During the raid, Gina Gershon puts headphones on her son and cranks the music so he won't hear the bullets.  Well, in order to drown out the bullets, the music has to be louder than the decibels of gunfire, which would already be deafening.  So, good job, Gina, now your son's deaf.

Oh, and Cinema Sins "smell my hand" bonus round might ruin the movie a little bit for you.

You know Lennie James, from the Walking Dead? I've seen two separate interviews, years apart, where he's said his dream project is to tell the story of what that kid was like when he grew up. Because when you figure the movie ends with Sean Archer and his family adopting him... sooner or later they're going to have to tell him what happened to his biological parents. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I liked this better when it was called Shaun of the Dead, but at least you will have a companion yuletide horror movie on your DVD shelf to sit next to Silent Night, Deadly Night and Black Christmas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched Mandy. I'm not really sure what to say. It's pretty well indefensible, in a good way. The funny parts were really, really funny, and I appreciate the sentiment behind it even if it just is what it is. As close as Panos' interests are and psyche is to mine, this is still a film I would have never in a million years have written, so congrats? 

"THAT WAS MAH FAVORITE SHIRT!!!"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlackBoxTV is returning to its scary YouTube ways starting the first of next year when they launch a new tube series entitled WELCOME TO DAISYLAND~!  It has a very 31ish feel to it and the soundtrack is provided by a band called the Dead Daisies.

I did not post the trailer here because it is very very very very not safe for work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

With the people reading this thread it isn't really an issue but I want to say anyway that this trailer spoils the plot of the first movie

Thanks for mentioning that. I actually still haven't seen the first film yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its really weird how they do it too.

Like it isn't a "Oh I watched the first movie so I realize they spoiled everything" it was literally the main character going "This is what happened the first time" and then the trailer doing a flashback

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Life was actually pretty damn good. The monster was totally unconvincing, not-scary CGI, but the acting (nice ensemble) and the eventual beats of doom made it quite the kick in the nuts of a movie. Surprisingly it ended up being a meditation on loss to a certain extent. The end

Spoiler

with the lifeboats going the wrong directions, the creature taking its only actually creepy form in the film, and a pair of fucking Vietnamese fishermen finding it,

is brutally downbeat and perfect. The soundtrack helps it out immensely, as well. 

And because it should be brought up yes it rips off Alien pretty hard but pretty well. I actually don't mind that because you don't see too many films trying that on a legit level. Of course it isn't close (I rewatched it last weekend), but the effort is admirable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I finally got around to watching Get Out and I have thoughts. Guess I'll keep them in spoilers. 

Spoiler

Everything about this screamed Stepford Wives from the get-go and it makes me a little - a little - surprised it got the responses from people it did. I also think hypnosis is up there with 'we only use 10% of our brain' as the laziest writing trick this side of time travel. 

That said... the parable itself strikes its own, beautiful tone. I'm sure plenty of reviewers and writers have already delved into how the Sunken Place is a real part of society, and there are elements of it occurring throughout the movie (Andre walking away from the car, Chris defusing repeated disagreements).  

Also, if they took Rod's lines about the TSA and the house and flipped them in order, you'd have the best comedic ending to a horror movie ever. May still be that even as it is. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

M. Night Shyamalan revealed that his Tales From the Crypt reboot is no longer happening.

I guess basically he wasnt able to convince the people who owned the rights to let him do it

I want to say that sucks, but the last time I read about it they said TNT would’ve been the landing spot. Regardless if it was M. Night that was meaning the ship, and it had a tone of his films then that had potential to be a massive disappointment after years of not having fresh Tales. 

If M. Night is done with the project, then I’d really like the Cohen Bros. try their hand at it. Me suggesting that is inspired by watching Buster Scruggs recently, and getting that same Tales From The Crypt mean spirited dark comedy that the HBO show had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

M. Night Shyamalan revealed that his Tales From the Crypt reboot is no longer happening.

If Glass is as good as the trailers make it out to be, I'd rather he continue to tinker and redeem the Shyamalanananananverse and its characters rather than wing it on Tales From The Crypt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I understood the Tales from the Crypt concept was going to probably disappoint people anyway. It was going to be more like an Elvira/Svengoolie/Joe Bob Briggs deal, where on Saturday or Friday Night, you'd tune into TNT to watch a movie and the Crypt Keeper would periodically pop up with bits and maybe some horror shorts to fill up the evening.

I actually like that idea because I always loved the concept of people hosting a movie on TV and providing commentary/trivia/recipes for food inspired by the film. But if you were wanting a new anthology horror show, I don't think that was ever the idea, which may be why they didn't give TNT/M. Night the rights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

From what I understood the Tales from the Crypt concept was going to probably disappoint people anyway. It was going to be more like an Elvira/Svengoolie/Joe Bob Briggs deal, where on Saturday or Friday Night, you'd tune into TNT to watch a movie and the Crypt Keeper would periodically pop up with bits and maybe some horror shorts to fill up the evening.

I actually like that idea because I always loved the concept of people hosting a movie on TV and providing commentary/trivia/recipes for food inspired by the film. But if you were wanting a new anthology horror show, I don't think that was ever the idea, which may be why they didn't give TNT/M. Night the rights.

Oh wow, I did not know that. On the surface a modern Joe Bob Monstervision show doesn’t seem so bad, and in fact could be cool for young people who’ve never seen these forgotten horror movies of syndication, like I did back in the day. But it’s a new era of Netflix, and other streaming services, and it seems pointless to try this. Also to do this right they need to set aside a good chunk of programming that wouldn’t be dedicated to commercials, and I can’t see a TV executive agreeing to that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I actually like that idea because I always loved the concept of people hosting a movie on TV and providing commentary/trivia/recipes for food inspired by the film.

Like Wu-Tang Clan and pre-nWo WCW, "Dinner and a Movie" is one of those things I didn't appreciate until way after it was an ongoing thing that I wish I had been more into in its heyday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...