DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

Didn't vote for Wall-E guessing you meant SKOS. 

Glad No Country placed higher than TWBB. The music in that film was like nails on a chalkboard for me. Surprised to see Lebowski so high up when Groundhog was so much lower. Two of my favourite comedies.

11 minutes ago, piranesi said:

1) Andy Sidaris

2) ??????

3) ???????

4) ???????

if I put on my Joe Bob Briggs hat, I could probably make a really good argument why The Dallas Connection is the greatest movie ever made.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Nope, not me this time!

It was WNBB

All you people and your really freaking long screen names are clustered together on my file

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

if I put on my Joe Bob Briggs hat, I could probably make a really good argument why The Dallas Connection is the greatest movie ever made.

It was good, but it certainly wasn't no Picasso Trigger. Still, those are pretty big shoes that the son is trying to fill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Yeah, always the bridesmaid never the bride for There Will Be Blood. I think they'll forever be linked. I wonder if the people who voted for both placed them close together or if they generally think of one and it reminds them of the other.

I had No Country 23 places higher than TWBB. 

Right before reality destroyed my free time. I was going to do a series of reviews on the Sidaris & Son "classics" for Movie Feast..

I may still have the notes for the first three reviews (Malubu Express, Guns, Picasso Trigger) somewhere on my laptop.

One day I will be brave enough to get the Sidaris 12 film compendium (Girls, Guns & G-Strings) from my local K-Mart.  After that I will probably be sleeping in the garage for a while.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Right before reality destroyed my free time. I was going to do a series of reviews on the Sidaris & Son "classics" for Movie Feast..

I may still have the notes for the first three reviews (Malubu Express, Guns, Picasso Trigger) somewhere on my laptop.

One day I will be brave enough to get the Sidaris compendium, (Girls, Guns & G-Strings) from my local K-Mart.  After that I will probably be sleeping in the garage for a while.

One must be willing to suffer for their art... This got me real familiar with the attic...

Image result for goon lee pelan

Goon

by Edward Lee, John Pelan, Micah Hayes (Illustrator)

Six-foot-nine and four hundred pounds, GOON is a one-man gore-machine of the Wrestling Conference. Police captain Philip Straker isn't a wrestling fan. The bodies pile up like dirty laundry: sex-obsessed tramps used as playthings by some unspeakable creature. Straker is determined to solve the rash of rape and mutilation murders with trimmings that beggar description. Reporter Melinda Pierce will do anything to find out, by offering herself up in order to infiltrate the arcane and lust-drenched warrens of backstage wrestling. This human juggernaut, this masked rack of guts, muscle, and mayhem... Is Goon just a wrestler gone insane? Or is he something hideously worse? "A raunchy riot of wraslin', ringrats, and no-holds-barred-sex. A must for hardcore fans of over-the-top action, and outrageous thrills." -Lucy Taylor. 

• Like 1

Well well, caught the end of M on TCM just now. Lorre's speech/unraveling is so good. The man knew something about torment, being addicted to morphine, and I don't know if he was as yet that deep into it to tap into that but either way the moment was intense. And of course the open loathing of the common mob is right there. Lang managed to sneak that right under the Nazis' noses, the fools. 

Watched Westworld too and never realized that the blueprint for not only the Terminator but specifically the T-1000 was right there in Yul Brenner's gunslinger. That's also the other issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland that I forgot I had:

Spoiler

il_570xN.710103962_e9j2.jpg

That second poster for No Country that J.T. posted is awesome with the shotgun silencer right in the middle. 

EDIT: Oh, and the Predator too, with the gunslinger's vision capabilities. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I'm rolling out to play some Andromeda and catch the DVR playback of M before this evening's awesome TCM line-up kicks in.

I'm just hoping it hits my provider's on demand through their app since I can't access the TCM app through Time Warner - Spectrum.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

29) ROCKY (1976)

Director: John G. Avildsen

638 Points (12 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Paco (#5) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, Ed, Execproducer, Chaos, Raziel, CSC, JT, Lacelle, Sublime, Caley, Natural

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (93%) : METACRITIC (69)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #6 (70s)

I had 'Rocky' at #20 and somehow thought I had forgotten to put it on my list.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

25) THE BIG LEBOWSKI (1998)

Director: The Coen Brothers

679 Points (13 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: Caley (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Hobo Joe, Cyanide, Sublime, CSC, (BP), Lacelle, Z, Raziel, Chaos, DFA, KLOS, Tbarrie

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (81%) : METACRITIC (69)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #6 (90s V2), #10 (90s V1)

There isn't a movie around that I haven't watched more 'The Big Lebowski'.  Somehow after 30+ viewings, there are still things I'm catching for the first time.  Just relentlessly silly and fun.  As of this moment, my favourite scene is when The Dude meets Knox Harrington.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

23) THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (1994)

Director: Frank Darabont

719 Points (11 Votes + 3 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#2) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, DFA, WNBB, Chaos, Z, Paco, CSC, JT, Caley, Cyanide- HONORABLE MENTION: Sublime, Hobo Joe, KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (91%) : METACRITIC (80)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #4 (90s V2), #3 (90s V1)

My #45.  I honestly don't get the hate.  It's a great film.  Terrific performances by the main actors (Robbins, Freeman and Gunton) and has some really wonderful shots and a really good, moving story.  I love it.  And, I mean, who am I to argue with Roger Ebert who gave it 3.5 stars out of 4, then upped it to 4 and named it to his "Great Movies" list.

My favourite shot of the film.
shawshank-opera.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I'm rolling out to play some Andromeda and catch the DVR playback of M before this evening's awesome TCM line-up kicks in.

I'm missing Double Indemnity (will be working and never seen), Cape Fear (never seen all the way through) Point Blank (which was autotuned, never seen) and Little Caesar (bit late to stay up but never seen) because I'm staying at a friend's tonight. Our choices for visual stimuli instead?

Bad Santa 2 and the Chappelle specials on Netflix. 

*sigh* I need to invest in a DVR after my tax return comes in.

Just so RIPPA doesn't feel like he's absolutely spitting in the wind with this project, I will let him know that I've been noting all of the #1 votes for a watch or rewatch at a later date. 

For those doing the same, just be happy I didn't rank Michael Mann's Miami Vice where I really wanted to. And yes, that movie made my Top 100. 

rbsjfkv5

20) UNFORGIVEN (1992)

Director: Clint Eastwood

751 Points (13 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Tbarrie (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Execproducer, DFA, RIPPA, Raziel, Chaos, Magnificent 7, JT, (BP), New Blood, JH, Cyanide, Natural - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (95%) : METACRITIC (82)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #3 (90s V2), #7 (90s V1)

2001-A-Space-Odyssey_poster_goldposter_com_54.jpg@0o_0l_800w_80q

19) 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)

Director: Stanley Kubrick

753 Points (12 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: New Blood (#1) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, Chaos, DFA, Raziel, Z, Magnificent 7, CSC, JT, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Jae - HONORABLE MENTION: Caley

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (86)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #2 (60s)

reservoir_dogs_mockup_movie_poster_by_ajasc-d6hn9u9

18) RESERVOIR DOGS (1992)

Director: Quentin Tarantino

764 Points (13 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Cyanide (#7) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, KLOS, Execproducer, Chaos, Z, Magnificent 7, Paco, CSC, Lacelle, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Natural - HONORABLE MENTION: Ed

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%) : METACRITIC (78)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #7 (90s V2), #5 (90s V1)

ise_bride

17) THE PRINCESS BRIDE (1987)

Director: Rob Reiner

775 Points (13 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTES: Tbarrie & CSC (#3) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: RIPPA, Ed, WNBB, Raziel, Matt D, Paco, Lacelle, (BP), Sublime, JH, Jae - HONORABLE MENTION: KLOS

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (97%) : METACRITIC (77)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #8 (80s)

enhanced-buzz-30533-1327683975-4

16) THE SHINING (1980)

Director: Stanley Kubrick

800 Points (14 Votes) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#10) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: WNBB, DFA, Chaos, Z, CSC, Magnificent 7, Lacelle, (BP), New Blood, Hobo Joe, Sublime, Jae, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%) : METACRITIC (61)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #10 (80s)

Okay - a few things

The Shining brings up into the 800s in terms of point totals

Also from here on out all the movies high vote was AT LEAST #4

Now - I have already sacrificed not playing Mass Effect Andromeda long enough for you people so everything else goes up tomorrow