DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

nwtcnhqf

172) BEING THERE (1979)

Director: Hal Ashby

193 Points (3 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Lacelle (#8) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: (BP), Caley - HONORABLE MENTION: Ed

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%)

Criterion Collection: YES (Upcoming Release)

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #29 (70s)

• Like 1

shaun-of-the-dead-mondo-tyler-stout-regular

171) SHAUN OF THE DEAD (2004)

Director: Edgar Wright

193 Points (3 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Natural (#12) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: CSC, Sublime - HONORABLE MENTION: KLOS, Cyanide

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (92%) : METACRITIC (76)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: #17 (2000s)

• Like 1

Funny story I just learned about BEING THERE.

The final crazy ass scene was improvised. Which sounds ridiculous if you've seen the movie, but apparently while they were filming in that location, Hal Ashby was like "Hey go get some plexiglass and let's do this. It'll be cool."

• Like 2

178) Who Framed Roger Rabbit? My #83. Good film and gave it bonus points for influence.

171) Shaun of the Dead. The reasons I love this film like I do is: it's funny, takes place in one of my favourite genres, my favourite characters from the genre but we don’t say the Z word ; ) and pays tribute to one of the best horror franchises in George Romero's Dead series.

---

The Prestige is my least favourite Christopher Nolan movie. Jingus' issue is the same as mine but he expressed it best. Hope he’s okay.

Funny two Christopher Nolan films follow one another, The Prestige to Inception. Those plus Batman Begins makes three Nolan movies in the countdown.

I watched In a Lonely place a few years back when I was on a Nicholas Ray kick and it's probably my favorite Bogey. He's just frightening to watch because you feel like anything could set him off.

Also I just looked back at my list and discovered I'd left off my favorite noir film, which is a goddamn travesty.

They are basically two different stories with the same characters and similar scenes. At least at the end of the film, you believe that Bogie's Dixon Steele is perfectly capable of murdering someone in a violent rage, unlike Hitchcock's Suspicion, which is a film I love, but a complete cop-out of an ending.

In A Lonely Place is also one of Bogie's finest moments which is saying something.