DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Not to get all Eddie Trunk up in here but they might as well just call it the Rolling Stone Hall of Fame or the Jan Wenner Hall of Fame. 

In his defense Tupac had the most rock'n'roll attitude out of anybody on that list. When Pearl Jam is the second most rockin' in the group... (I love Yes but c'mon)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

They need to change the name, because Tupac is NOT  rock and roll. I know there are quite a few performers are like that in there, but still. 

Define Rock and Roll, because I'd agree with Curt McGirt in saying he's the most rock and roll of the current inductees.

5 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Pearl Jam, Tupac, Joan Baez, Yes, ELO, Journey and Nile Rogers are your Rock Hall inductees for 2017.

Two thoughts:

They're finally giving up on Chic after 11 nominations. No one wanted them in after the nomination process.

And Journey... Ugh.

Well, not exactly, Nile Rodgers went in as producer (which I'm totally down with).  They did the right thing and I'm sure we've seen the last of Chic on the ballot. Journey and Yes both nauseate me strangely, but I'm so happy that Rockin' Roy, Jeff Lynne, and Bev Bevan went in that I can ignore that. (Although, note to the R&RHOF, anyone with any sense does not call the three aforementioned worthies "ELO", that's the fucking Move, idiots...)

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not to get all Eddie Trunk up in here but they might as well just call it the Rolling Stone Hall of Fame or the Jan Wenner Hall of Fame. 

In his defense Tupac had the most rock'n'roll attitude out of anybody on that list except for Roy Wood.

FIFY ;-)

7 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

They need to change the name, because Tupac is NOT  rock and roll. I know there are quite a few performers are like that in there, but still. 

Well, my friend don't you agree that "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" sounds better than "Hall of Dead and Aging Artists We Can Pimp to Sell Magazines"? Just sayin'...

• Like 1

It's been reported that Lee Roy Marinell has passed away. He co-wrote Zevon's "Werewolves of London."

As for the HoF, my online voting mainly went for Kraftwerk and Bad Brains. No Dave Grohl speech for either of them this year.

I'd like to see Bob Dylan do a speech for Baez, and Tom Petty for Jeff Lynne and associates, but that's me selfishly wanting a reunion of what's left of the Traveling Wilburys.

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

In his defense Tupac had the most rock'n'roll attitude out of anybody on that list. When Pearl Jam is the second most rockin' in the group... (I love Yes but c'mon)

Why not make it the Music Hall of Fame? That's pretty simple.

33 minutes ago, Casey said:

Why not make it the Music Hall of Fame? That's pretty simple.

It kind of is the American music hall of fame.  It kind of celebrates all of the music that is uniquely American, even when it is performed by non Americans.  The term Rock and Roll is pretty much meaningless, and I have no idea why so many people think it means something specific.  It was basically a marketing term for radio, so they could play black music without calling it black music.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can go with that, based on what I just read. My knowledge of ELO is based on radio hits and on the booklet of a CD my mom bought for herself last year, I've never heard the Move, and the only Wizzard I know is a metal band from Finland haha

Did you say "Finland"?

• Like 2

That is WAY weirder than Wizzard. And I listen to a lot of Finnish punk and metal and it can get pretty out-there (for example, Impaled Nazarene, who probably wouldn't appreciate the Soviet joke... but you never know). That shit is just in a league of it's own. 

NSFW because fuzzy looking boobies 

Spoiler

• Like 1

Now for something completely different

I'll leave my, erm, more prurient interests out of the discussion and just say that this is one of the best covers ever. I can never play it just once. And hey -- Less Than Zero! Robert Downey Jr.! Jami Gertz! Uh oh... sorry that last one brought me back to the start

• Like 1

Thanx for the heads up, now I know to Soulseek it haha

EDIT: Boom, done. That was fast. Now if only they were handing out free LPs (and I the new turntable I just tried to install wasn't a piece of garbage that I have to replace)

EDIT II: Note: Do not buy an Ion Pure LP record player. Non adjustable arm that makes every record skip? Fuck off