DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

I don't think I'd ever see Colin Stetson live, but I don't think it's possible to talk about his album "New History Warfare, Vol. 2: Judges"  as anything less than a triumph. He has defeated his instrument like very few musicians can really claim to have done. His body and physics are the only limits left for him.

i mean what the fuck is this

I absolutely love both volume 2 Judges, and volume 3, even though I can't think of anything to actually compare them to. They sound like literally nothing else I listen to. Actually seeing him play you get a sense of just how ludicrously physical his playing is. It's exhausting but hypnotic to even watch.

Like, even watching the video, it seems impossible it's one dude making all these sounds. Where is the rest of the band? There isn't one.

I'm not a big reggae/ska guy (obviously) but my buddy mentioned that last night and put on the Maytals record from '64 that he bought the other day, and then after a bunch of Hub City Stompers songs. Listening to Prince I get the connection to the Maytals stuff for sure

And now listening to "One Step Beyond" I get the connection to all the different waves of ska. Hey, you learn something new every day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm not a big reggae/ska guy (obviously) but my buddy mentioned that last night and put on the Maytals record from '64 that he bought the other day, and then after a bunch of Hub City Stompers songs. Listening to Prince I get the connection to the Maytals stuff for sure

And now listening to "One Step Beyond" I get the connection to all the different waves of ska. Hey, you learn something new every day

HCS are awesome. I know the drummer Nuno from going to Red Bulls games (he founded GSU, one of the supporters groups) and he does DJ'ing as well. I think the Libertarian Party should adopt "Leave Me the Fuck Alone" as our official anthem.

I have a weird, dumb music question.  20 years ago when I was getting into Blue Oyster Cult, people repeatedly suggested I pick up CULT CLASSIC, their re-recording of their greatest hits with the lineup of the day.  In the time since, I've seen a LOT of those "we don't make money off the originals, here's a NEW greatest hits" records, and they're all generally reviled.  Are there any other "greatest hits re-recorded" records that enjoy a positive reception among the fanbase like Cult Classic does (or at least did at the time)? Or is it the anomaly it seems like?

Wow, I'm the biggest BOC fan ever and I completely forgot they made that record. Is it any good? I mean the songs are fantastic of course but is it interesting enough to check out? Also, did they do this just because they got the spot on the soundtrack of The Stand miniseries? Aside from the cash grab, of course.

The only other "greatest hits re-recorded" album I can think of is Retrobution by Extreme Noise Terror. 

Yeah.  Johnny Cash did one for Mercury after he left Columbia Records.  It's not particularly GOOD, but there ya go.

The practice seemed relatively common in country and blues with the need for labels to produce low-cost product and the artist (generally one who skipped labels quickly) going for an easy crash grab to record hits they didn't get much royalties for.  Generally they are awful since re-recording a track from the 50's-60's with 80's production is jarring.

One that I can recall getting some favorable press for was The Kinks' To the Bone which was basically a grab bag of hits re-recorded in an Unplugged style, mostly.

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

A handful of bands were going those "extended editions" CDs awhile back.

Oh had no idea what those "extended edition" albums were.  I still see them in cut-out bins but even then they seemed to be a waste.

On 9/18/2016 at 6:54 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I have a weird, dumb music question.  20 years ago when I was getting into Blue Oyster Cult, people repeatedly suggested I pick up CULT CLASSIC, their re-recording of their greatest hits with the lineup of the day.  In the time since, I've seen a LOT of those "we don't make money off the originals, here's a NEW greatest hits" records, and they're all generally reviled.  Are there any other "greatest hits re-recorded" records that enjoy a positive reception among the fanbase like Cult Classic does (or at least did at the time)? Or is it the anomaly it seems like?

Oingo Boingo did Boingo Alive in 1988. They rerecorded 30 songs and played them live to tape.

5 hours ago, EdA said:

Oh had no idea what those "extended edition" albums were.  I still see them in cut-out bins but even then they seemed to be a waste.

Yeah, they re-record the big hits but make them longer... I never actually listened to any of them. I did have the Coe one, largely because I didn't know that's what it was when I bought it. You know, until I played it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, they re-record the big hits but make them longer... I never actually listened to any of them. I did have the Coe one, largely because I didn't know that's what it was when I bought it. You know, until I played it.

I got burnt by a Charlie Rich best of like that.  There was nothing on the sleeve about it being all re-recordings.  They decided to hide that info in the liner notes.

I was curious about those extended edition discs since they were all like $5.  But I could never figure out why they all were only like 5-8 songs.  Now I will keep avoiding them.