DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Buddy of mine saw him in 2000 or so, said he pyramid-stacked nine shots before he went up to play. I think some of the members on this session were held under gunpoint too. Cool to finally hear him after hearing these stories through the years; the album actually seems to have as much in common with Link Wray or the Stooges as traditional Delta blues.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, PetrolCB said:

Who would pay money for fucking anything involving Ja Rule? Especially in 2017.

I can't say it any better than this man just did.

I imagine that the only person happy about the Fyre Festival's dismal failure is 50 Cent.

See Grind by Alice in Chains? Did they ever explain why the vocal mix in the video version is so different from the album version? Is it just because Layne was so strung out he couldn't lipsync an entire line of vocals, just the odd word or two?

Also, why don't MMA fighters use it as entrance music? Number one, it's called 'Grind' which is something they like to embrace. Number two, it has a lyric about your body breaking as I take you down. Which is exactly what grinders want to do.

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

See Grind by Alice in Chains? Did they ever explain why the vocal mix in the video version is so different from the album version? Is it just because Layne was so strung out he couldn't lipsync an entire line of vocals, just the odd word or two?

Single mixes are often different from what's on the album. Plus, Jerry sings lead on it, and wrote it, so he probably had final say in the final mix, since Layne was busy with Mad Season and being strung out. 

Listening to the new ATDI(yes, it's a leak, I don't care) until I get the actual album in much better quality in a few days. It feels like I'm 18 again and just discovered them. Now, don't go on hiatus again. Stupid opiods.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 9:59 PM, PetrolCB said:

Who would pay money for fucking anything involving Ja Rule? Especially in 2017.

It's not like Ja Rule was a headliner. He was just a co-promoter of it. The top 7 acts were GOOD Music (but who was supposed to appear, nobody knows), Major Lazer, Blink 182, Disclosure, Rae Sremmurd, Migos and Lil' Yachty. Those bands alone weren't worth the price of admission (starting at, what, $500?) but the idea of a vacation in the Bahamas or wherever AND getting to see all of those, plus others, certainly would be. All of those acts would appear near the top of any festival's bill, except maybe Lil' Yachty, so I can see why people would buy tickets.

The organizers, including Ja Rule, were fucking foolish to believe they could set-up a destination festival in under a year.

Pile Of Vomit Rotting In The Corner With The Corpse Of Your Worst Enemy > ICP > Ja Rule
Note, that first one can be a real band if you want it to be. Old school emo style.

On 5/2/2017 at 8:33 AM, Ace said:

So we've learned ICP > Ja Rule, at least.

If Fyre Festival was planned to be held in Oklahoma City, OK I'm almost positive it could have worked. But for them to start in late 2016 to plan, book and organize a festival in the Bahamas for early 2017 was foolish. A lot more logistics than planning a new festival stateside. Besides all of that, ICP have been running the Gathering for, like, 17 years. Of course they're better than Ja Rule in that particular case.

If I had the money (and the festival wasn't a total dumpster fire), I much rather would have paid $1000+ to go to the Bahamas and see GOOD Music and Migos, etc. than be in Oklahoma in the summer watching Blaze Ya Dead Homie.

so Billy McFarland (and by extension, Ja Rule) knowingly scammed a media conglomerate in Comcast out of $25mil, and National Event Services, all the while knowing they'd face lawsuits (and five of them have been filed already), for... what, short-term personal gain? One of those lawsuits is $100mil by itself. This reeks of festival mismanagement and people involved not knowing what the hell they were doing, not intentional fraud or a scam. 

Ja Rule probably needs the cash badly. He had those massive tax issues and spent that time in jail for it(while also spending time in jail for other things).

On 5/7/2017 at 1:46 PM, Casey said:

If Fyre Festival was planned to be held in Oklahoma City, OK I'm almost positive it could have worked. But for them to start in late 2016 to plan, book and organize a festival in the Bahamas for early 2017 was foolish. A lot more logistics than planning a new festival stateside. Besides all of that, ICP have been running the Gathering for, like, 17 years. Of course they're better than Ja Rule in that particular case.

If I had the money (and the festival wasn't a total dumpster fire), I much rather would have paid $1000+ to go to the Bahamas and see GOOD Music and Migos, etc. than be in Oklahoma in the summer watching Blaze Ya Dead Homie.

In either case you'd be able to swim with pigs.

On 5/7/2017 at 2:46 PM, Casey said:

The ICP side and the Twiztid side are beefing again so you wouldn't get Blaze Ya Dead Homie but if it winds up anything like the Canadian Juggalo weekend you will get acts 20 year past their sell by date.  Onyx, Ice-T, 2 Live Crew

On 5/1/2017 at 10:20 PM, AxB said:

Also, why don't MMA fighters use it as entrance music? Number one, it's called 'Grind' which is something they like to embrace. Number two, it has a lyric about your body breaking as I take you down. Which is exactly what grinders want to do.

Because Momma Said Knock You Out and Another Body Murdered are right there?

So Dreamcar dropped their debut album today, and I was curious how people felt about it. I REALLY like it, as it sounds like AFI doing new wave. Of course I'm a big AFI fan, so I'm curious if someone who isn't would dig this. For those that don't know, Dreamcar is Davey Havok fronting the remaining members of No Doubt.