DVDVR Message Board

Random music thoughts

Randy

Would it be wrong feel that the Misfits were better with Micheal Graves than they ever were with Danzig?

Yes.

I realize mentioning that would get me hung by certain fans of the band, but Graves is a great vocalist and the two albums he appeared on were very good in my opinion.  The Danzig stuff of course is classic as well.

Going to see Morrissey at Barclays Center on the 21st. Never a superfan but this is a rare chance to see a legend live.

Wish I hadn't been stupid enough to get TNA tickets for the 26th as I'm going to miss Foreigner and Styx.

Saw him in Lawrence, at a much smaller venue. Worth it, if he's in the mood to please. For us, he was - although a few other tour stops haven't been so lucky. 

Going to see Morrissey at Barclays Center on the 21st. Never a superfan but this is a rare chance to see a legend live.

Wish I hadn't been stupid enough to get TNA tickets for the 26th as I'm going to miss Foreigner and Styx.

Saw him in Lawrence, at a much smaller venue. Worth it, if he's in the mood to please. For us, he was - although a few other tour stops haven't been so lucky. 

I think Morrissey's on stage petulance is a little overblown at this point. I have seen him close to 25 times at this point, and I don't think his on stage complaining about the venue ever took anything away from the show. Listening to him gripe about how the House of Blues won't let him cook in their kitchen and whatnot is part of the charm as well, I think. 

Would it be wrong feel that the Misfits were better with Micheal Graves than they ever were with Danzig?

Yes.

I realize mentioning that would get me hung by certain fans of the band, but Graves is a great vocalist and the two albums he appeared on were very good in my opinion.  The Danzig stuff of course is classic as well.

If they had just been a regular up and coming band and not the Misfits they would get more love.  Famous Monsters is still a fun album.

I'm currently having a beer listening to Fugazi, Famous Monsters might be better beer drinking music.

Yes.

If they had just been a regular up and coming band and not the Misfits they would get more love.  Famous Monsters is still a fun album.

I'm currently having a beer listening to Fugazi, Famous Monsters might be better beer drinking music.

True, but really as long as Jerry isn't singing it is all good.  That 50's stuff they were doing was the shits.  

Walk Among Us from American Psycho is one of my favorite songs from any Misfits incarnation

Fugazi was one the best live shows I have seen. Wish they would tour again.

So, this might add to my whole "likes old music, hates new stuff" reputation, but HOLY SHIT is the new line-up of Queensryche good live.

Which lineup are you referring too?  I got the album with the band and the new vocalist and I thought it was pretty good.  The Geof Tate with a new band version I didn't care for.

I've always held this opinion, and I'm a huge MIsfits fan. I just think Michale Graves' voice was such a perfect fit for that style of music they were going for when he was apart of the Misfits.

Sidenote, I had the chance to see Danzig Legacy (last year?) and they were awesome. Wasn't expecting much out of it, since I don't know much of Danzig's solo stuff besides the "hits", but fuck I was blown away. I'd be remiss, though, not to mention Danzig getting into a fist fight with a photographer mid-set - like always. But, one of the best sets at Bonnaroo that year, right behind Kurt Vile. Even brought out Doyle to do some Misfits stuff, which I wasn't expecting.

hey so what are you guys doing oh that's cool cuz NEW DEATH GRIPS

this is “niggas on the moon”, featuring björk on all 8 tracks.
it is the first installment of our new double album, “the powers that b”, due out later this year on Harvest/Third Worlds Records.
the second disc is titled “jenny death”.
peace & love
have a sad cum bb
-us
  • Like 2

totally forgot about that, I saw that on my Facebook feed about an hour ago. Haven't listened to it yet, sounds trippy though. Death Grips + Bjork? Sign me up.

(Death Grips were also at that same Bonnaroo with Danzig and Kurt Vile, and their set was awesome too)

While I keep trying to figure out how I feel about Death Grips naming their record that considering the band has two white guys (and they've said everyone's involved in every part of the band in prior interviews), here's STREAMSDAY.

NPR- what am I supposed to say about this

333.jpg

"Noise" by Boris

1. Melody
2. Vanilla
3. Ghost of Romance
4. Heavy Rain
5. Taiyo no Baka
6. Angel
7. Quicksilver
8. Siesta

P4K- Copenhagan post punk about personal change and hopelessness. So far, my favorite rock record of the year.

147776.jpg

"Seek Warmer Climes" by Lower

1. Another Life
2. Daft Persuasion
3. Lost Weight, Perfect Skin
4. Unkempt and Uncaring
5. Expanding Horizons (Dar Es Salaam)
6. Bastard Tactics
7. Soft Option
8. Craver
9. Tradition
10. Arrows

• Like 2

The Misfits aren't The Misfits without Danzig. It's just how it is. Anything else is just a cash grab using The Misfits name. It's actually funny because Danzig is also the king of the cash grab, so it's sorta all the same. I grew up a giant Misfits fan, as any right-minded punk fan from North Jersey is wont to do. Whatever they are now isn't The Misfits.

I saw Danzig Legacy last year in Philly. It was HILARIOUS. "What the fuck is this Vitamin Water bullshit? I bet this is HIPSTER WATER!" That's something Danzig actually said. I know zero Sam Hain songs and only "Mother" from his solo work. But the few Misfits songs he did were so fun and awesome.

One of my favorite Misfits-related tales ever -- Danzig pulled some major diva act at some festival in Austin that was essentially a hold-up in an attempt to get some more money from the promoter, who said no, so Danzig did like ten minutes before walking off. The next day, Ted Leo -- a gigantic Misfits fan -- wore some terrible Danzig wig and did a ton of Misfits songs. Ted and the dude from Atom and His Package also once did an all-Misfits tribute show at a bar in Philly on Halloween. Got sold out before I could score a ticket but by all accounts it's one of the best shows that ever happened.

Sorry to say that I got tipped off to Tony Molina via a Grantland (UGH) article.

But that EP Dissed & Dismissed rules. Dear god is it good.

Quick review:

Tony Molina = Weezer's Blue Album if it was recorded on a four-track in Bob Pollard's attic + Teenage Fanclub and Evan Dando doing a supergroup combination of Bandwagonesque and It's A Shame About Ray. Add a dash of Ramones. I just essentially named all of my favorite albums. SO SO GOOD.

<snip>

One of my favorite Misfits-related tales ever -- Danzig pulled some major diva act at some festival in Austin that was essentially a hold-up in an attempt to get some more money from the promoter, who said no, so Danzig did like ten minutes before walking off. The next day, Ted Leo -- a gigantic Misfits fan -- wore some terrible Danzig wig and did a ton of Misfits songs. Ted and the dude from Atom and His Package also once did an all-Misfits tribute show at a bar in Philly on Halloween. Got sold out before I could score a ticket but by all accounts it's one of the best shows that ever happened.

That's a fairly accurate description.

(edited to add link to a Houston Press blog post that covers it, with links to Transmission Statement, and video)

(edited to remove a Steregum link that won't work)

He spent all day being a total diva dick, as you stated, possibly to hold out for more money although I've never heard Transmission directly state that. The famous story is that he said the weather was too cold and he wouldn't perform without french onion soup, so they had to send someone out to go find someplace that had it. This is fact, a friend of mine was the guy who got sent out and mentioned it on FB while it was happening.

The set itself was Danzig Legacy, they started 45 minutes late (I actually gave up and went and caught a surprisingly amazing Public Enemy set), and did their Danzig and Samhain sets (story above said they were listless, I caught the last Samhain song and it was eh). Then, at 9:50, he finally brought Jerry and Doyle to start The Misfits set. They manage to get two songs in and then the sound guys tell him the set is over due to the sound ordinance. He gets on the mic and tries to get the crowd to demand that they keep the sound on, but everyone is pissed because they fucked around so long. He starts trying to get people to riot and jump fences and no one goes for it. It was hilarious watching him fail. Thing is, back a few years before when Danzig (the band) played, they did some of the same shit starting late and playing past curfew so he KNEW what the deal was.

And the Ted Leo set was magnificent.

Really looking forward to that Lower album (and the Boris).

Lower played at Chaos in Tejas 2013. I caught them at the same show where The Men played their amazing set. Bought two 7"s from Lower, one of which is a split with Iceage. They sound pretty similar, and maybe have at least one member of Iceage?

<snip>

(edited to add link to a Houston Press blog post that covers it, with links to Transmission Statement, and video)

He spent all day being a total diva dick, as you stated, possibly to hold out for more money although I've never heard Transmission directly state that. The famous story is that he said the weather was too cold and he wouldn't perform without french onion soup, so they had to send someone out to go find someplace that had it. This is fact, a friend of mine was the guy who got sent out and mentioned it on FB while it was happening.

I would really, really, really love to talk to your friend about this. Oh my god, that must have been the most amazing conversation. "He wants WHAT?"

<snip>

I would really, really, really love to talk to your friend about this. Oh my god, that must have been the most amazing conversation. "He wants WHAT?"

Looks like he deleted the stuff from his timeline, dammit! He plays in Criaturas, so if you go see them you can ask. Of course, he was just the guy who got sent. The blog post has a copy of the original FB post by Transmission with the hilarious and sad timeline.