DVDVR Message Board

July 2016 NXT General Discussion Thread

Rev Ray

For whatever it is worth - Jericho and Bayley have been teasing her appearing for months now and Jericho stated Bayley was the most requested guest he has gotten.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Hold a MITB match and have Bayley win. 

The two women's rosters are thin enough without putting them in ladder matches. I don't even want to see what kind of bumps Sasha would take in a ladder match.

Listening to Bryan and Vinny, while I don't agree with some of their criticisms (their hatred of Nia is baffling) there is a fair point there about Bayley.  She's pretty popular, but not going for the title/winning it popular like she was before.  They feel she has far outgrown NXT and needs to go up immediately.  Going by the past few times she's been on TV I can see that.  But she's in a weird spot for sure.  Too big for NXT, yet I wouldn't trust the schmucks on the MR to book her in a way like they did in NXT.  I believe Ryan Ward is working Smackdown, and considering he was a key guy for NXT I'd definitely put her there.  If that means waiting until Takeover then so be it.

I also have to laugh at their and Meltzer's notion that if they wait too long she'll outgrow her character and risk being creepy.  It's not like she aged dramatically between last year and now.  She's only 27 and still has that adorable vibe to her.  Whether they bring her up now or after Takeover shouldn't matter in that aspect.

Meltzer brought up on the radio show after this week's NXT about how the crowd just wasn't reacting to the Bayley/Nia match and how that is a sign that she (Bayley) has definitely out grown the Full Sail crowd.

And Tim brought it up too that at the last taping - there is that small group of folks starting to boo her.

So there is clearly a weird dynamic were Full Sail is gonna Full Sail on her but everywhere else NXT goes - she is by far the biggest star. But of course - the thing most people see is the TV

1 hour ago, JCM said:

The two women's rosters are thin enough without putting them in ladder matches. I don't even want to see what kind of bumps Sasha would take in a ladder match.

You could make it by pinfalls and not necessarily a ladder match.  But something where the winner gets a title shot like MITB.

7 minutes ago, NickMD said:

Listening to Bryan and Vinny, while I don't agree with some of their criticisms (their hatred of Nia is baffling) there is a fair point there about Bayley.  She's pretty popular, but not going for the title/winning it popular like she was before.  They feel she has far outgrown NXT and needs to go up immediately.  Going by the past few times she's been on TV I can see that.  But she's in a weird spot for sure.  Too big for NXT, yet I wouldn't trust the schmucks on the MR to book her in a way like they did in NXT.  I believe Ryan Ward is working Smackdown, and considering he was a key guy for NXT I'd definitely put her there.  If that means waiting until Takeover then so be it.

I also have to laugh at their and Meltzer's notion that if they wait too long she'll outgrow her character and risk being creepy.  It's not like she aged dramatically between last year and now.  She's only 27 and still has that adorable vibe to her.  Whether they bring her up now or after Takeover shouldn't matter in that aspect.

When does the adorable vibe end?  You have a character that fits a particular age demographic.  You strike now while you are still in that demographic.  Every day she gets closer to the end of that demographic and you will not know when it ends until you have passed it.

• Like 1

I get that.  But would a month or two at the most really make that much of a difference?  The way it sounds people think it's going to be a year or two when that's not the case at all.  She'll be fine.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer brought up on the radio show after this week's NXT about how the crowd just wasn't reacting to the Bayley/Nia match and how that is a sign that she (Bayley) has definitely out grown the Full Sail crowd.

And Tim brought it up too that at the last taping - there is that small group of folks starting to boo her.

Bayley and Nia had the crowd big time by the end of the match, and the boos were just from few people that were cheering Alexa. I'd say both cases are an overreaction. Bayley clearly needs to be on the MR at this point though.

I see why Bayley wants to come in and work her way up but the best thing for her bank account is to be brought in as a big deal, get some big matches and sell some merch before anyone in power finds a new shiny toy.

The storyline is very easy to do. Sasha beats Charlotte for the title at SummerSlam. Bayley shows up on RAW, hugs Charlotte, wants to be there for her friend, and gets bullied by Charlotte and Dana. She goes through both of them. Sasha turns heel on her to protect her title and Bayley chases her. It's very simple.

9 minutes ago, NickMD said:

I get that.  But would a month or two at the most really make that much of a difference?  The way it sounds people think it's going to be a year or two when that's not the case at all.  She'll be fine.

Every month you wait to merchandise her on the main event roster, through Disney or Nick is a month of lost revenues.  She can be the Cena of the women's roster.  You are talking about millions of lost revenues per month.

Then again the WWE flushes so many opportunities down the drain this is not surprising.

I get that they were trying for the redemption angle with Bayley, but most NXT champs who lose move on, and in terms of how historically NXT Champs who lose are treated (outside of Bayley and The Revival), she does seem a bit long in the tooth in NXT in the sense that she really has accomplished everything she can there. 

They'll mess this all up on the MR, but Bayley will get over anyway, so I don't think it matters that they won't book her right. It's time for her to go up, preferably on Smackdown.

14 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Every month you wait to merchandise her on the main event roster, through Disney or Nick is a month of lost revenues.  She can be the Cena of the women's roster.  You are talking about millions of lost revenues per month.

Then again the WWE flushes so many opportunities down the drain this is not surprising.

I get what you're saying. I don't believe in the shrinking end date nearly as much as you do, but I do think they're not capitalizing on her, sure. But bringing her up to the main roster is not a magic bullet. It's more like killing the golden goose. I have a 14 year old. He spends 8 hours a day on youtube, if we let him, watching people play video games. If they want to make money with Bayley, they keep her in a controlled environment like NXT where she's not beholden to 50-50 booking or 6 minute tag matches or catty betrayals until it's her turn to betray. They keep her in NXT, give her a squash match a week, put that on youtube, have her go out and do something like visit an animal sanctuary or action figure factory or explore her history loving wrestling with another youtube video every week. Build her up to to defenses that can be on takeovers or whatever to push the network. 

The traditional model isn't going to work with her. And thinking what's missing is rushing her to the main roster where she can be treated just like another crazy woman like all the rest is just completing missing the point. It's not that they won't book her right (they won't). It's not even that they won't market her right either (they won't). It's that the machine does not currently exist to capitalize on her and I think it's closer to existing in NXT than it is on the main roster.

• Like 1

What they really need to do is push her through Disney and Nick to hit the demographic and blow her wide open.  She becomes The Rock in terms of visibility and Cena in terms of merchandise.

Why they are not doing this already?  Who knows.

I think they're sort of running on fumes for things for Bayley to do in NXT just because they've run the story:  underdog girl who always gets beat up or turned on by her friends, underdog girl who can't win the big one, underdog girl who finally wins the big one.  Girl who matures from underdog to Ace of her division.  Ace who loses, then suffers an injury and must work her way back to the top of the mountain.  Had they not done the Nia call up, I think the story should have been Bayley beats Asuka, Nia beats Bayley, Bayley goes to the main roster as Asuka is in the chase of Nia as you establish whoever your new core group is going to be.

It's great that Bayley has shown that he's good at working with people with less experience than her and leading them to the best matches of their careers so far, but the transition to the main roster is going to be tough.  A lot of us have seen the Bayley story of her rise through NXT, when she's up on the main roster, does she go back to square one and have to work her way through the entire pecking order again or does she end up in sort of the Molly Holly role of going out to carry the less talented girl who Vince wants to push and try to make them look competent in the ring?   Plus would she go to Raw or Smackdown?  Raw she'd be much lower in the pecking order, Smackdown, they could put her and Becky as babyface friends until you have to split them.

I generally agree with Matt, but given that they're going to call her up I don't see why they can't run a  video package recapping her NXT run and hyping her arrival. If they treat her like a big acquisition and giver her a couple of segments where she can show off how great she is at getting the character across she'd be set. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

So Asuka's never gonna drop the Women's Title....It was just thinking that once Bayley goes up to the main roster (Sunday?) there only regulars left in NXT besides Asuka are Peyton Royce and Billie Kay

I think Bayley's going to win the title back in August, but if she doesn't, they'll give someone like Athena a big debut and accelerated push and have her win it. 

I want this to work as much as the rest of you, hell, maybe even more as the parent of a 4 year old girl, and as someone who plans to never, ever expose said daughter to wrestling, as things are now, but we have a lot of evidence, historical and anecdotal, to go off of here.

• Like 2

It won't work the way it should because the company is both creatively bankrupt and incredibly sexist, but Bayley herself is so charismatic that she'll rise above the garbage and get over in that way anyway. It'll be shitty, and it'll take two or three years that should have been spent booking and presenting her properly and making money off of her instead, but we might as well get started on that path now. 

• Like 1

I think since people enjoy NXT and dislike main WWE programming, they forget that the talent doesn't really want to be in NXT for any longer than they have to be. Getting paid peanuts and working in front of 10 people a night in those rinky dink Florida shows has a short shelf life.

Listening to that Jericho pod, it's obvious how badly Bayley wants to move on.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It won't work the way it should because the company is both creatively bankrupt and incredibly sexist, but Bayley herself is so charismatic that she'll rise above the garbage and get over in that way anyway. It'll be shitty, and it'll take two or three years that should have been spent booking and presenting her properly and making money off of her instead, but we might as well get started on that path now. 

Remember that the talent is not allowed to get over on their own or they get dropped down the roster.