DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

The UFC has Cigano and A. Silva locked into contracts. No other Brazilian is a draw. Barao and Aldo have been tearing up ass in the states, but outside of Brazil neither is a star. Barao and Texeria have proven not to even be draws in Brazil (didn't Bader/Texeria draw something like 4K fans in a 10K arena? ). Zuffa honestly does not need The Brothers, W. Silva, or Shogun. Vitor is up there in age but is still a dynamic fighter who is act and kicking ass. Same can be side for Lyoto. I just feel the LHW division has too much dead weight that is being held onto because Dana fears that if he releases W. Silva, The Nogs, Shogun, and Henderson, then those 5 will lead Bellator into their Golden Age alonside King Mo, Tito Ortiz, and Rampage Jackson.

I don't see the reason for keeping the over-the-hill fighters in any fighting capacity as they have proven not to be draws. Henderson drew a terrible buy in Toronto. Big Nog last meant something in 2008 while Little Nog has been completely irrevelant to the mainstream due to constant injuries. The guy as of right now holds no credibility based off his last two fights and the few people clamoring for his return are regulated to his household.

The only reason why UFC has those deals in Brazil is because of most of the guys you've listed. You started cutting those guys, you lose a ton of money in the market. There is no guy on the horizon that is going to make that money back .The UFC isn't going to risk that. The brand name only goes so far in certain markets. Shields was expendable because he didn't and wasn't ever going to fight in the Bay Area/Central Valley area in an important fight. He hasn't fought there since July 2008. Henderson is around because they need depth running so many shows. Henderson vs. any bottom top 10-15ish LHW is going to sell more than Marquardt/Te Huna or Erick Silva/Matt Brown.

Guest Edwin

Great fight. Glad Leslie's making her way to the UFC.

I'm also clueless on what to make out of the virtual staredown between Barao and Dillashaw.

Guest Edwin

I wouldn't be surprised if Bagautinov becomes the first of several Russian UFC champions who are set to follow, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Kelvin's a beast and should beat Musoke.

Nate Diaz is trying to pull a Gilbert Melendez. No chance.

Guest Edwin

Mike Pierce is out of his fight with Demian Maia with a broken hand.

Alexander Yakovlev will step in as a replacement opponent against Maia.

Guest Edwin

DEEP will be streaming DEEP 66 IMPACT on UStream for $5-$15. They're currently streaming TRIBE TOKYO FIGHT from last year featuring Ryo Chonan's retirement fight against Dan Hornbuckle for free and DEEP CAGE IMPACT in TDC HALL featuring fights with guys like King Kaz, Kazunori Yokota, Yoshiyuki Yoshida, Hiroshi Nakamura and Akihiro Gono for a little more than $5.

DEEP 66 IMPACT is a pretty stacked card; Satoru Kitaoka vs. Naoto Miyazaki for the LW title, Kazunori Yokota vs. Katsunori Tsuda for the FW title, Yoshiyuki Nakanishi vs. Shunsuke Inoue for the LHW title, Takafumi Otsuka vs. Kenji Osawa for the BW title, Masanori Kanehara vs. Toshiaki Kitada, Mizuto Hirota vs. Daisuke Nakamura and some other decent fights between Japanese fighters.

Here's the link for those of you interested: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/deep-official

I like the "maybe he doesn't want to be a champion" line. Blackzilians is obviously known the world over for their successes.

Blackzilians is on a bit of a streak now. LaFlare, Evans, Michael Johnson, Trujillo, Anthony Johnson, and Belfort ain't exactly floundering. Plus, Eddie is Bellator LW champion. ATT has been around since 2002 and their only major champion has been Mike Thomas Brown with JZ winning that GP in 2007. 

I surmise Rashad probably feels the same way about Vitor since he does his training with Gilbert Burns (current Gi BJJ World Champ), Mutante, and his other homies. But Vitor does spar with other Blackzilians from time-to-time. Overeem only did stuff with Staring and Siyar, who also trained with him at Golden Glory.