DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I see that "last 8 fights" thing popping up a lot.  Can't we just focus on the last year?  He's 2-1 there (yes, Pearson was a win). That's perfectly fine. Maybe he and Gerald Harris can form a "I didn't please the boss" support group?

• Like 2

UFC has released Melvin Guillard for some reason.

He is 2-5-0, 1 NC in his last 8 fights. In addition, the Johnson fight didn't do him any favors.

Yet guys like Sam Sicilia are still on the roster. UFC wants to be a legitimate sport but continue to cut top guys within the various weight classes.

If this were heavyweight, Guillard would still be a top guy. But he's a gatekeeper now at best. You're not going to notice he's gone. He changes camps like people change clothes. 

Guest Edwin

Guillard has been signed with the UFC so long he's one of the guys you'd never think he'd be cut.

Menjivar getting cut doesn't surprise me though.

I think Guillard should've been kept on for at least one more fight.  The Pearson fight wasn't a win, but I think it should've been, plus he's got I think the most knockouts ever at lightweight.  But whatever, his career has been in decline as of late.

Diego Sanchez got an eight fight deal after the Melendez fight and he's 3-5 in his last eight fight.  Two of those wins were iffy split decisions against Martin Kampmann and Takanori Gomi.  The Melendez fight was awesome and all, but he's had a few crap performances mixed in there as well.  I think Sanchez has probably peaked as a fighter and isn't good for much except having some exciting brawls like Leonard Garcia.

I think Guillard should've been kept on for at least one more fight.  The Pearson fight wasn't a win, but I think it should've been, plus he's got I think the most knockouts ever at lightweight.  But whatever, his career has been in decline as of late.

Diego Sanchez got an eight fight deal after the Melendez fight and he's 3-5 in his last eight fight.  Two of those wins were iffy split decisions against Martin Kampmann and Takanori Gomi.  The Melendez fight was awesome and all, but he's had a few crap performances mixed in there as well.  I think Sanchez has probably peaked as a fighter and isn't good for much except having some exciting brawls like Leonard Garcia.

Dana seems to have a soft spot for TUF 1 guys like Sanchez and Leben (before he retired), so I think they get to stick around when others in similar situations would be gone.

• Like 1