DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I was this close to replying "when will the injuries hit" dammit!

What the hell can they put on the main event now? My bet is they move Chael/Wanderlei to this card.  And is this move because Rousey's bouts fell through?

Dos Santos/Miocic (or any replacement bout) isn't a big enough co-main event to being doing all that. They need the help in May when everyone has spent their money on Pac/Bradley II and Mayweather/Maidana. Cotto/Martinez is two later weeks after 173.

Can Renan Barao vs. Raphael Assuncao make this card?

I intentionally left that out. You don't go to the MGM with that fight. Hell, you would do that at the Marquee ballroom inside the hotel. I know Aldo and Barao are the same level of draw, but Barao/Assuncao is a fight you do in Northeast Brazil on FS1.

Aldo is already training so I guess they would have contacted him by now. It doesn't sound like he is too keen on a rematch from an interview I've read, but he is not in a position to negotiate since 169 was far from gangbusters in terms of buys.

Aldo is already training so I guess they would have contacted him by now. It doesn't sound like he is too keen on a rematch from an interview I've read, but he is not in a position to negotiate since 169 was far from gangbusters in terms of buys.

Who else can he fight right now?  Pettis isn't fighting him.  All the other guys in the top 5 are guys he's beaten before.  So it's a rematch or bust.  Mendes is ranked No. 1.  Aldo is in no position to turn down fights.

Not saying I expect Mendes to beat him this time, but that's the fight right now since Swanson has a fight lined up with Stephens.  

He's also noncommittal about making a move up.  

He said it himself that it was between Mendes and Swanson and now just Mendes since Cub was given a fight already. I don't think he has any illusions of any other options on the table.

June in the UFC is the August of professional boxing. It wouldn't be the first time a UFC PPV in June has gotten screwed over. Every June PPV in the TUF era has stunk when it came to star power and card depth.

The TUF 19: Team Penn vs. Team Edgar cast features a guy (Nordine Taleb) who was just on TUF: Nations.  The full cast pre-eliminations:

Corey Anderson (3-0), 24, Lincoln, Ill.
Kelly Anundson (6-1), 29, Deerfield Beach, Fla.
Anton Berzin (3-1), 24, Philadelphia, Pa.
Josh Clark (7-2), 29, Richmond, Ky.
Chris Fields (8-4), 30, Dublin, Ireland
Matthew Gabel (8-3), 28, Le Mars, Iowa
Lyman Good (15-3), 28, New York, N.Y.
Eddie Gordon (6-1), 29, Uniondale, N.Y.
Jacob Heun (6-3), 26, Coconut Creek, Fla.
Mike King (5-0), 30, Naples, Fla.
Tyler King (7-1), 33, North Attleboro, Mass.
Dhiego Lima (8-1), 33, Sugar Hill, Ga.
Adrian Miles (14-5), 30, Biloxi, Miss.
Tyler Minton (5-1), 26, Johnson City, Tenn.
Todd Monaghan (8-2), 31, Clinton, Iowa
Cody Mumma (5-1), 30, Henderson, Colo.
Cathal Pendred (13-2), 26, Dublin, Ireland
John Poppie (3-1), 24, Ettrick, Wis.
Doug Sparks (7-2), 31, Bloomington, Ind.
Daniel Spohn (8-3), 29, Columbus, Ohio
Joshua Stansbury (4-2), 29, East Liverpool, Ohio
Ian Stephens (4-0), 25, Ringgold, Ga.
Adam Stroup (5-1), 27, Denver, Colo.
Nordine Taleb (8-2), 32, Montreal, Canada
Hector Urbina (16-8), 26, Coconut Creek, Fla.
Matt Van Buren (6-2), 27, Chula Vista, Calif.
Bojan Velickovic (8-2), 33, Delray Beach, Fla.
Daniel Vizcaya (7-2), 28, Aurora, Ill.
Patrick Walsh (4-1), 25, Stoughton, Mass.
Tim Williams (8-1), 27, Millville, N.J.
Roger Zapata (5-1), 27, New York, N.Y.