DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

I guess my point was that Dana shit all over Woodley after the Rory fight.  So he is taking this to quickly battle that back (IMO).  However, if he loses Dana & co. could easily say, "Sorry, two losses in a row, bye."

Woodley ain't getting cut unless the fight with Stun Gun is so bad and he loses somehow to the point where you can actually defend him getting let go. If Guillard had a semi entertaining fight with Michael Johnson in a losing effort, he would still have a spot in the UFC.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

I actually agree, I think it's time for Hendo to hang them up. Not because he won't be a champ again, but because he's 43, he's lost 2 of his last 3 fights being finished brutally and I'm sure he can make some money as a wrestling coach at Team Quest.

Also I'm pumped they signed Thomas Almeida. He can be built as a possible future title contender if paired up against the right opponents.

Guest Edwin

Seems like Bellator has cut 21 fighters. No notable names on the list, unless you're a fan of guys like Hiroshi Nakamura, Travis Marx and Rodrigo Lima.

"some money"

I think Dan coming back at perhaps a much reduced contract says a lot about his mindset. He probably believes he can string together two (or three) wins and get a title shot just because the lack of stars at the top. Then, he gets a title shot and can renegotiate his deal for more than or about the same as what he was making on his old deal. Realistically, he won't get past the first step. 

If he wanted to do "superfights" and managed to win, then I can see UFC feeling slightly compelled to give him more money and give him one last title shot. But going through legit ranked contenders? It ain't happening.

If the Hendo that fought Cormier fought Machida, we might have something more grisly than Belfort-Hendo II. He didn't even look okay by fake leg kick, right hand standards.

• Like 1

Chael Sonnen going from a nobody in the UFC to a legit draw obviously was not enough for some fighters. Randy Couture doing plenty of interviews over the years discussing the importance of fighters branding themselves has meant absolutely dick. So I ask, what has to happen in the UFC for some of the fighters to realize that just showing up and cutting lame wooden promos does NOTHING for themselves or the company. The UFC presents the same narrative for its fights and its time for the fighters to show some personality outside of the set narrative and direct the conversation, impression, etc. in a different direction.

The UFC 174 buyrate is probably going to be lower than the buyrate for UFC 147. Jose Aldo is the worse PPV drawing champion in a post UFC 100 world. The fighters are clueless and listening to Johnson recenty talk about how he isn't going to talk smack or anything to try and sell the fights left me completely puzzled. For some reason, he believes that doing interviews and making the mandatory rounds, while remaining completely uninteresting, is enough for a strong buyrate.

Yes you did do a ton of interviews DJ, but what did you say in those interviews to get people interested in buying the PPV?

Here’s a basic breakdown from DJ’s interviews to promote UFC 174:

• I’ve had the best training camp ever
  • I’m in the best shape
  • It’s going to be a great fight
  • and mentioning 1000 times how much he respects Ali Bagautinov

These fighters need to get clued in that this isn’t the Ultimate Respect Championship and being overtly respectful hurts the promotion of the fight. He doesn’t need to promote in an over the top way like Sonnon, but he (and most of the current champs) need to stop this “golly gosh, gee whiz, I, I don’t talk trash, I don’t bark, I don’t want to be disrespectful to my opponent” crap when they’re interviewed.

It sucks watching fighter after fighter piss away the promotional opportunities the UFC provides them.

• Like 1

Jordan Breen did a press row segment with Damon Martin last week that was spot on about Demetrious. After UFC 174, Martin did an interview with DJ where he actually showed a bit of verbal charisma and said he was definitively the best guy in the world. But when the post event presser rolled around and Damon asked the same questions, DJ went into the usual "well, I don't know about all that" and "I'm just here to fight" etc etc. At the end of the day, these guys aren't confrontational. It goes back to what I said on the board a couple months ago. Why can't these guys say that they're the best? I think what alarms fighters is what has happened with Jon Jones over the last two years. But the one caveat is Jones can at least have viable foils. DJ is facing guys that are hot off the presses. Anyone who isn't team Alpha Male is virtually unknown. And the Alpha Male fighters not named Urijah Faber don't have a bunch of cache with people that spend money. That's why Sean Shelby is banking on Scoggins and a couple other people to get some impressive performances under their belt.

And yet, someone like Conor McGregor gets shit on by a subsection of MMA fans because...well, I don't know why. He's a damn good fighter, can hype the shit out of his fights, and is from an area the UFC wants to grow their market it (kinda like Gustafsson). He's a guy they can actually do something with in the lighter weight divisions.

Some guys are just uncomfortable being in the spotlight.  They don't want to rock the boat and they are "too professional" to talk trash.

Also to be fair, not every guy can be like Chael Sonnen or Muhammed Ali for that matter.  Guys who essentially created public personas that were basically pro wrestling personalities.  Some guys just don't have that, just like some pro wrestlers don't have that charisma to make a character work.  

Another thing in defense of Johnson, not like his performances before this were snoozers.  He submitted John Moraga when he was dominating the entire fight, and then he knocked out Joseph Benavidez in the first round.  No one saw that coming.  I think it's fine if you think he's got a boring personality, but he's an amazing fighters.

But if Johnson wants to make more money to take care of his family, then he should be chomping at the bit for a rematch with Dodson, considering that's the most marketable fight he has at the moment.