DVDVR Message Board

MMA Talk.

The Natural

Guest Edwin

Kid Yamamoto and Akiyama will be on the Japan card.  Jeez, I forgot they still had Akiyama signed.

And Gomi.

No way they set up KID/Faber in 2014.

I'm going to write more in-depth about this tomorrow, but...really, the UFC and Fox had no choice here. At best, it would be absolutely hypocritical of them to keep rolling out Sonnen on broadcasts, and at the worst, disingenuous and downright stupid. I know a lot of people think "it's not a big deal", but it really is - how could Chael be taken seriously when saying anything negative whatsoever given his complete and utter disdain for the unified rules?

The most astounding thing is that it took THREE positive tests for them to finally decide to cut ties with the guy.  Four years we've suffered through the madness that is Dana's love affair with Chael Sonnen.

• Like 1

He wasn't working as a commentator during the first one, was he? The second one came so close to the third that I can't rake them over the coals for keeping him on, but I think the "Chael Sonnen apology train" on numerous Fox Sports 1 programs was absolutely gross, and that's coming from someone that was liking what he was doing.

He wasn't working as a commentator during the first one, was he? The second one came so close to the third that I can't rake them over the coals for keeping him on, but I think the "Chael Sonnen apology train" on numerous Fox Sports 1 programs was absolutely gross, and that's coming from someone that was liking what he was doing.

No, he wasn't.  But he was still failing upwards thanks to Dana, even after admitting he had been illegally juicing since the Dan Miller fight.  But it should have happened after the second test.  What did we get?  Dana going on TV and making excuses for him.  Insanity!

Who will ever forget his "Chael was the only one to step up" season of TUF and title shot?  When the ashes settle from this time period, I wonder if Dana and Lorenzo will look back and regret that the two horses they backed the most were Chael and Ronda Rousey.  

• Like 1

The most astounding thing is that it took THREE positive tests for them to finally decide to cut ties with the guy.  Four years we've suffered through the madness that is Dana's love affair with Chael Sonnen.

Josh Barnett failed three tests...

Honestly, I think everyone is juicing.  I don't trust any pro athlete.

Yeah, but Barnett was ostracized by Zuffa for years.

• Like 1

Yeah, but Barnett was ostracized by Zuffa for years.

That's most likely because Barnett and Hume wanted a million dollars a fight after his deal expired. Hume, having all the connections in Japan, took his fighter elsewhere. The first failed test was just the icing on the cake.

And now we get to suffer for a couple years of Scott Coker's love affair with Chael Sonnen.  

He may be talking about a figurehead role in Bellator, which Meltzer was talking about him being groomed for in UFC. I dunno, really. I've seen and heard people talk about this. What the fuck would he do that Couture or Frank Shamrock couldn't do? He would essentially have no power. It's not like UFC Tonight was getting monster ratings to begin with, anyway. If he isn't able to build up a fight and then fight, I don't think Chael is worth a whole bunch.  Plus, Chael isn't the type to go for second best. He always wanted to be UFC champion despite not having the requisite skills to be one. He wasn't taking every essential PED under the sun just to be taking them. He would have to be super broke to fight for Bellator.

• Like 1

If Coker did drag him in for a management role, that's an even dumber possibility that I even would have considered. What would he even add? He has no experience as a matchmaker, talent relations, or any of that junk. And it's not like he's some sort of Bellator lifer with ties to the promotion and all of the fighters.