DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Twitter DMs work about as well as a text or an email these days anyway.

A few ex-cast members have been going public in saying that they didn't get any royalties when Best Brains owned the company. I wonder if there is some residual bitterness about that, even though ownership transferred to Shout Factory.

Counting in people buying bonuses, they've managed to hit 4.4 million, which means there will now be 9 episodes. They've also announced their guest writers:

Dan Harmon (Community, Rick & Morty)

Justin Roiland (Rick & Morty)

Rob Schrab (Channel 101, The 2nd Lego Movie)

Nell Scovell (The Muppets, The Simpsons, It's Gary Shandling's Show)

Ernie Cline (Ready Player One author)

Pat Rothfuss (The Name of Wind author)

Paul & Storm (Singer/Songwriters, they'll also host the closing telethon tomorrow)

Dana Gould (Comedian, The Simpsons)

Robert Lopez (Songwriter, The Book of Mormon, Avenue Q)

Returning to MST will be:

Charlie Erickson (musical arranger)

Beez McKeever (Propsmistress)

Crist Ballas (Hair and make-up)

& Paul Chaplin (writer)

They're going to be running a live telethon on Friday starting at 5PM PST/8PM EST

New consultant announcements:

Artists/Designers:

Wayne White (Designer, Pee-Wee's Playhouse)

Pendleton Ward (Creator, Adventure Time)

Rebecca Sugar (Creator, Steven Universe)

Steven Sugar (Backgrounds, Steven Universe)

Guy Davis (Artist, Sandman Mystery Theater)

Practical Effects:

Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

It looks like they've broken 5 million, including the add-ons.

Part of me worries that it won't be the same as the MST3K I grew up with, but part of me is excited for exactly that reason. It's not the same MST3K I grew up with, it's something different and new yet familiar at the same time. I pledged to get all the episodes, if only because I didn't want to only see one. It took a few episodes for Mike to grow on me, and same with any of the voice changes for the bots.

And if all else fails and I'm nostalgic for the MST3K I grew up with, I have all the original episodes downloaded (except the KTMAs that never got to the tape traders), and Mike/Bill/Kevin are still pumping out Rifftrax stuff, plus Trace/Frank are going on tour as well. I'm sure something will scratch that nostalgic itch, even if the new MST3K falls flat of what I want it to be.

Part of me worries that it won't be the same as the MST3K I grew up with, but part of me is excited for exactly that reason. It's not the same MST3K I grew up with, it's something different and new yet familiar at the same time. I pledged to get all the episodes, if only because I didn't want to only see one. It took a few episodes for Mike to grow on me, and same with any of the voice changes for the bots.

And if all else fails and I'm nostalgic for the MST3K I grew up with, I have all the original episodes downloaded (except the KTMAs that never got to the tape traders), and Mike/Bill/Kevin are still pumping out Rifftrax stuff, plus Trace/Frank are going on tour as well. I'm sure something will scratch that nostalgic itch, even if the new MST3K falls flat of what I want it to be.

I have personally soured on this project due to some of the choices, but i hope its successful for the next era of mst3k fans.

Cheap plug: i talk about MST3K:TNG and the old show with superfan (and hockey guy) greg wyshynski on the new episode of the pod.

Didn't all of the KTMA's come out on tape? Because its been awhile since I went through the box, but I'm pretty sure I have all of the KTMA's on tape.

No, the first three KTMA episodes weren't fan-recorded and never made the trading circuit. They exist on tape, but Jim Mallon is the only one known to have copies. He did post clips of host segments, if I'm not mistaken, but the whole episodes never made it out.

The pilot was shown at conventions, but that's about it.

I'm involved with a lot of live streaming production, and I am simultaneously horrified by the testing (or lackthereof) and laughing like crazy because Patton Oswalt is doing exactly what I've always wanted to do whenever we had a glitch.