DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

• 5 months later...

Joel is also doing an AMA on Reddit later today to plug this and Turkey Day 2015.

Known:

Joel will not be the host. Trace will not be back as Clayton Forrester, at least in any sort of regularity. There will be a new host and a new Mad.

This will not affect Rifftrax selling old MST3K episodes.

Conjecture:

It looks like he and Shout Factory may have bought Best Brains. It's since been named Consolidated Puppets.

Jim Mallon is listed as CEO of CP.

Trace Beaulieu is back as Crow.

Kevin Murphy is not back as Tom Servo. It sounds like it might be J Elvis Weinstein, who was the original voice on KTMA.

I assume Mallon will be back as Gypsy.

Doesn't $2 million seem insane to shoot 3 episodes of a show featuring things in front of a green screen?

And aren't they doing this arse-backward? You figure that with 1 billion tv channels and streaming services, someone would love to get their hands on MST3K. Is it really that difficult to make a deal? May be, if three episodes cost $2 million.

2 million = three episodes

3.3 million = six episodes

So that bears out, to a point. I would still make a TV deal first, one that would hopefully supply you with movies. I dunno why SyFy wouldn't bring them back - with Joel back and no more the-definition-of-hit-and-miss Pearl, Bobo and Brain guy, there'd be a couple of years of decent nostalgia ratings at least.

Still, they're up to more than 500K already.

The other thing is that MST3K has always been a fan driven property. What better way to get fan excitement underway than offering ownership to a base that feels like it's family?

sorry, very brief aside, but this is 100% not how Kickstarter works. Kickstarter is not publicly accessible ownership, it's the public agreeing to take on the financial risk of the investment and production. If it was ownership, backers would receive return on investment as well as myriad rights as part-owners of a company. A consumer product is not a return on investment. I'm not saying this to be like "UGH HOW DO YOU NOT" but I think most frustration with kickstarted projects that fail or don't deliver is rooted in not understanding this difference, so I'm just trying to help.

... that's really all I've got. I have the full run of MST3K and I haven't watched all of that stuff, so if I wanted to watch MST3K that was new to me I'm set. If it gets funded, I hope it's good.

I've been following one guy who produced his own pilot with puppets that looks pretty high quality and it cost him about $100,000.  All union and with some known performers and with post-production and sound and color correction and all that stuff and some nice special effects even.

2 million for 3 episodes of MST3K sounds kind of crazy suspicious to me.

I don't have the time or effort to explain all the ways that comment is fucking nonsensical so I won't even try.

The truth is that $400K an episode is actually FUCKING CHEAP. For example the average Broadcast or Cable TV show BEFORE the salaries are thrown in is about $500K-$1 Million an EPISODE. Lucha Undergrounds budget was estimated at $12 MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS.

There's a lot of start up costs. Creating sets, hiring people, renting space. That's a million dollars easy. Then for talent, buying rights to movies and doing all the actual work on actual episodes that's probably $400K-$500K.

I'm sorry if I've come off as disrespectful to you. But I can't fucking stand when people go "Well this looks suspicious because I have proof that you can do it for cheaper because THIS ONE TIME I SAW SOMEONE DO SOMETHING." Sorry. That doesn't count as research. I've followed TV and movie production for a long time and I can tell you $100K for one episode isn't the norm. In fact I'm fairly certain if I had watched this show without knowing its cost I would be able to tell that it's budget cracks the $100K mark barely.

There are tons of things that are in a major production of something that you probably never notice. But your brain does. Post production, and just kind of an overall "gloss" on the finished product that you just can't do for $100K. You know unless you're Ed Wood.

• Like 1