DVDVR Message Board

The MST3K Thread

Ellsworth Toohey

Mine was "Hey, it's Bella Abzug!" from Circus On Ice. (Somewhere we have a photo of her about to verbally obliterate my dad from his days managing campaigns for Jim Scheuer in New York.)

36 minutes ago, rainmakerrtv said:

Finally going in depth on the Paste article and the criminally low ranking of the Coleman Francis trilogy tempts me to say it robs the article of any shot at credibility.

That threw me a little at first, but I realized he's incorporating the entertainment value of the movies themselves into his rating. The Coleman Francis oeuvre is fucking brutal even with M&TBs riffing away... now imagine having to watch them sans accompaniment. OTOH, take "The Magic Sword" at 29... it's actually a fine little movie in its own right, so while the jokes may not be top-shelf (SPOILER ALERT: they are), the relatively high quality of the movie proper contributes to the overall experiment value.

You can disagree with his methodology all you like, but this dude is clearly showing his work.

I guess I'm the only person who finds those CF movies fascinating. I just keep poring over them, trying to figure out what is going on and, more importantly, just who the hell are these people? I also seem to be the only person in the world who understands the meaning of "Flag on the moon ... how did it get there?"

Nice interview with Joel/Jonah from Vulture.

Will you steer clear of riffing on recent films?
Hodgson: What I wanted to do with this series is try to create a certain tone again. That’s a hard one to answer, because I don’t want to give away too much about where we’re going. But I guess —

Ray: Star Wars. Every single Star Wars. And because there’s only eight of ’em, we just repeat some of them.

:D

I remember seeing Starcrash in a 2nd run theatre when I was a kid. Two screener where all seats were a dollar. Few months ago, saw it was going to be on a cable channel so I sat down and watched. Not surprisingly not great. It's perfect fodder for MST3K indeed.

On 3/27/2017 at 1:57 PM, rainmakerrtv said:

I guess I'm the only person who finds those CF movies fascinating. I just keep poring over them, trying to figure out what is going on and, more importantly, just who the hell are these people? I also seem to be the only person in the world who understands the meaning of "Flag on the moon ... how did it get there?"

Put most of Coleman's lines in the mouth of Rust in True Detective 1 and people are calling it genius.

The soundtrack to Starcrash is going to be my only jam for the next week.  It is amazing while at the same time managing to sound like the score to any random episode of BANACEK.

It's by John Barry who scored 14 Bond movies and won two Oscars.

• Like 1

I suddenly think I've already posted about that movie ages ago, in this forum. Maybe even in this thread. Something something, memory shot, I really do get mad when kids are on my lawn.  Anywhere, here's the movie (maybe for 2nd time)

• Pete changed the title to The MST3K Thread, because there are two kinds of people in this world: people who love MST3K and people who are stupid.

I've only seen the first 10-15 minutes, and I'm sold.

Spoiler

The first 3 minutes is exposition on how Jonah ends up captured by Kinga and co. The exposition is provided by Wil Wheaton and Erin Gray.

There's an attempt at an Invention Exchange!

"It is I! Her Red Right Hand,,, TV's Son of TV's Frank!" "Nobody calls him that! Just call him Max!"

Moon 13 has a band! And Patton uses it for bumpers to go into non-existent commercials!

I've yet to see Kinga move at her own power. Probably trying to disguise Felicia Day's pregnancy.

Lotsa excuses for musical bits! 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I am a backer. I just finished watching Reptilicus. I am so dang happy right now. They did practically everything right.

Dunno what your rageboner for Jonah is, but he's quite good. He comes off kinda like Mike, but more upbeat.

On a separate note, all the bumper music that Patton does voiceovers for are instrumentals of old MST3K songs.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Ace said:

The only quibble I've heard/seen was that it's hard to differentiate Servo's and Crow's voices in the theatre.

Probably because we're not used to their voices yet. It's about the same as when people can't tell the difference between Travis and Justin McElroy on My Brother My Brother and Me. Right away, probably not, in a few episodes, I bet we'll be able to get it sorted.

Just now, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Is there any particular reason the thread title now thinks I am stupid?  I don't recall doing anything to upset the thread.

Do you dislike MST3K?

• Like 1