DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

OPINION: Disco Inferno is the greatest pure midcarder of all time, and every midcard guy should aspire to be as good as him.

• Took a ridiculous gimmick and made it work
  • Was quality in the ring, could hang with anyone, could make anyone look great
  • Never lost his heat no matter how stupid he looked or how many times he lost
  • Was never, ever afraid to look like a complete fool
  • 100% dedication to the gimmick
  • Could believably hold a mid card title and lose in 30 seconds in the same week

WOW! JOHNNY ACE WAS THERE TOO!

And Juan Uribe! Man, that guy does everything.

In all seriousness, regardless of how I feel about Nikki in ring, neck injuries are terrible so I hope she makes a full recovery.

You put Disco in the ring with the great WCW mid card guys like Rey/Eddie/Dean/Benoit/Jericho/Juvi/Kidman and he never looked even a step behind. He had a LEGIT match with La Parka on PPV in 1998, and a banger with Booker in 1999 that stick out clearly to me. But as a TV mid card guy, he was perfect.

OPINION: Disco Inferno is the greatest pure midcarder of all time, and every midcard guy should aspire to be as good as him.

• Could believably hold a mid card title and lose in 30 seconds in the same week

Disco Inferno started as a complete jobber but slowly advanced up to midcard. he was never less than solid, with some damn good matches in there too. i completely concur.

• Like 1

You put Disco in the ring with the great WCW mid card guys like Rey/Eddie/Dean/Benoit/Jericho/Juvi/Kidman and he never looked even a step behind. He had a LEGIT match with La Parka on PPV in 1998, and a banger with Booker in 1999 that stick out clearly to me. But as a TV mid card guy, he was perfect.

You put a corpse in the ring with those guys in 97-98 and you get an automatic 3 stars, that's not quite a criteria.

DI was a solid midcarder, and a good hand, but greatest midcarder of all time?  It's arguable, considering how WWF, JCP and the rest of the territories lived and died by their midcards in the 80's.

• Like 2

To hear most people that know him tell it, it wasn't that he was unafraid to look like a fool, he just was one.

To hear most people that know him tell it, it wasn't that he was unafraid to look like a fool, he just was one.

Living the gimmick, daddy

I think Disco only works for that answer if you put a lot of weight on maintaining a silly gimmick. As far as guys who could go in the ring, make anyone look better, and/or were more over, there's Malenko, Regal, and Christian just off the top of my head. They're so far ahead of Disco in those categories, I don't think Disco's ability to work with bad gimmicks keeps him in the discussion.

Disco's gimmick is only part of it to me. He was never, ever going past a certain point on the card. Guys like Dean/Eddie/Benoit/Jericho/Rey were featured performers for most of their runs in WCW. Disco was never on that level, which is why I describe him as a pure midcarder. A guy brought in specifically and only for the midcard, who was perfect in his role the entire time, but without the possibility of getting out of that spot.

Disco's gimmick is only part of it to me. He was never, ever going past a certain point on the card. Guys like Dean/Eddie/Benoit/Jericho/Rey were featured performers for most of their runs in WCW. Disco was never on that level, which is why I describe him as a pure midcarder. A guy brought in specifically and only for the midcard, who was perfect in his role the entire time, but without the possibility of getting out of that spot.

I'd say none of those guys had a shot to get out of their spot in WCW either, unless you wanna count Benoit getting the title after he had committed to WWE. I'll say Disco did the most with what he had, but since what he had wasn't much, there are quite a few people who were better in the role at the time and since.

Matt Hardy in WWE is another perfect midcarder, especially from 2005-07.

I'd say none of those guys had a shot to get out of their spot in WCW either, unless you wanna count Benoit getting the title after he had committed to WWE. I'll say Disco did the most with what he had, but since what he had wasn't much, there are quite a few people who were better in the role at the time and since.

Those guys had storylines and featured PPV matches. They were players, just not in the main event. But they were definitely more than just midcarders. Benoit had like...a 2 year featured story line with Kevin Sullivan that got almost as much time as the nWo. Eddie and Dean were US Champions, with matches against Flair and Sting. Jericho had as much promo time as anyone not Hogan/Savage/Nash in 1998. Disco was never even close to that level. The highest he got was a stooge for Hall and Nash, which no one took seriously and even Virgil punked him out a few times.

They were above Disco on the totem pole, sure, but 4 of those 5 never even sniffed the world title or even a DDP/Savage level feud that could main event a throwaway ppv during their tenure. They were featured as midcarders because they were some of the better performers maybe?

Sorry, you've been Regal-ed. Regal wins.

I might be crazy, but I think Disco was more over with the WCW crowd his run than Regal was during the entirety of his run.  I mean, Regal started off strong, but by the time the NWO was around he was another generic job-guy who got little to no reaction.  Disco got reactions right through his entire run.

Those guys had storylines and featured PPV matches. They were players, just not in the main event. But they were definitely more than just midcarders. Benoit had like...a 2 year featured story line with Kevin Sullivan that got almost as much time as the nWo. Eddie and Dean were US Champions, with matches against Flair and Sting. Jericho had as much promo time as anyone not Hogan/Savage/Nash in 1998. Disco was never even close to that level. The highest he got was a stooge for Hall and Nash, which no one took seriously and even Virgil punked him out a few times.

Disco had quite a few storylines, not the least of being his lengthy program with Konnan where Disco improved Konnan's music video...sorry, I guess he was supposed to have kayfabe ruined it.  He also had 5 Cruiserweight title matches on PPV, 1 TV title match on PPV, and a tag title match on PPV.  So I don't think it's fair to say he didn't have PPV matches or featured storylines.

Here's a sporcle quiz on all of Disco's PPV opponents.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/2mbs/disco_wcw_ppv