DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Also, because it's good to have an occasional reminder of what a piece of shit he is, Bill Romanowski tweeted the following before deleting it and backtracking:

"You'll never make it in the NFL with that attitude. The world doesn't revolve around you, boy!"

Clearly Cam just needs someone, preferably a roided-out pill popper, to give him a good sucker punch/loogie in the face to set him straight.

• Like 1

If Cam isn't aware enough not to do something his detractors already say he does, then what can ya do. He's still young, so either he'll learn from it or he'll just be seen as immature. But he can still be a great QB and be immature so in the long run I don't think it matters either way.

Sulking away like a petulant child pretty much is not being in control of your emotions.

The quarterback from the other team has been known to call teammates idiots (which was true in that case, but still) and throw his defense under a bus after a loss.  Pretty petulant, if you ask me.

Cam needs to be more aware of his circumstances, unfair as they sometimes are.  But let's not get into a who's the bigger baby contest.  Chances are, a player you like will be in the running.

It's going to be a learning curve for Cam. This is the "just because people say that you're going to do something doesn't mean that you will." stage. The Panthers will win a ring, it's not going to be as easy as he thought.

I feel like we were all saying this about the 49ers like 4 or 5 years ago. Arizona and Seattle will push hard for the NFC again. Green Bay could bounce back. The Vikings can take another step. Then there's Denver, Kansas City, The Bengals and Steelers, The Jets with Kaep and Tom Brady leading the Pats without the distraction of fighting the front office during the off season. Maybe.

I agree that, overall, the Panthers are probably the best team in it for 16/17 but all it takes is one injury or one INT in a playoff game or one off field issue to rise up,and it could all go away. I know I'm blowing this up, I probably want the Panthers to succeed more than a Saints fan should. I just hate when people assume a good team will take "their turn" and win a championship. It doesn't happen like that.

Marino and shula prob figured on going back a couple times after their loss.

• Like 1

Sulking away like a petulant child pretty much is not being in control of your emotions.

I'm not Cam or his psychologist but it probably is one of two things.

(1. He was about to cry and didn't wanna do it in front of everybody. Understandable.

(2. He was extremely frustrated and knew he couldn't speak the honest truth - his teammates as a whole let him down, particularly the WRs who repeatedly had balls put right in their hands that they dropped - and he ragequit instead of nuking all the good work the franchise has done by saying "well, nobody kept me upright and while I didn't play my best game ever, it would be nice if I had some fucking help". Less understandable but understandable all the same.

I guess "he's a petulant child" is a valid option. Maybe he had to take a shit super bad. We will never know. We do know this doesn't deserve an eighth of the attention this will get.

Hey, if you want to be willfully obtuse about what was going on there, that's fine. That's a fan's prerogative. But leave the lame excuse-making to Cam's PR team. They are well paid professionals, and I assure you, they are already hard at work at it.

Personally, I can't wait to see what kind of narrative they invent this offseason.

The Packers are the one that stands out to me. Sure they beat the Steelers so they actually have one but if you would've told me five years later they still haven't been back I would've never believed it. I honestly thought they would be in the 10s what the Patriots were in the 00s.

• Like 1

The problem is that it's going to fit right into the narrative that certain Hot Takers want this to fit in.

The problem is no matter what he ended up actually doing or not doing, it would fit right into the narrative that certain Hot Takers want it to fit in.

He even could have been perfectly graceful and humble and everything they say they want from him and they'd come back and say "oh he was being sarcastic."

The problem is the Hot Taker cottage industry and the market for it.

• Like 1

I don't think his actions are a huge deal because he's young but I don't think he's much of a leader at this point. There were multiple times in the game where the camera was focused on him from the time a play ended through the huddle all the way to the snap and the guy doesn't even talk to his teammates. He'd call a play, have a blank expression on his face and go through the motions. He wasn't fired up or getting his teammates up, he was pretty much sulking in the middle of the game. He doesn't strike me as a when the chips are down you want this guy type of quarterback. That's not to say he won't develop those traits but that sort of thing I'd expect an elite level qb who has played at the highest level at high school and college to have figured out already.

Cam is your classic top achiever who when something becomes hard, doesn't know how to process it.  Becuase 99% of the time, everything comes easy for him.  It doesn't make him a bad guy or a punk or unworthy or some dope.  It's something he'll need to work on.  It's that simple, but we know the sports media won't look at it that way.

• Like 1

It was weird. He's been a lot better about that stuff over the last two years. Yesterday, you're right, he was the old Cam. Whether he felt he wasn't getting flags they could probably throw or he didn't like getting his shit kicked in or he didn't like the play calling which was atrocious, we'll never know, but I think it was one of those three things and you're not wrong, it wasn't great.

I don't think it speaks to poor leadership though.

Umm...they only lost two games all season, mostly because of Cam being incredible.  The Denver defense beat him to hell, and he played the worst game of his season.  It doesn't mean he isn't a leader, he isn't a petulant child, he lost the biggest game of his life and he didn't like it.  Should he act better after a loss? Probably, but I don't it really affects anything going forward. 

• Like 1

Well, I'll just say this: It's easy to be a leader when you're winning. Anybody can be Chief Ra-Ra Guy when everything is going your way, which it largely did for Cam and the Panthers this year. Grand marshal of the victory parade isn't a difficult position to fill.

The quality of one's leadership is measured by how you respond to adversity, and - at least for last night - Cam's was....really not good. He went into meltdown mode after the fumble, but he was really checked out of that game long before then.

People overburden quarterbacks with the leadership thing anyway in my opinion. 90% of the time your QB is your leader but some guys just either don't have that personality or they're young and it takes awhile for them to grow into it. So I feel like a lot of Cam's criticism comes from the overblown exceptions that comes with playing quarterback.

Teams that don't have that real strong QB leader who still win Super Bowls nearly always have veteran personalities to fill that void. Like the Steelers having Bettis and Hines when Ben won his second year or the Ravens having Suggs and Lewis around. Part of me wonders how the Panthers might have fared if guys like Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams had still been around.

I don't know how to post tweets, but the question that made him leave was someone asking, "Can you throw the football?"  Someone asked the MVP of the league, who threw 35 TDs and 10 INTs, if he could throw the football.  I would have left too.

• Like 2

I don't know how to post tweets, but the question that made him leave was someone asking, "Can you throw the football?" Someone asked the MVP of the league, who threw 35 TDs and 10 INTs, if he could throw the football. I would have left too.

Nobody was asking him that. It was bleed over from a Broncos player giving his post-game interview.

And that definitely doesn't make it better, but I can't decide if that would make it worse.

I don't know how to post tweets, but the question that made him leave was someone asking, "Can you throw the football?" Someone asked the MVP of the league, who threw 35 TDs and 10 INTs, if he could throw the football. I would have left too.

I would tell him to go fuck himself. Walking off is probably better than that.

• Like 1

Well, I'll just say this: It's easy to be a leader when you're winning. Anybody can be Chief Ra-Ra Guy when everything is going your way, which it largely did for Cam and the Panthers this year. Grand marshal of the victory parade isn't a difficult position to fill.

The quality of one's leadership is measured by how you respond to adversity, and - at least for last night - Cam's was....really not good. He went into meltdown mode after the fumble, but he was really checked out of that game long before then.

I'm really not sure what game you were watching, because he didn't "check out" of the game at all.  

Oh, wait, I remember why you hate him. 

10287096-large.jpg

• Like 1