DVDVR Message Board

Television shows / episodes that fucked you up as a kid.

J.T.

I've got tons of these.  To start, the camp counselor episode of Mr. Belvedere:

Weird because literally the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was the Different Strokes episode where the child molester gives Arnold the bike.

Also, I can't quite explain why but the Wolf In The Fold episode of Star Trek gave me nightmares for weeks.

• Like 1

The first time I watched the Batman movie (the Adam West one), there was one shot of a door that started to open... and then the show was interrupted by breaking news about the Falklands War (which was happening at the time). So I spent the whole time of the news broadcast (which felt like 30 minutes but was probably actually five minutes tops) totally scared and worried about who was going to come through that door and what was going to happen and how would Batman possibly survive when that door opened... (I was 7 years old at the time).

And when the news ended and the movie resumed, the door opened and Alfred walked in like it wasn't even a thing.

• Like 5

I've got tons of these.  To start, the camp counselor episode of Mr. Belvedere:

I used to hate the "very special episodes" of prime time programming.

The two part special on Good Times with Penny and her abusive mother totally kicked my ass.

• Like 1

An episode of Hill Street Blues where there's a guy holding a hostage with a shotgun. And he's telling the guy to beg, while the cop tells the victim not to beg. Eventually the hostage begs and gets blasted with the shotgun.

When I was really young, an episode of Ba Ba Black Sheep where a fight breaks out between navy guys and marine guys (I think). One guy pulls a straight razor on another and slices his neck. That freaked me out, big time.

I think I slept underneath my bed for a week after that Riddler episode.  The stuff of nightmares.

Who'd have thought that with The Joker as your arch-nemesis, the most traumatizing episodes of B:TAS would feature The Riddler and Clayface?

The ending of Mudslide fucked me up big time despite being an adult.

• Like 1

Oh, X-Files, how you were so awesome when you abandoned alien bullshit and went totally fucking Kolshack: The Night Stalker.

Yeah, I wasn't sleepy anyway.  I will just stay up all night clutching this steak knife to my chest.

• Like 1

Who'd have thought that with The Joker as your arch-nemesis, the most traumatizing episodes of B:TAS would feature The Riddler and Clayface?

I know we had a conversation about this when we were reviewing B:TAS a couple of board explosions ago, but Timm and Co. pushed nearly every button possible.  They had suggestions of prison rape (at the end of The Terrible Trio),  Poison Ivy plant babies (House & Garden), and Scarecrow's transformation in the final season.

We children/young adults of the 1980s/1990s never had a chance.  We were scared witless from the womb.

• Like 1