DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

Lucy Abernathy gets kidnapped every other week. You'd think her parents would stash her somewhere else already. How about if you guys just move to the lovely Red Rocket Filling Station or Croup Manor or any of the other fine farms and settlements in the Minutemen-controlled Commonwealth? I think the leader of the Raiders over at the Food Supply Storage down the road is lovesick and won't stop sending guys to snatch your daughter anytime soon.

• Like 1

I think everyone has a different problem settlement, because Outpost Zimoja is the one who always has an issue for me.  Those people are constantly asking me for something.  I'll go back to Preston to finish the quest and he'll send me right back.

I think everyone has a different problem settlement, because Outpost Zimoja is the one who always has an issue for me.  Those people are constantly asking me for something.  I'll go back to Preston to finish the quest and he'll send me right back.

You guys wouldn't have this problem if you weren't interested in, you know, helping people.

• Like 1

Finally made my return to Corvega after initially being sent packing with my tail between my legs. Oh, how the tides turned.

I occasionally get way too enraged when raiders specifically target Dogmeat. Like, I was going to bypass your shitty little base because I was doing something, but now I have to rain hellfire on you and anyone or thing that gets in my way.

• Like 1

Ah yes, Corvega. I made a post a few pages back bitching about getting my ass handed to me, and someone assumed it was Corvega. I couldn't remember at the time, but it was Dunwich Borers. I was just too low leveled and had awful equipment. I went back and got my revenge with my sniper rifle and modified sledgehammer.

I know it's not the best weapon, being that it's just a plain sledgehammer that I made "heavy," but damn if I don't love sprinting head on at raiders and knocking their heads off with it.

Most of my mirelurk battles are me standing there trading blows back and forth like Balboa and Drago.

• Like 1

Finally made my return to Corvega after initially being sent packing with my tail between my legs. Oh, how the tides turned.

I occasionally get way too enraged when raiders specifically target Dogmeat. Like, I was going to bypass your shitty little base because I was doing something, but now I have to rain hellfire on you and anyone or thing that gets in my way.

When I was traveling with Dogmeat and somebody targeted him, all I could think of in my head was "don't you hurt my dog lady! You don't know what pain is!"

• Like 1

I gave up on using Dogmeat as he just kept getting his ass handed to him every fight. Right now I'm using Preston who only gets his kicked every other fight. Why is the companion AI so useless? They weren't this dumb and soft in 3, NV, or even Skyrim. Also do the Minutemen quests ever take a break? It seems like every time I report one done to Preston another starts, sometimes even before the last one is done. I fear talking to the man despite being my current companion. I'm finally going Diamond City if only to find a new companion who won't give me half a dozen random quests.

Apparently Cait loves it when you slaughter Mirelurks as I came across a small collection of them right across the water from Sanctuary

In the middle of killing them I get the "Cait Admired That!" message and she is all "Can I talk to you?"

Umm... just a second... let me shoot this thing trying to bite my face

I keep having that giant mirelurk thing spawning in the construction site settlement.  I finally got pissed off enough at it that I built a bigass fortress with about 15 turrets on it.  Let's see that fucker try something now.  I just want to use that as a punishment site, I don't want it wiping out the inmates.  At least not yet.

My settlement numbers are weird.  I've got about 20 of em at the old pier/boathouse place - forgot the name of it.  The site I built there is a little goofy, in that to get to some of what I built you have to go up a flight of stairs and then make a small jump from the stuff I built to the existing boathouse.  It's right in the middle of the settlement, so they keep climbing the stairs and then failing to make that jump.  It's raining settlers.  Got excited because my turrets went off while I was there, and then explosions started.  I thought we were under attack, but it turned out the turrets targeted a couple of radstags and hit an old car nearby.

Apparently Cait loves it when you slaughter Mirelurks as I came across a small collection of them right across the water from Sanctuary

In the middle of killing them I get the "Cait Admired That!" message and she is all "Can I talk to you?"

Umm... just a second... let me shoot this thing trying to bite my face

She started that dialogue with me after I fast traveled into a middle of a fight at one of my settlements. Super Mutants were trying to murder us and the settlers at Outpost Zimoga and she started with the romance talk. Kinda reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean when Will and Elizabeth get married by Barbossa during the middle of a giant storm and pirate fight.

I keep having that giant mirelurk thing spawning in the construction site settlement.  I finally got pissed off enough at it that I built a bigass fortress with about 15 turrets on it.  Let's see that fucker try something now.  I just want to use that as a punishment site, I don't want it wiping out the inmates.  At least not yet.

My settlement numbers are weird.  I've got about 20 of em at the old pier/boathouse place - forgot the name of it.  The site I built there is a little goofy, in that to get to some of what I built you have to go up a flight of stairs and then make a small jump from the stuff I built to the existing boathouse.  It's right in the middle of the settlement, so they keep climbing the stairs and then failing to make that jump.  It's raining settlers.  Got excited because my turrets went off while I was there, and then explosions started.  I thought we were under attack, but it turned out the turrets targeted a couple of radstags and hit an old car nearby.

Whenever I fast travel to the Crossing settlement things are popping off. The whole community mobilizes to take out one bloatfly.

That Silver Shroud quest was worthless. I tried to save Kent a bunch of times and could never do it.

You have to pass charisma/persuasion checks to get the raider keeping Kent hostage to focus on killing you instead of Kent. 

I am almost done with the main questline; unsure if I'll go back for the sidequest stuff. There is a limit on what you can build in any given settlement (though there is an exploit to get around it), so I can't build the skyscrapers that I started all the way up without using the time-consuming exploit and building stuff has lost a ton of allure for me, unfortunately.

EDIT: Finished it. Spoilers ahoy (and marked)

I knew that choosing with which group to build the Relay into the Institute was probably a key branching point of no return, but I had no good save to go back to, so I had to end via Railroad/blow up the join rather than with the Minutemen, who I wanted to end with since they're a general NCR equivalent and I'm NCR 4 Lyfe.

Anyway, the ending felt really too streamlined. Too much violence with no ability to negotiate either alliances between groups or to at least find non-violent ways to talk down the opposing groups. I also thought that it was dumb that I couldn't at least have a shot at persuading Desdemona to leave scientists from the Institute alive/save the reactor to help bring clean water to the Commonwealth. Should there have been a very difficult series of charisma/persuasion checks to do so? Yes. Should I have at least had the opportunity? Yes.

Also, the ending has no Ron Perlman voiceover and does not at all discuss how your actions changed the Commonwealth/the lives of the characters. I think they kept it vague for DLC purposes, but New Vegas had elaborate endings and DLC on top of that, so I don't find it to be a valid excuse for such a milquetoast ending. 

I did like this game and hate to criticize too much, but I keep thinking back to New Vegas, which didn't allow you to align groups, but which did allow you to undercut them or manipulate them to do what you wanted in non-violent ways. Same thing with the personal quests for companions. In NV, you had to be able to pass checks with them and maybe even find secondary or tertiary ways to complete their storylines. In this game, not every companion has a quest and those quests that you do get tend to be go here ---> kill them -------> retrieve this.

I get why Bethesda streamlined the perks/attributes and why they added voice acting, but they need to drop that first change and go back to splitting the two apart so that I can actually create a more specific build for my character that feels unique rather than having a Wasteland Jesus character because there is no level cap and because you can very easily max out everything as a result. It also might inspire them to have a variety of checks/options for completing quests outside of "go here, shoot this." There really is only one sensible starting build that emphasizes strength, perception, and endurance in this game, which is very unlike any of the other mainline games in the series.

Yes, I still liked this game, and I'd rather play it than, say, The Witcher 3 because the latter's setting totally turns me off, but TW3 is a much better RPG. So is Pillars of Eternity.