DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

There's a Woj article on yahoo (can't link from my phone) that is more or less a hit piece on LeBron James and how he basically runs the organisation (though he originally wanted Mark Jackson, which would've been hilarious and a great match). Additionally Lue has also said he's not going to coach differently than Blatt, as much as he will coach better. And there's a flood of stories coming out ripping Blatt's competency. Lovely organization.

• Like 1

There's a Woj article on yahoo (can't link from my phone) that is more or less a hit piece on LeBron James and how he basically runs the organisation (though he originally wanted Mark Jackson, which would've been hilarious and a great match). Additionally Lue has also said he's not going to coach differently than Blatt, as much as he will coach better. And there's a flood of stories coming out ripping Blatt's competency. Lovely organization.

Woj wrote an article basically saying this is probably Lebron's fault? Did not see that coming...

Josh Smith getting traded back to Houston is getting overshadow by the Cavs drama, but it's pretty funny too.  I almost want to root for Houston eliminating the Clippers again this season now.  Watch your back, Lance.

The thing about David Blatt that got him fired is that I don't know if this team would be any better if they didn't have a coach at all.  They don't seem to have an offensive system that works to the benefit to their talent.  LeBron and Kyrie just take turns with the ball, and Love just gets what he can when he can.  They aren't going to beat Golden State or San Antonio when everyone seems to have a defined role within a system that fits their parts.  The Cavs only real advantage is that they're really talented, but the entire NBA is really talented and that won't be enough to win a championship any more.  They are kind of like the Clippers where their talent looks overwhelming until you realize that the pieces don't really fit.  Blake and Chris work, Chris and DeAndre work, and Blake and DeAndre work...they don't all work.  Every year one of those guys gets injured and the other two look like better players when the third is gone.  Kyrie, LeBron, and Love don't really make sense together.  I've never really figured out what the hell is Kevin Love even supposed to be doing.  He's good enough that he still can be productive without a defined role, but he kind of just stands around until someone passes him the ball.  Shouldn't him and Kyrie(or LeBron for that matter) be unstoppable on a pick and roll?  Shouldn't he get more post ups?  His 3 point range should be used more as a luxury option not a key feature.  It is kind of like driving a car with nice rims, but bad tires.  Having a power forward who is a great rebounder and outlet passer is more valuable to a team than a power forward who is standing behind the 3 point line unable to get rebounds or make good passes.  LeBron is not the same player he was a few years ago.  His shooting has diminished a lot, but his usage rate hasn't diminished much at all.  He has teammates who can play.  Nobody on that team should ever be standing and watching one of their teammates dribble.  They have too many skilled players for them to ever really run isolation plays.  Sure, Kyrie and LeBron can score more often than not on an isolation, but why make your team easier to defend?  There isn't a team in history that could beat Golden State or San Antonio without a viable offensive strategy.  That is why David Blatt is gone, because the team is playing an obviously flawed style that can't possibly win a championship.

Speaking of Cleveland, I am actually interested in the matchup tonight between the Bulls and Cavs. Tonight is loaded with games but the only other gme that looks slightly interesting to me is Indiana vs. Sacramento.

Other games to keep an eye out for this week...

Sunday

Clippers vs. Raptors

Mavericks vs. Rockets (Josh Smith is back BABY!!! Ha!)

Monday

WARRIORS VS. SPURS (Nothing else matters)

Tuesday

Clippers vs. Pacers

Wednesday

Clippers vs. Hawks

Rockets vs. Spurs

Mavericks vs. Warriors 

Thursday

Hawks vs. Pacers

Friday

Cavs vs. Pistons

Rockets vs. Thunder

Celtics vs. Magic

Yeah, Pistons vs. Cavs on Friday is for all the glory.... oh wait....

There are so many ways this could go. Golden State could blow out the Spurs. It could go down to the wire or multiple overtimes. The Spurs could cruise comfortably with their deep bench and I wouldn't be shocked. With a Spurs win, it's a  one game race and could go either way. A Spurs loss gives Golden State a little more breathing room but not much. I feel like the entire 4 game series will ultimately decide the playoff seeds. 

Anyway, a nice summary of coach reactions from around the league on David Blatt...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/several-nba-head-coaches-sharply-criticized-david-blatt-s-firing-223909142.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

You have two teams doing historic things this year. Not great things. Historic things. 

Golden State is on pace to break the 70 win plateau. They had the longest winning streak to open the season. Steph Curry is reinventing basketball before our eyes. 

San Antonio, with the league's best defense by a mile is killing the league in point differential. Their deep bench is killing the competition ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/01/21/the-spurs-are-rolling-through-the-nba-thanks-to-historic-play-from-their-bench/). They are also on pace to hit 70 wins. 

Historic teams rarely stop being special. This year, we are treated to two such teams in the first half. I don't think Cleveland can compete with history. The best they can hope for is that Blatt's firing is similar to SVG resigning from Miami in 2006. The problem... Tyronn Lue is no Pat Riley. 

To piggyback on my last post, here is an SI article about the Warriors and Spurs historic runs...

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/01/21/warriors-spurs-preview-stephen-curry-kawhi-leonard-klay-thompson

Another article on Kawhi, comparing him to Larry Bird...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kawhi-leonard-is-the-most-well-rounded-elite-shooter-since-larry-bird/

Rose had just about the best awful shooting night you can have.  He is SOO aggressive right now and his defense on Kyrie was great. It's amazing to watch his explosiveness and touch come together slowly but surely.  Must watch stuff right now for all the D Rose stans out there like myself.    

The rims always so tight in Cleveland? Between Rose's missed layups and Cleveland's missed FTs that was an odd game.  Loved every second of it though.  That moment when the Cavs fans started booing was AMAZING.  I've never seen a team this good slip into crisis mode before, but here we are!

This Bulls team is so odd.  If Rose continues to improve I think we have a shot at the Finals still, but it's been a weird road.  The Bulls are 9-0 against the Cavs, Spurs, Thunder, Raptors, Clippers and Grizzlies.  5-7 against the Nets, Wolves, Hornets, Suns, Knicks and Bucks. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?

I am actually looking forward to the Bulls vs. Spurs game in San Antonio. We have some revenge planned for that debacle earlier in the season. 

It will be a much tougher match up for us without Jo.  I've always felt we played SA well because we can match up size down low.  

It will be interesting to see what Pop does against D Rose now that he is getting more aggressive.  I remember Kawhi floating back and forth between Jimmy and Rose last time, but I would bet he spends most of the game guarding Rose this time around.

Rose had just about the best awful shooting night you can have. He is SOO aggressive right now and his defense on Kyrie was great. It's amazing to watch his explosiveness and touch come together slowly but surely. Must watch stuff right now for all the D Rose stans out there like myself.

The rims always so tight in Cleveland? Between Rose's missed layups and Cleveland's missed FTs that was an odd game. Loved every second of it though. That moment when the Cavs fans started booing was AMAZING. I've never seen a team this good slip into crisis mode before, but here we are!

This Bulls team is so odd. If Rose continues to improve I think we have a shot at the Finals still, but it's been a weird road. The Bulls are 9-0 against the Cavs, Spurs, Thunder, Raptors, Clippers and Grizzlies. 5-7 against the Nets, Wolves, Hornets, Suns, Knicks and Bucks. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?

Know we are below .500 but I don't think you can group the Knicks in the dregs of the NBA category anymore. They are no longer an easy win.