DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Playoffs, Round 1

Dolfan in NYC

I think they should add in a rule where you can steal first base, not a third strike dropped or wild pitch type thing, a guy just takes off for first suddenly while up to bat and if he makes it somehow he's safe. :-P

You know, I defended the Coghlan deal, because while it sucked, I thought it could be argued as still being in the baseball motion. I said "I'm not a fan of the play, but it was within the rules"

This one was significantly worse AND I don't think it was even legal. He never tries to touch the base, and he slides AFTER he passes the base. 

Seriously though: Eliminate the play. That shit is stupid.

Yeah, it's getting to the point (there were a couple questionable slides in Tor/Tex too) that you just have to rule that the advancing runner is SOL on force plays. If its a play where you can be made out without a tag, you have to run through it.

Just make it the same as catcher interference. If you hit the fielder on your slide, the guy he's attempting to throw out is automatically out. That'll eliminate the take out slide immediately.

And I won't open up the Coghlan thing again but this was way way worse. I honestly don't get how Ripken justifies it. He didn't start his slide until he was ON TOP of the base. It was a clear take out. That's ridiculous.

...and Cal Ripken has just been insufferable through all of this.

He really just isn't very good at this. Send him away and just give me Ernie Johnson and Ron Darling.

...and Cal Ripken has just been insufferable through all of this.

He really just isn't very good at this. Send him away and just give me Ernie Johnson and Ron Darling.

I felt bad for them, because they obviously felt that they had to be diplomatic with him about the whole thing, but also wanted to get across how dirty they thought that was. I bet their announcing would have been a lot different on that play, had he not been in the booth.

Next time a Dodger comes to break up a double play Flores or Murphy should just throw the ball right at the runner.

Infielders are actually taught to do that to guys who don't slide to try and get in the way of a throw. Aim right at the runner's head and force him to duck.

As much as I want to defend old school play, that was beyond the fucking pale. Chase Utley ought to be out for the remainder of the playoffs for that shit, but probably won't. Jesus people, if you are going to be dirty, at least be subtle about it. . . .