DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

21 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I thought Tessmacher was Cat's assistant when Kara moved up to CatCo magazine.

She was. And she was also Jimmy's assistant. But she's always been portrayed as a ditz. This last show they revealed that she's incredibly smart, and now she's Lena's assistant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FUCK YEAH~!!!

HBO has cast Jeremy Irons in a leading role for Damon Lindelof’s upcoming pilot for his adaptation of Alan Moore’s “Watchmen” graphic novel series.

Details on Irons’ role, aside from the fact it’s a lead, are being kept under wraps.

Irons joins a cast that includes Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Adelaide Clemens and Andrew Howard.

Not much is known about HBO’s take on the famed comic series, except that it will be separate from Zack Snyder’s 2009 “Watchmen” film. Last month, Lindelof took to instagram to share his early ideas for his take, explaining the HBO series won’t be an adaptation or a sequel, but a “remix.”

“We have no desire to ‘adapt’ the twelve issues Mr. Moore and Mr. [Dave] Gibbons created thirty years ago,” wrote Lindelof,

Now we know what the new hotness will be after Game of Thrones wraps a final season.

More info came out on DC Universe, presumably in advance of a big final unveil at SDCC.  They're distressingly vague about what old material will or won't be available, and made it clear that the movies (at least) will be rotating in and out rather than a permanent archive.  There will be an Unlimited-style comics archive, but the use of the words "curated" and "rotating" makes it sound less like Marvel Unlimited and more like Comixology unlimited--lots of evergreen stuff and first volumes, rather than complete runs.

Also, Young Justice: Outsiders is pushed to 2019. :(

I applied for beta; let's see how this turns out.

I like the looks of Robin's costume they showed for the upcoming Titans show.  Also,  I believe James Wan is involved in the live action Swamp Thing series?  I think this is a good idea all around but it'll probably need some tweaking.  Of course the price is going to be most important.  You can't charge something crazy for a service that at launch will be bare bones. 

I personally want the late 80s Superman cartoon.

I thought the Carter WW series had already been remastered for HD?  It was one of the early HD shows (like Charlie's Angels) because it was shot on film, thus they just had to rescan it at a larger size.

Gotcha! I'm a little sad that the TITANS series seems to be veering hard into edgelord territory.  The hazards of wanting to show how cool you are on streaming I guess.  Same thing happened on DISCOVERY *sigh*

Okay this is from IGN so yeah Wonder Woman in HD for the first time. 

"One of the biggest selling points of the service will be the fact that it includes classic shows like Wonder Woman '77 and Batman: The Animated Series in HD for the first time."

I'm not worried about the service just yet like IGN is.  They said themselves that price point will be the issue.  DC isn't trying to compete with other streaming services they are offering a niche service that would serve as an add-on to services you already have.  I think $4.99 a month is probably fair.  

If it's that cheap with thousands of comics issues available, then we're looking at it being cheaper than Marvel or Comixology unlimited despite also having original streaming content. That feels unlikely.

1 hour ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I'm a little sad that the TITANS series seems to be veering hard into edgelord territory.

Can someone explain what this even means? I have no idea what "edgelord" territory is.

You young kids and your crazy lingo....

Graphically broken bones, swearing, gratuitous nudity.  Zach Snyder in a nutshell.

There hasn't been any nudity mentioned in regards to the TITANS series, but it was said they're going for "hard R" content.

I will say, the book ended up being way better then that issue indicated (quite possibly the worst #1 I've ever read) but that issue did such a horrible job with Kori I can't even explain it.

• 2 weeks later...

Batwoman:

While we know that The CW will introduce Batwoman during this December's Arrowverse crossover, it's now been confirmed that she's getting her own solo series in 2019. Caroline Dries (The Vampire Diaries) is writing the pilot's script and she will also executive produce the series alongside DC veteran Greg Berlanti. It's thought the a casting notice for the role of Kate Kane will be going out very soon. 

That means we won't be getting any sort of reveal at Comic-Con this weekend and it will instead be around the fall that we get to see whoever is cast as Kate Kane suited up as the fan-favourite hero.

In an official logline for the show, it's said that "Batwoman revolves around Kate Kane, who, armed with a passion for social justice and flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet: in a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope."

Credit: comicbookmovie.com