DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

29 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Tangentially related, Tuesday night Barry mentioned Blackhawk Island and man, that's a show I want to watch.  LOST, but also WWII mad scientist machines

I totally geeked out at the Blackhawk reference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Batwoman coming to the Arrowverse next season crossover. Bringing Gotham to Ollie and Barry's universe officially. The city, not the show.

Never watched Arrow, caught a few episodes of Flash and Supergirl. I only watched the first season of Gotham.

Awesome Kate Kane's Batwoman will be making her live action debut. Just use Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka/JH Williams III and W Haden Blackman/J H Williams III Batwoman run for inspiration/forming her portrayal.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Gotham has been known to exist within it. Ollie has mentioned Bruce before, and I think there has been some at least we aren't as bad as Gotham comments before in the shows. With how Batman esque they have made Arrow I kind would rather they not touch upon the Batverse.

Yeah, but at least part of next season's crossover will be set *in* Gotham. 

He was a favorite for me, but I did like him. It was nice to see him lose w/o dying. It has been a bit of a habit for the show. I think Slade is the only big bad who didn't "die" at the end of the season. Not sure how I feel about the ending for the season. It feels like a bit much with Flash having already done prison arc for Barry and how much they did to keep Ollie from being convicted just a few episodes ago.

I couldn't love that Flash finale more. I don't read new comics anymore. They're too expensive and from what I've looked at... we've parted ways, so to speak. But these DCW shows have taken over the part of me that loves comic books and always will.  

Even when it's a filler Supergirl episode like this week's that was a mess. Not every issue of a book was great.

• Like 1

Are they really going to wait until 2025 to do Crisis on Infinite Earths like Grant said last year? Surely not. That’s quite ambitious planning for a TV show when any number of things could go wrong. Marvel Studios planning out their phases years and years in advance is one thing, but this is just a TV show.

Come on, damnit! Just do a time jump the season after next and let’s get this thing poppin’.

I'd rather they wait unless they actually give Wally the lead for a season or two.

I dug the finale a decent bit. Was that a goodbye to Harry's character? Also we were supposed to get a hint at next season's big bad, but it got cut for time. They mentioned that they will eventually put it out there at some point so there is something to look forward to seeing before next season.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Was that a goodbye to Harry's character? 

According to Todd Helbing (the showrunner), yes.  Cavanagh will be back next season as a different version of Harrison Wells.

I really liked Harry's arc.  Though I wish they had given the resolution to his stuff time to breathe.

Spoiler

I like the idea that Harry gained an emotional balance and started valuing people.  The natural reaction would be to go find his daughter and make amends.   Maybe do that tomorrow?  The weekend?  Harry's last scene basically amounted to "I realize now that friendship is important and you are my surrogate family.  I'm going back to my own dimension now.  Right now.  I'll just drop that on you and leave as soon as possible.  You'll probably never see me again."

The way they rushed Harry off kinda undercut the emotional lessons he learned.  Couldn't wait a day or two to say proper goodbyes, huh?  Maybe see the new baby?

Good season.  I didn't enjoy the prison arc, but the rest of the season was fun and mostly struck the tone I want from the show.  When Devoe was defeated with 20 min left in the ep, I was kinda worried they'd use the last 20 min to screw Barry over and do some grimdark cliffhanger (I hated last season's deal where Barry defeats the Big Bad and, five min later, has to exile himself into the speed force forever).

• Like 2

Harrison's evolution throughout the show was some pretty compelling stuff.  I love how he was this super smart quasi-asshole who in an effort to defeat Devoe invented a thinking cap.  The fact that it ended up turning his brain to mush was a really interesting consequence of his dependency on it.  And while I wish they gave that more time to breathe this week his culmination was really well-done.  Tom Cavanagh is a really amazing talent and his role(s) on the show have always been highlights.

I honestly liked the prison stuff.  Devoe kept one-upping him them all and that was a smart way of trying to keep Harry away from his plans.  It was a struggle he had to go through which left room for Dibny to establish himself as the hero he didn't know he could be.  At the end of that part of the story Ralph came out of it much better and Barry had extra motivation to end Devoe once and for all.  It might have had some minor weak spots but I thought it was overall well-done.

• Like 1

I'm with Niko on the prison arc. I think the ending could have been better handled, but I enjoyed the stuff with Goldberg, Ralph finding his place as a hero, and the frustration it put on Wells as a part of his arc.

11 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I saw a rumor that 

Hide contents

Cicada

would be the big bad next season.

I have no idea who that is. Is he a good villain?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I have no idea who that is. Is he a good villain?

Eh..... wouldn't be my choice, but it could be interesting if they adapt the Geoff Johns' story that introduced him.

Spoiler

Circada was an immortal (?) who gained his powers in an accident similar to the Flash's - ie, he was struck by lightning and gained super-powers.  His main power was the ability to drain other people's life force and use it to extend his own life.  He also seemed to have some rapid healing and mind control abilities.

Because their origin stories were similar, Circada decided that he and Flash were linked, and he would use Flash's life force to enhance his powers to bring his wife back from the dead (it turned out she was dead because he killed her right before the lightning strike).  He founded a cult that worshiped Flash and demonstrated that by tracking down people who Flash had saved and killing them via Circada draining their life force.  He eventually did drain off enough power from Flash to resurrect his wife, who pointed out he was the one who killed her in the first place - so he killed her again by kissing her and draining off his life force.  And then Flash saved the day.

It could be an interesting season and the Johns story was decent enough.  I'd still prefer to see someone from Barry's traditional rogues gallery.  I kinda thought they might go back to the HG Wells/Zoom.... um... well, especially since Crisis on Earth X put that version of Zoom back in play.  Then again, if they're  not doing Crisis till 2025, they got plenty of time.

Finished up Arrow's season this morning.  I liked the season on the whole, but didn't dig the finishing stretch.  Too much overbooking, too much we've seen before.  Diaz sending hit teams to take out Team Arrow and their families, and then Team Arrow, ARGUS, and the FBI fighting Diaz's army in the streets was basically a replay of what we've seen before (esp. the ending of season 2).  I kinda rolled my eyes at the idea the FBI wouldn't step in against Diaz basically enacting martial law against the city until Oliver cut a deal.  Kinda uninteresting way to wrap up a fairly interesting season.

A couple other observations:

The family angle didn't work for me.  They pushed the idea that Oliver needed to operate differently because he's now a parent, then would forget that idea five min later.  Ollie continually lying to William about being Green Arrow, then going out to be Green Arrow, seemed like a bad idea.  Oliver agreeing to go to jail and deprive William of his remaining biological parent seems like an even worse idea.  We're supposed to think there was no other way, but, like Felicity said, there were a million other ways.  When Diaz's goons shot up the Arrow team's homes, my first thought is that William and Rene's daughter are going to need an awful lot of therapy.  Wasn't really cool with that,

Also, they've done a bad job making me care about Black Canary 3.  They did do a decent job making Rene a sympathetic character.

Finally, I kinda get why Oliver's friends all basically left him.  Still, at some point he should have called them all together, issued a blanket apology... and set off a bomb arrow that would blow the ingrates the fuck up. During the course of their relationships, Oliver did a lot more for them than he did to them - including risking his life to save them several times over. Yeah, they had legitimate viewpoints but there was also a lot of rationalizing.  Diggle more or less blaming Oliver for his drug problem because he wouldn't tell Oliver about his neuro issue when Oliver offered him the hood annoyed me more than moved me.  And then, the split plotline basically amounted to nothing because the four of them seemingly reconciled with Oliver without so much as a conversation about their differences.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that Supergirl is the clear show that Berlanti expresses his politics, that I agree with, and it's almost never too heavy handed. But I'm just at J'onn and Jimmy Olsen at the gun manufacturers office and Hooo booooooy. I was SURE the advanced weapon was an Intergang intro. They did drop Mannheim's name this season.

edit: Oh, as it goes on it gets amazingly heavy handed in many ways. :)

I am loving the slow Lena turn. She just got Miss Techmacher as her assistant,who is revealed to be a genius and not just an in joke.

9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I love that Supergirl is the clear show that Berlanti expresses his politics, that I agree with, and it's almost never too heavy handed. But I'm just at J'onn and Jimmy Olsen at the gun manufacturers office and Hooo booooooy. I was SURE the advanced weapon was an Intergang intro. They did drop Mannheim's name this season.

edit: Oh, as it goes on it gets amazingly heavy handed in many ways. :)

I am loving the slow Lena turn. She just got Miss Techmacher as her assistant,who is revealed to be a genius and not just an in joke.

I'm normally all for finding ways to bring topics like this up in a show like Supergirl and I really appreciated this being brought up.  But it seemed way too unnatural for me, especially when Lena and Jimmy were talking about it.  It was almost like they were in a completely separate PSA that didn't fit into the show at all.  But I'm curious to see how the DEO fares with J'onn's new directive at the end.

And I get that the episode was supposed to have this "too good to be true" vibe to it before shit went down.  But it didn't take long before I was begging for chaos.