DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

Catching up to Legends and got to the D&D episode. Fantastic. Gary steals every scene he's in and dat end zinger... I want a spin-off around that alone, that could easily be a wacky Scooby Gang.

EDIT: Okay, finished the whole season. It was an amazing season... like holycrap crazy fun.

Dat LOTR episode. There's no more walls to break, they were all broken down to make a badass cyborg jumping shark. And then the amazing finale... are there actually people bagging the show because of that? Fuck those soulless zombies.

It still amazes me  how they got all the cast offs and managed to make such a wonderful show (despite the rough start too!). It's to the point where I hope LoT stays around longer than the other Berlantiverse shows just so they can engulf those casts into their zany adventures. I hope this comes true because I think they've stumbled onto their own brilliant Doctor Who regeneration plot device.

The thing that I appreciate about the show the most is how optimistic it is, like everyone gets a second chance (or 3rd or 4th...). Speaking of which, can not wait for more Constantine next season.

EDIT: Wait... Nora is married to Ray IRL?!

• Like 2

I never would have guessed that they were married in real life, but it's cool that they get to work together on the show.

As for the other DC shows I watch, I loved the whole season of Black Lightning.  I can't wait to see where they go with it next season.  I wonder how @J.T. liked the rest of it.  Supergirl is still pretty fun to watch and Flash has me invested in their quest to take out Devoe.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Thanks to Mickie for the correction
  • Like 1

Given that it's going to take a while before the (probably disappointing) seasons of Flash & Arrow post to Netflix, how necessary are they to watching Black Lightning, if at all? The tie-ins with Legends are to be expected, but I wasn't sure if they were making the crossovers 5 deep now (not that I'd watch Supergirl if you paid me).

Why did they name drop Vixen and Supergirl then? I know you guys like Black Lightning, but it can only stay seperate from the rest of the DC TV universe for so long before it’s folded into continuity. It’s inevitable.

I just like to reiterate my deep appreciation for the Legends of Tomorrow season finale. I feel like way back when I manage to catch Dark City in the theatres the week before I went and saw Matrix. Matrix was a blast and all but... Dark City still holds an eerily  warm inquisitive light for me to this day.

Yeah, I just saw Avengers: Infinity War.

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Why did they name drop Vixen and Supergirl then? I know you guys like Black Lightning, but it can only stay seperate from the rest of the DC TV universe for so long before it’s folded into continuity. It’s inevitable.

The Multiverse is well established so it's inevitable they will crossover if the show stays around long enough. And then there's always Legends of Tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Because its still a world where superheroes exist and are a known factor. It was a tease, but right now they still aren't considered tied to the other shows. Its actually hard for them to do with Black Lightning being shot in a completely different city than the rest of the Berlanti DC shows. I just hope when they make it official its a part of Supergirl's world.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

As for the other DC shows I watch, I loved the whole season of Black Lightning.  I can't wait to see where they go with it next season. 

I'm kinda curious to see where they go with it next season.  I feel like it the season was sorta schizophrenic.  First six eps were firmly rooted in Freeland and its struggles and built up a couple fascinating antagonists in LaLa and Tobias Whale.  Then they introduced the government conspiracy and lean full into that for seven eps, and it seemed like a lot of the stuff they built up over the first half of the season was set aside.  Tobias disappears for several eps, they kill off Jill Scott's character, and everything revolves around a fairly standard conspiracy led by a guy who's not all that interesting.  I liked the idea of the conspiracy, but Jeff and cast had curiously muted reactions to the news that the government was running a modern "Tuskegee Airmen" social experiment aimed at making black people more "docile."  Worse, the back half of the season became all about investigating secret bases and fighting crime as Black Lightning.  Jefferson Pierce basically only appears in scenes with his family.  The writers largely forgot about the high school and Jefferson's belief that he helped more people as an educator than he ever did as a vigilante.  That part of his character was a lot more interesting than what he did in costume

I dunno.  I dug the first six or so eps, then kinda slowly lost interest in the conspiracy plot.  Show worked better for me when Black Lightning was a neighborhood vigilante trying to clean up Freeland and get rid of the 100 and Tobias.  About three or four episodes in, I commented that the show seemed too black for the WB's audience.  Cynically, I feel like someone told the showrunner than about half way in.

They did seem to wrap up the conspiracy plot neatly in the season finale.  And Tobias is more powerful than ever.  I'm hoping they refocus the show and concentrate more on Jeff's civilian identity and more on Black Lightning fighting street crime.  Tobias is a pretty good villain.  They didn't really need to make him a flunky to a government bureaucrat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

They did seem to wrap up the conspiracy plot neatly in the season finale.  And Tobias is more powerful than ever.  I'm hoping they refocus the show and concentrate more on Jeff's civilian identity and more on Black Lightning fighting street crime.  Tobias is a pretty good villain.  They didn't really need to make him a flunky to a government bureaucrat.

I'm cool with it because those will always be there.  But while it might have deviated from it later in the season it did have its purpose.  We had the development of Thunder and the other daughter figured out how to use her power.  So now we'll have at least BL and Thunder tackling street crime/Tobias with the other daughter dabbling in it some.  It's going to make for one helluva season 2.

I'm changing my tune on Legends of Tomorrow. I watched the episodes I missed after that fucking stupid Beebo episode, and.... okay, yeah, that's just pure fun TV. It's extremely stupid, but it's the fun kind of stupid. And at least the Beebo thing had a pay off, that made the God of War episode a little easier to swallow. I expected Voltron to appear, since Nate name-dropped it.

• Like 1

I still think Tobias needs his own show.  Tobias travels the country, trying to find the one-armed man who can clear his name.  In the meantime, he settles for bearhugging fools to death.

I did like the development of the daughters, particularly Thunder.  The younger one also developing powers and not really wanting them seems like it should have been saved for season 2 or 3, though.

Did anything come of Jeff's vice principal being the one who was id'ing kids for the government black project. She was still running the school in ep 11 (where Jeff was detained by the government).  I don't recall anything nasty happening to her or Jefferson finding out here secret?  Is she still in play?

Gotham has been known to exist within it. Ollie has mentioned Bruce before, and I think there has been some at least we aren't as bad as Gotham comments before in the shows. With how Batman esque they have made Arrow I kind would rather they not touch upon the Batverse.