DVDVR Message Board

DC TV Thread

goodhelmet

On 7/19/2018 at 10:53 AM, The Natural said:

On 7/19/2018 at 10:25 AM, The Natural said:

Reveal hidden contents

DieXBEsWAAUTACm.jpg:large

Boy is that a not good trailer. Like, out of all the DC franchises they could have made a dark TV show about, we are doing Teen Titans? Give me a Swamp Thing show or something instead for gods sake.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Like, out of all the DC franchises they could have made a dark TV show about, we are doing Teen Titans? Give me a Swamp Thing show or something instead for gods sake.

They are doing a Swamp Thing show. James Wan is producing it.  When I was still reading comics there was a Titans team and a Teen Titans team and the Titans team dealt with some mature material so maybe that's what they are going for.   Teen Titans has a cartoon movie coming out in a few days.  It's gotten good reviews. 

Okay, how about this. Why are they making Teen Titans like a lame version of Riverdale? If they wanted to do a darkee version of Teen Titans, fine, but why make it look like it's aimed at the Hot Topic populace and nobody else? The designs of some prettt iconic characters to a lot of fans just... Don't look good to any degree.

Also, 75 dollar price tag on the streaming service with that being the main calling card? Oof oof oof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

It's $75/year, which comes out to less than most streaming services.  It's about on par with CBS All Access's "limited commercial interruption" tier.

The difference is most streaming services charge by month. DC's is a year long subsription. You HAVE to pay the 75 up front.

I don't think the price point is great.   Obviously I'll pay $7.99 for a while and see how it goes but I think they'd have been better off going a bit lower.  This is a niche thing.  It's a streaming service that you are going to add on top of already existing streaming services.  Like an HBO. 

On 7/24/2018 at 3:22 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think the price point is great.   Obviously I'll pay $7.99 for a while and see how it goes but I think they'd have been better off going a bit lower.  This is a niche thing.  It's a streaming service that you are going to add on top of already existing streaming services.  Like an HBO. 

This is weird thinking. Niche products should cost *more* because they need to recoup their costs over a smaller number of subscribers. Running a lower price point anticipating a small but dedicated base really just loses you the couple bucks a month per customer without much likelihood of gaining more. Like, even with your direct comparison, HBO Now is $15/month.

Also that annual price works out to $6.25 a month which isn't bad at all. Hell, it's going to have digital comics too and Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited is $10/month or $70/year last time I checked. No matter what your point of comparison is, I'm not really sure where anyone would have realistically expected $5/month or whatever. 

Their "loss leader" is the pre-launch annual subscription, which is still $75, but gets you 15 months, dropping the monthly price to $5.

I included Cruchyroll in my initial listings because it's the model DC Universe is using, but Japan tends to incredibly underprice their stuff.  A subscription to Shonen Jump is $26, and that gets you something like 100 pages of comics a WEEK for a year!

• 2 weeks later...