DVDVR Message Board

Boardwalk Empire

ultimoDANK

Rewatching. Forgot that Prez from The Wire is playing Eliot Ness and Paul Calderon (King of New York, Pulp Fiction, etc.) is the Cuban hitman. Gretchen Mol is getting her just desserts in the nuthouse at least. Of course they couldn't have her OD last season -- too many worthwhile and interesting other characters to whack out!

At least we're getting the True Detective redux after each new episode.

EDIT: Oh and we got Joe Kennedy too

• 3 weeks later...

The English guy who played 20 year old Nucky was pretty good even though he had a little trouble keeping his real accent down in spots. It must suck to accept you look like Steve Buscemi at that age and not have Steve Buscemi money though.

• Like 1

Have to say the last two have been a lot better than the previous couple; at least they seem to be rushing towards a climax at this point. It blows to see 

Patricia Arquette get it

is awesome to see

the reuniting of Chalky and his lovebird as an episode ender

but I really wonder where they're going with all this. We know the Commission boys aren't dying, nor Torrio. They're dragging us along with the nuthouse storyline with no results. Either the next ep weaves a nice little web or things are going to lose it by the finale.

One theory is young Nucky getting involved with Commodore wooing underage Gillian in a flashback. Don't know how that ties in with saving her, but they could do something from that I guess.

There is really no reason for the storyline to go on at all unless she has some secret information that springs her and fucks with Nucky.

That kid really does do a great job as Young Nucky. He has all the inflections down, speech patterns, everything. Though even his fake grill isn't as fucked-up as the real thing.

The English guy who played 20 year old Nucky was pretty good even though he had a little trouble keeping his real accent down in spots. It must suck to accept you look like Steve Buscemi at that age and not have Steve Buscemi money though.

Took me a few minutes to realize he was in Burton's Sleepy Hollow.

One theory is young Nucky getting involved with Commodore wooing underage Gillian in a flashback. Don't know how that ties in with saving her, but they could do something from that I guess.

GIVE ME ALL THE PRIZES!

My sole reason for watching the show is gone now. I dunno if I want to watch the final 2 episodes.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but all the non-historical characters are now dead aside from Gillian, right?  I guess Narcisse would be as well but I don't know that we'll be seeing him again.

I figured they'd leave someone alive so they could tease killing them in the series finale, but now I'm not sure who they can actually kill in the final two episodes aside from generic cannon fodder. .

So correct me if I'm wrong, but all the non-historical characters are now dead aside from Gillian, right?  I guess Narcisse would be as well but I don't know that we'll be seeing him again.

I figured they'd leave someone alive so they could tease killing them in the series finale, but now I'm not sure who they can actually kill in the final two episodes aside from generic cannon fodder. .

Eli and his clan, Margaret, and now hopeless single mother Sigrid.

And I might be wrong, but they are probably leading to that Indiana kid being Tommy. This is going to turn out that Jimmy was actually Nucky's son, thus making Tommy his grandson. I just know it.

Nucky is only loosely based on a real person, so he's technically fair game to go, as well.

That's why I put Eli since the character is based off Alfred "Alf" Johnson only in the fact he was Enoch's brother and a sheriff. In real life, Alf Johnson never had kids.

That's the weird part as Nucky had a real bother and wife so I don't think they are gonna kill them off as he never suffered such losses, although they are so loose that I could be mistaken.

Granted I've been of the opinion that they should say to hell with history and go nuts just to throw everyone off so I wouldn't complain.

Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky's theme song...

There ain't no such things as halfway crooks.  Nucky's biggest problem from season 1 until now is that when shit hit the fan he was willing to kill, but he has never been willing to die for this shit.  He ran up on some dudes that were 10 toes down in this game and was more worried about self preservation than he was about winning.  Luciano and Lansky knew they were either going to win or die, but no matter what they weren't going to leave that place without everything they came to get.  Jimmy told him back in the first season, "You can't be half a gangster," but somehow he never learned.  This show has its issues, but that scene was not one of them.

• Like 1

That was one hell of an episode. We finally got

some payoff to the flashback material, and Mickey finally gets shut up... notably, right after he has at least one moment where you can get to like him. And I'll be damned if the kid playing Gillian didn't nail a perfect imitation of Gretchen Mol.

Who knows how the finale will end up but this somewhat made up for the elimination of the best two characters in the fucking series last ep.