DVDVR Message Board

Boardwalk Empire

ultimoDANK

Have been having trouble getting into this season, but this episode was great (shows how blah I've been about the whole thing, the next episode airs tomorrow). Loved the Passion of the Eddie, but was caught off guard by his leap at the end. For sure thought he was going to work with the Feds, but I guess even knowing how little Nucky actually cares about him, he has too much honour to do that.

Weird plus: I love the pile of chairs in the room they were interrogating him in, such great set design.

Oh man, I didn't catch the significance of that line either. Thanx for pointing that out. 

We got two really great, tense/violent sex scenes in this one, both prefaced by great moments: Patricia Arquette duking it out with Nucky before reprising the phone booth scene from True Romance, and Michael K. Williams delivering the absolutely hateful line "He's just a nigga with a dictionary." Even though it came from a character who can't read, that was vicious.

I don't know if there has ever been a more accurate example of black on black skin tone/upper to lower class/educated to uneducated/real to cornball dynamics on TV than what has happened on this show with Chalky.  Chalky who is a compeltely self made man is constantly treated like he is less "worthy" than everyone else he is around.  Whether it is Narcisse talking to him like he is a servant to his fucking family not making hopping john when he got released from jail, that man can't get any respect.  Even fucking Dunn who never had shit until Chalky gave it to him is willing to turn his back on him.  I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed, it clearly isn't an accident how it has all played out.

Chalky White is the fucking man.  All season long he has been on the losing end of Narcisse's games, but last night we learned that Chalky didn't get his power by accident.  Narcisse can play all his race hustling games, but when it comes to going into the streets and getting shit done, Chalky has him beatl.  With that said, I'm sad to see Dunn go.  Has anyone ever played disingenuous better than Eric LaRay Harvey?  That smile with that gold tooth just made him so fucking loathsome.

How did Nucky get so much power when he is so obviously a simp.  Everyone has the friend who fell in love with somebody who is not his girl.  Nothing good can come from trying to put handcuffs on some woman who doesn't want to be in a relationship with you.  That woman is going to take him for everything she possibly can, and he is too stupid to see that he is getting played.  The crazy thing is, she is clearly trying to warn him against going down this road, but now she realizes that she would be dumb not to take advantage of this situation.  To paraphrase the great Clay Davis, "She'll take anybody's money if they're just giving it away."

The way this episode was shot was insanely beautiful.  The opening with Dunn walking up to the traphouse, Chalky's and his crew burning the heroin, and the cuts leading up to the Dunn/Chalky fight all stood out as fantastic directing. 

This might be the best episode of Boardwalk ever. There are moments where you can hear a pin drop. Multiple storylines tying together. Abrupt, sudden violence. Two incredibly beautiful women working behind the scenes and stealing the show. Michael K. Williams and Erik LaRay Harvey absolutely killing it (literally and figuratively). The image of Chalky banging the trashcan lid is so stellar, and you just want the fork to go into the eye of the federale so bad. DAMN.

If you're sleeping on this episode you need to get your head checked, I'm watching it again and it's easily top ten of the entire series. Shea Whigham's Eli really needs a shout-out along with everybody else. His internal conflict with his son and the reaction he had to scumbag Agent Knox was so intense, even if he didn't pick up the fork the look of utter impotent rage in his eyes was something else. It looked like his head was going to explode. 

If you're sleeping on this episode you need to get your head checked, I'm watching it again and it's easily top ten of the entire series. Shea Whigham's Eli really needs a shout-out along with everybody else. His internal conflict with his son and the reaction he had to scumbag Agent Knox was so intense, even if he didn't pick up the fork the look of utter impotent rage in his eyes was something else. It looked like his head was going to explode. 

Sounds like I missed one of the best episodes of the series when I was in the hospital. Hopefully, it will be replayed today before the new episode.

I think he just comes off like a complete psycho, barely able to interact in a normal way with anyone. Go back to the first episode with him drinking over the guy's corpse. Dude is a sociopath at best and a maniac at worst. It's like him and Van Alden switched minds or something.

I really like Knox, he's probably been my favourite part of this season. Such a different kind of villain than Gyp was.

And I concur with everyone above, the last ep was damned good. It took awhile, but this season is starting to hook me in. We need a whole lot less Willie and a whole lot more Clayton, although that is definitely a pipe dream at this point.