DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

48 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Any idea who was under the "Tiger Angel" mask? As far as I know she only had one match under the gimmick in Michinoku Pro back in 2000, but I've no luck finding out who was portraying the part. Odd that Tiger Angel come in, won, and was never seen from again.

Carlos Amano.

• Like 1

Io answered some questions at a meet and greet.

On Lucha Underground

She said she'd like to work there again for future seasons

Some key points she talked about:
She avoided talking about WWE all night.
She would like to wrestle Asuka in the future, and really wanted to wrestle her for her 10th anniversary event next year.
Someone asked what her favourite hobby is, to which she replied "recently, dying my hair". She dyed her hair four times in one month.
She said she would like to try a TLC match as women are starting to do more risky matches in WWE.
Her favourite thing to do is jump off high things in matches, and is a fan of Jeff Hardy.
She had back surgery earlier this year (when she dropped the belt to Toni Storm) and said she injured herself a little bit shortly after having it done. However recently she's fine.

On who she'd like to work with.

A bunch of names were thrown around, one which stuck out was Syuri (currently she's doing more MMA than wrestling though)

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/5hcgay/tonight_im_meeting_io_shirai_what_questions/

Neat, not surprised she avoided answering WWE questions. Not sure why anyone with common sense would ask. If she intends to leave Stardom she can't really answer yet w/o potentially hurting them. I think she leaves by end of next year.

The Dynamite Kansai show ended up selling out Korakuen Hall.  Announced attendance of 2100, including adding 100 seats for VIPs (I think this was mostly to accomodate joshi & ex-joshi wrestlers).

Tons of retirement pictures on twitter.  Use #ozアカデミー to find.  Also several, along with results in Japanese, here: http://ameblo.jp/nakamura-hiroyuki/entry-12225686215.html

Major match in terms of current OZ Academy storylines was Hikaru Shida & Syuri beating Hiroyo Matsumoto & Rina Yamashita with Shida getting the pin on Hiroyo, who just became OZ's singles champ.  This sets up Hiroyo defending the singles title on Jan. 8 at Shinjuku FACE against so-to-be-retiring Kyoko Kimura (so little chance of a title switch) and then Shida/Syuri defending their OZ tag titles against Hiroyo & Kagetsu (seems like a random partner for Hiroyo, as Kagetsu's been with Mission K4) at the next Korakuen Hall show on January 25.

Main event was Kansai vs Mayumi Ozaki, they went 32 minutes.  Looks like a lot of usual Ozaki nonsense in the early part of the match (misting Police by accident, that sort of stuff).  I bet it's still a decent match, as Ozaki can still bring in when she wants to, and I doubt she'd half-ass Dynamite's retirement match.

Huge amounts of streamers and pretty much a whos-who of joshi past and present with the gifts and hugs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ligerbusa said:

Io answered some questions at a meet and greet.

On Lucha Underground

On who she'd like to work with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/5hcgay/tonight_im_meeting_io_shirai_what_questions/

Since wrestlers in Japan are far more private and there are less 'concrete' rumors that float around, always nice to see a wrestler answering questions. Glad that her and Asuka aren't on bad terms, not that we knew they were but rumors have always been that minimally they didn't get along. Which they still may not but as long wrestlers can work together well, how they personally feel about each other isn't really relevant.

4 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

The only match I've seen where she wasn't the heel was her debut match and that's like a totally different wrestler.

I am looking forward to watching her singles match against Fujigasaki on 9/18 as I don't think she wrestled that match as a heel and it went long enough it should give a better look on how she is coming along.

Hana and her mom were among the few who did double duty at Star Lanes on 11/23. Hana was a face on the Sendai Girls show and was mainly the face in peril during her match with Kansai against Mom and Miyagi. She doesn't have a ton of varied offense but then again Kyoko doesn't either. She did a decent job getting her face kicked by Mom though. As a pink and white clad youngster she isn't all that distinguishable from others of her age or experience. Could be that it was because Kansai, wrestling her last match in Hakata, was the main focus though  Of course as a heel on the Stardom she can rely more on her evil sexy girl gimmick.

On 12/9/2016 at 4:45 PM, we.are.stardom said:

She was biting her fingers. The ref said stop and she did that. Then she bit then again. 

Wow, this match is terrible.  I can't remember the last time I saw Kyoko and Mimura as bad as this.  I think Hana's favorite wrestler is secretly Manami Toyota, because she has a pretty good Toyota dropkick.

Someone asked many pages ago about mid-90s reviews. I had forgotten that Chris Coey's old website is in the wayback machine. I won't pretend I will agree with a lot of his reviews, he was a bit more... harsh I guess than I am when reviewing, but its still a good road map on what Joshi may be worth hunting down. Here is his AJW Star Ratings and his more in-depth reviews.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Wow, this match is terrible.  I can't remember the last time I saw Kyoko and Mimura as bad as this.  I think Hana's favorite wrestler is secretly Manami Toyota, because she has a pretty good Toyota dropkick.

Her match with Arisa in Korakuen sucked as well

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Kimura can be great when she wants to be. That is of course kind of the problem as she is perfectly content to not really do too much most of the time.

I recently tracked down some of her Battlarts/Queen Bee stuff. The match with her and Ray was good but I haven't watched the other matches yet. I'm not the biggest fan of Battlarts *ducks* but I think I enjoy her in this style instead the death match stuff for sure. 

RIP Harley Saito 

1 minute ago, JML said:

I recently tracked some her Battlarts/Queen Bee stuff. The match with her and Ray was good but I haven't watched the other matches yet. I'm not the biggest fan of Battlarts *ducks* but I think I enjoy her in this style instead the death match stuff for sure. 

RIP Harley Saito 

I like her in both styles. I was never too fond of the Queen Bee stuff though as most of the joshi women really didn't know how to do the style well, including Kana & Oikawa who Ishikawa was training at the time. The best match I can recall was Fuka vs. Natuski.

There isn't a PC way to say this so I should probably not say it on Twitter, but I like that Stardom debuted a young wrestler that isn't an itty bitty (what I affectionately call really small wrestlers). I think Arisu has shown a lot of early promise and I like Starlight Kid, but Ruaka is already bigger than both of them as well as Azumi and she is only 12. Stardom has her listed at 5'3" and 128 lbs, I'm not claiming she is like a monster or anything, but it shows how small the other new wrestlers are that she almost towers over some of them and at 12 she isn't done growing so probably has a few more inches to go. Variety is good, small wrestlers definitely have a place but there tends to be a shorter ceiling for them in terms of long term growth (pun intended). Obviously too early to say if Ruaka will be good or even stick with wrestling, but at least she is a slightly different mold.

20 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

There isn't a PC way to say this so I should probably not say it on Twitter, but I like that Stardom debuted a young wrestler that isn't an itty bitty (what I affectionately call really small wrestlers). I think Arisu has shown a lot of early promise and I like Starlight Kid, but Ruaka is already bigger than both of them as well as Azumi and she is only 12. Stardom has her listed at 5'3" and 128 lbs, I'm not claiming she is like a monster or anything, but it shows how small the other new wrestlers are that she almost towers over some of them and at 12 she isn't done growing so probably has a few more inches to go. Variety is good, small wrestlers definitely have a place but there tends to be a shorter ceiling for them in terms of long term growth (pun intended). Obviously too early to say if Ruaka will be good or even stick with wrestling, but at least she is a slightly different mold.

I doubt they're only going for small wrestlers, just playing the hand they're dealt.  I hear that Asuka Ramey (Remay, Remei, etc) is training again for a re-debut and people are really high on how she's progressing.  She's around 5'6" or something, I think.  Of course, she's not a kid either.