DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

On 12/11/2016 at 5:24 AM, we.are.stardom said:

Carlos Amano.

Not that I don't believe you, you'd know better than I would and the bodies fit, but was that just a well kept secret or if I am the first person in the world that cared? A google search for "michinoku pro" and "tiger angel" only has like six results (including this thread), and even with that knowledge I can't find anywhere that says that Tiger Angel was Amano. I know wrestlers are secretive when under a mask but none of the other "Tiger Mask" wrestlers were at all kept under wraps who was under the mask except for Tiger Mask IV. I know I am a nerd but I can't be the first person that wondered who it was.

On 12/15/2016 at 6:23 AM, Eivion said:

Kimura can be great when she wants to be. That is of course kind of the problem as she is perfectly content to not really do too much most of the time.

Yea I hate to use the word "coasting" as if anyone has earned the right to take it easy her last year it is Kyoko after all the crazy shit she has done, but it definitely feels like for the most part she isn't putting a ton of effort into it. But since I like Hana I am glad she at least using her star power/behind the scenes connections to get her booked around and in matches against wrestlers that normally she wouldn't be able to go against. I thought the hardcore match with Nakajima was fine, about what I was expecting but nothing to get excited about. Katsu match was not good, I actually liked the Rabbit Miu match better than that one. Curious to see if her match against Nakajima on 10/9 without as many gimmicks was better or worse.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea I hate to use the word "coasting" as if anyone has earned the right to take it easy her last year it is Kyoko after all the crazy shit she has done, but it definitely feels like for the most part she isn't putting a ton of effort into it. But since I like Hana I am glad she at least using her star power/behind the scenes connections to get her booked around and in matches against wrestlers that normally she wouldn't be able to go against. I thought the hardcore match with Nakajima was fine, about what I was expecting but nothing to get excited about. Katsu match was not good, I actually liked the Rabbit Miu match better than that one. Curious to see if her match against Nakajima on 10/9 without as many gimmicks was better or worse.

I would say coasting is a fair word in Kyoko's case, particularly for the last year or so since she returned from injury. She will give a bit more effort in tag title matches, but not much else. I'm rather interested in the first match with Nakajima as well as I can see her trying a bit harder there. Hopefully she at least steps up for the title challenge against Hiroyo.

18 hours ago, JML said:

I asked this question on PWO and sent the question to Dave but got no response. I'll ask it here now: Does anybody know if Dynamite Kansai was ever on the Observer HOF Ballot?

I've seen no evidence of it on past lists. They pretty much only have the cream of the cream of the crop in regards to Joshi, Dynamite was probably too 'under the radar' the last 15 years.

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

I would say coasting is a fair word in Kyoko's case, particularly for the last year or so since she returned from injury. She will give a bit more effort in tag title matches, but not much else. I'm rather interested in the first match with Nakajima as well as I can see her trying a bit harder there. Hopefully she at least steps up for the title challenge against Hiroyo.

I just got the 10/9 match in today, I'll upload it soon as I have a moment so we can all compare it. I think part of it is just expectations, like I don't expect Kyoko to have high end matches. That's never really been her thing, she is crazy but I dunno if she has had many matches that people would traditionally call ****+. I like her because she brings something different to the table and I like a variety of styles, but she was always more style than substance, at least as far back as I have seen from her.

29 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I just got the 10/9 match in today, I'll upload it soon as I have a moment so we can all compare it. I think part of it is just expectations, like I don't expect Kyoko to have high end matches. That's never really been her thing, she is crazy but I dunno if she has had many matches that people would traditionally call ****+. I like her because she brings something different to the table and I like a variety of styles, but she was always more style than substance, at least as far back as I have seen from her.

I can see a case for style over substance talk with her. Its just that she has shown she can bring substance as well. That said, I definitely remember being interested her initially for different style, look and wrestling wise, she had. It just also helped that her initial introduction to me was via a good match.

2 hours ago, Dshuks said:

Ugh Stardom is doing  two extra matches at Korakuen with tv personalities . Io , Kairi, and Kyona are pulling double duty.

Io vs Mayu is going to have to be really good to carry the card. Like Io vs Meiko last year. 

umm...we're on national tv. If you don't get what the exposure means, well...TV Asahi would be like being on ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX in the US...we're the only company to be on national TV this year (twice no less). It helps us a lot.  It's worth your ”ugh.”

39 minutes ago, we.are.stardom said:

umm...we're on national tv. If you don't get what the exposure means, well...TV Asahi would be like being on ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX in the US...we're the only company to be on national TV this year (twice no less). It helps us a lot. It's worth your ”ugh.”

I get the idea  behind increasing exposure , but why have two matches ?  Who not just combine the two and do  Kyona/ TV personality A vs Matsumoto/ TV personality B.

That way  he match which is most likely going to not be very  entertaining, especially for the US audience who has no idea who these ladies are, would be relegated to only one part of the show. Instead of taking multiple slots. 

Also it would prevent Io and Kairi from doing double duty , which makes their respective opponents look bad especially if Io and Kairi win their important matches. 

Like how is anyone supposed to take Mayu seriously if she still cannot beat Io, after she has already had a match on the card against the likes of Kyona and Matsumoto?

Your constant tendency to aggressively go after people online, who dare make the slightest criticism about Stardom is adorable by the way. It is behavior like what one would expect from a rabid fan, than an actual part (let alone the on-line representative) of a company though. 

You are free to your opinion. If we state our opinion it's not agression. 

For instance, you wonder why Io and Kairi. Well, it's because TV Asahi wants Io and Kairi. 

the US audience will only see it if they seek it out. It probably won't be on Stardom World since TV Asahi will own the rights to the matches. 

Suzuki and Seyama are very popular in Japan. People outside of Japan won't get it and aren't expected to. 

Yeah yeah, exposure and stuff but

Seriously? I mean if this was before anyone got in or only a certain amount of people were let in before the actual card started, that'd be fine, but, what?

Also it'd been nice if Io was still in heel character and not just back to smiling and standing next to/with Kairi help training 2 celebs. is this during, before or after the main show anyway?

I honestly don't see the controversy at all, feels like a bit of a stretch. All promotions first priority is to exposure/making money. It is not being shown on Samurai TV or Stardom World (at least at first). US fans would have to go out of their way to seek it out, and its not for American fans anyway. Just watch the shows and pretend like it doesn't exist, as it won't exist unless you want it to. Kayfabe died 20 years ago, I don't actually think Io is evil and nor do the fans. She still poses for pictures and smiles, I mean when Dump Matsumoto or Aja Kong do comedy matches did that kill their aura? Seems like an odd complaint in 2016 that a wrestler has to be a heel 24/7 because they portray one on TV.

Not everything in any promotion will cater to every fan, but if Stardom thinks their Japanese fans will enjoy it and it gets them new fans, then it is silly to be mad at them for going for it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I honestly don't see the controversy at all, feels like a bit of a stretch. All promotions first priority is to exposure/making money. It is not being shown on Samurai TV or Stardom World (at least at first). US fans would have to go out of their way to seek it out, and its not for American fans anyway. Just watch the shows and pretend like it doesn't exist, as it won't exist unless you want it to. Kayfabe died 20 years ago, I don't actually think Io is evil and nor do the fans. She still poses for pictures and smiles, I mean when Dump Matsumoto or Aja Kong do comedy matches did that kill their aura? Seems like an odd complaint in 2016 that a wrestler has to be a heel 24/7 because they portray one on TV.

Not everything in any promotion will cater to every fan, but if Stardom thinks their Japanese fans will enjoy it and it gets them new fans, then it is silly to be mad at them for going for it.

It's not a controversy , just a poor decision. 

Having two extra matches on the card means less tine for the other matches on the show. Say both matches are a combined ten mniutes bell to bell with another five minutes or so for ring entrances. 

That is fifteen minutes that could have been used for other matches , like the Hiromi vs Konami match, or the HZK/Momo vs Twisted Sisters match. 

Basically for non-japanese fans , you are getting a shorter show than normal, because two of the matches on the card will not be shown to you, yet they will still be taking time from the rest of the show anyway.  

That does not sound like a fair deal to me. 

Why do you assume they will be taking time away from other matches? I doubt either of the two matches you mentioned were expected to go long with or w/o the extra matches which by the way is just one more match than the occasional Korakuen card anyways.

• Like 1

Just now, Eivion said:

Why do you assume they will be taking time away from other matches?

Yea that is what I was about to say, it may just make it a longer show. Doesn't mean anything else would be trimmed. Now if they had taken away a match that would have been unfortunate, but I imagine they will do these two matches, then the traditional dancing introduction and a normal show after that. Addition doesn't always mean subtraction.

I'm actually not Stardom's biggest fan, at least I wasn't from like July to November, felt stagnant. I do like some of the things they are doing now though and I like the January gaijins coming over. But I don't go out of my way to find things to hate either like arguing over a hypothetical, the fact is the very small vocal American fan base (some of which aren't even signed up to Stardom World) isn't what dictates their decisions, they have much bigger fish to fry. Stardom likes having fans globally since that equals money but its not a priority to cater to American fans. Its fun to talk/debate Joshi but I think its important to keep in mind that nothing Stardom does on their shows is for us, we have to just watch it as it is or move on to a different promotion. I mean Oz Academy has been pissing me off for years but they don't give a damn about my opinion :)

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm actually not Stardom's biggest fan, at least I wasn't from like July to November, felt stagnant. I do like some of the things they are doing now though and I like the January gaijins coming over. But I don't go out of my way to find things to hate either like arguing over a hypothetical, the fact is the very small vocal American fan base (some of which aren't even signed up to Stardom World) isn't what dictates their decisions, they have much bigger fish to fry. Stardom likes having fans globally since that equals money but its not a priority to cater to American fans. Its fun to talk/debate Joshi but I think its important to keep in mind that nothing Stardom does on their shows is for us, we have to just watch it as it is or move on

to a different promotion. I mean Oz Academy has been pissing me off for years but they don't give a damn about my opinion :)

That's basically all theyve been doing(or at least trying to) all year. English subtitles mandatory in the YT version of Stardom World pushed 90% to western fans and shoving gaijin into EVERYTHING. Or else, what was all this? Cuz it certainly wasnt great

Problem is it's done so badly. Like joshi fans care to see sloppy gaijin who cant keep up or take some chops take up card space, on top of bad booking with 9 other promotions doing better