DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Figured we need a thread to discuss Joshi, past and present.

Current news:

Kana is the new JWP Openweight Champion. She defeated Arisa Nakajima for the belt at JWP's Korakuen Hall show today.

Posted Image

I'm not so sure how to feel about this result. I wasn't expecting Nakajima's reign to end so soon, and I'm not sure who they're going to use to take the belt off Kana, as I can't see Arisa winning it back somehow.

• Haha 1

The big news was post match as Kana grbbed Arisa by the hair and wouldn't let JWP attend ot her and claiemd to have taken Jwp's Spirit on The Plum Mariko Memorial. Kana will make things interesting for JWP at least.

James

I guess Rossy Ogawa needs to  beg Yuzuki Aikawa to come back, or stop wasting Nanae Takahashi in a curtain-jerker main event, or throw enough money to make Nanae & Kana face each other.

Two joshi shows at Korakuen this weekend.

STARDOM 8/17

Main event: Io Shirai vs Kyoko Kimura (Io retains the "red belt")

Attendance: 860 (their lowest ever in K-Hall, down almost 400 from March)

JWP 8/18

Main event: Arisa Nakajima vs Kana 

Attendance: 1200 (up 350 from their K-Hall show in April and their best since Azumi Hyuga's retirement show in 2009)

I feel bad for Rossy. Nobody could have predicted he would have lost his two top stars in under a year.

I really wish joshi could get their TV situations figured out. It really sucks that the only show that is reliable is arguably from one of the worst promotions on the planet. Stardom needs a TV Deal as does JWP, but I'd really just be cool with some 2 hour TV block if nothing else just to show us the big stuff. It's really hard to even remember half the time that joshi still exists because of it.

guess Rossy Ogawa needs to  beg Yuzuki Aikawa to come back, or stop wasting Nanae Takahashi in a curtain-jerker main event, or throw enough money to make Nanae & Kana face each other.

Heh, naw, honestly the best thing for them is to look at the big picture & stay the course not panic book and go back to Nanae or someone else for a bigger short term gain.

Some of these are points i've made before but look at the card

Kyoko Kimura, not a horrible person to have on top but has never drawn huge in the main event spot any time she's been given it except for in Ibuki. Didn't work in NEO, didn't work in JWP and it hasn't worked in Stardom in the past (Nanae vs Kimura in Jan at K-Hall drew 910 for example)

Io Shirai, wasn't built up super huge before she got the belt and has only had it 4 months. They need to make new stars, she's as good a choice as anyone and eventually I think it'll pay off but they need to have paitence to do it cause she hasn't peaked yet (Io vs Yoshiko in June at K-Hall drew 935). 

So combined this wasn't an "A" level main event and the undercard supporting it wasn't anything special in the grand scheme of things so for whear they're at currently this was about as good as they were gonna be able to do. 

If Io still hasn't caught on by next year then yeah i'd say go back to Nanae or something but for now I wouldn't give up on her on top. 

Besides, w no big name outsiders on the show and a little bit of a smaller roster i'm sure they still made a decent profit. 

It's really hard to even remember half the time that joshi still exists because of it.

Man, you really gotta cave in and just start buying shows again, especially in this age whear they're easier & cheaper to get then ever before (IVP's only charging freakin $1.49 per show to download their new releases now, no excuse)

I feel bad for Rossy. Nobody could have predicted he would have lost his two top stars in under a year.

I really wish joshi could get their TV situations figured out. It really sucks that the only show that is reliable is arguably from one of the worst promotions on the planet. Stardom needs a TV Deal as does JWP, but I'd really just be cool with some 2 hour TV block if nothing else just to show us the big stuff. It's really hard to even remember half the time that joshi still exists because of it.

Who was STARDOM's other top star that left along with Aikawa?

And why do you hate Oz Academy so much? I seriously don't see why it's so bad.

And why do you hate Oz Academy so much? I seriously don't see why it's so bad.

Natsumi Showzuki had to leave because of a spinal injury she suffered in May. It's a shame, too, as she and Kairi Hojo were really popular as a team.

As for Oz Academy, I think it has more to do with Ozaki's matches being garbage wrestling clusterfucks, involving at least three of her cronies as a rule, and that they're always the last match on the card.

Oz Academy has the same social dance problem Dragon Gate has, i.e. every match seems to be either a by-the-numbers clusterfuck or a by-the-numbers spotfest, and no one appears to give much of a shit either way.  Dragon Gate has it way worse these days though.

I forgot to mention that the biggest attendance since the old board went away was for a, you guessed it, retirement show.  Ayumi Kurihara's retirement show in early August drew 1800 to K-Hall.  Ayumi went out a winner, as she teamed with her mentor AKINO and mentee Mika Iida to beat Aja Kong, Tomoka Nakagawa, and GAMI with an Uranage on Aja.

On the joshi board someone who was at the JWP show was talking about how the JWP crowd loves Arisa and the Hanako Nakamori/Morii tag team (who just became tag champs) and how they absolutely hate Kana.  This sounds like a much better choice for "outsider wins our title and spits on our company" angle than Emi Sakura, since Emi's too nice to ever be taken seriously as a heel.

I can only guess he is maybe talking about Yoko Bito who was clearly being groomed for an eventual top spot. That said that was also probably a few years away and there were at least three others bigger than her position wise.

I can only guess he is maybe talking about Yoko Bito who was clearly being groomed for an eventual top spot. That said that was also probably a few years away and there were at least three others bigger than her position wise.

Yeah, I was talking about her. She was clearly going to be the future of the company with Yuz.

I didn't even know Showzuki left. That's a shame, but that's sadly Stardom's luck these days.

This sounds like a much better choice for "outsider wins our title and spits on our company" angle than Emi Sakura, since Emi's too nice to ever be taken seriously as a heel.

HMK had a ton of heat last year at the peak of the angle

Yeah, I was talking about her. She was clearly going to be the future of the company with Yuz.

I didn't even know Showzuki left. That's a shame, but that's sadly Stardom's luck these days.

She resigned due to her injury. If she is ever healthy enough again she will join back up with Stardom.

More JWP news: 

1. Some injuries--Sachie Abe has a minor elbow injury and will miss two weeks.  Morii broke her wrist and is out for a while--very bad timing, having just won the tag belts and with her career finally looking up.  She debuted way back in 2001 or 2002 with AJW, disappeared after a year or two, then came back with Ito Dojo, which was pretty much a blackhole for western fans.  Fortunately her & Hanako were smart enough to not go to DIANA.

2. Tsubasa Kuragaki is leaving JWP to go freelance.  Her final show will be her 15th anniversary in October and she'll probably face Kayoko Haruyama.

3. Kana's first challenger for the JWP belt is Manami Katsu-at an upcoming house show at Itabashi Green Hall. Katsu's the JWP Junior champ and is only 18.  She's pretty decent and someone clearly being groomed for bigger and better things, but Kana's obviously going to annihilate her and this will presumably set up someone else challenging Kana in the aftermath.

From some other organizations--Sendai's running Shinjuku FACE next weekend with Meiko facing Kana, DASH Chisako/Sendai Sachiko vs Yoshiko/Natsuki*Taiyo in a Senjo vs STARDOM trash-talking affair, and a Kagetsu led team of youngsters called "NOVA" (also Hikaru Shida, Sareee, Yuhi) against the "Stalwarts" (aka old ladies--Aja, Toyota, Kansai, Hamada).  In addition to shows at home in Sendai, they'll be running Niigata, Osaka, Fukuoka, and Tokyo again (K-Hall) before the end of the year.  Kagetsu's in the middle of a seven match challenge series against big names (she'll face Toyota in Sendai on 9/6) and maybe this will culminate with a big singles win at Sendai Sun Plaza in November.

OZ Academy will run Yokohama Bunka Gym again this year, on 9/15.  Card is headlined by AKINO vs Ayako Hamada for the OZ championship.  Also have Carlos Amano vs Kana, Meiko vs Sonoko Kato, Ozaki vs Nagashima in the mandatory faux-hardcore Police-a-ference fast-forward match, and probably a tag title defense by holders Tomoka Nakagawa & Hiroyo Matsumoto.

Well, the top star pretty much everyone knew about ahead of time. If he didn't have a backup plan, he'd only have himself to blame.Io was next up, even if they could have done a better job of bringing her that.

This site gives a pretty good rundown of what went down with Kana/Nakajima post-match:

http://www.dirtydirtysheets.com/2013/08/28/jwp-pure-slam-2013/

I'll take pretty good, thanks.

This sounds like a much better choice for "outsider wins our title and spits on our company" angle than Emi Sakura, since Emi's too nice to ever be taken seriously as a heel.

HMK had a ton of heat last year at the peak of the angle

They were getting cheers though over Team JWP. Even the Emi/Arisa title match was pretty split. This is not to say Kana is better/worse, because JWP is obviously trying do something different. This is one woman taking on the company, while HMK was more of a way to get two of the homegrown stars over the hump.

This site gives a pretty good rundown of what went down with Kana/Nakajima post-match:

http://www.dirtydirtysheets.com/2013/08/28/jwp-pure-slam-2013/

I'll take pretty good, thanks.

Oh, that's your site? Nice, I really appreciate finding a site where I can get the context of what's going on in the ring, so I can understand it better. Thanks for that :)

• Like 1

Arisa vs Hotta is actually available on DVD now: http://www.amazon.co.jp/JWP-MANIAX-2013-2013-4-14-%E5%BE%8C%E6%A5%BD%E5%9C%92%E3%83%9B%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB--DVD-%E4%B8%AD%E5%B3%B6%E5%AE%89%E9%87%8C%E7%B4%97/dp/B00CGXO39I/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1377926109&sr=1-1&keywords=jwp+2013

Maybe nobody wants that particular DVD that bad, but when the Kana vs Arisa DVD comes out if people want to pool together the $40 for it I can handle the rest.

On a Triple Tails note... Why exactly did Io break away from Mio and Kana?

I like Io a lot and loved the Sexy Purple Thunder Sisters team even more . I don't think Io and Mio have teamed once or even photographed together since the split. It's just somethign that kinda bothered me...

James

I don't know the exact timeline on what happened first, but Io Shirai joined STARDOM, an organization with Nanae Takahashi in the veteran ace role, who happens to have huge real-life heat with Kana.  Also in that timeframe was when Io was dating NOSAWA and the rumor was that Mio and the rest of the family did not approve.  Remember the kerfuffle last summer when NOSAWA and Io almost went to jail after getting caught with marijuana (that ended up having been planted by someone else) when returning to Japan from Mexico.

So Senjo's show at Korakuen Hall in October is going to feature a 7 vs 7 series of singles matches with a battle of generations.  Kagetsu had an interview just before this weekend's show (she just had her 5th anniversary in puroresu) and was mouthing off about how veterans need to "retire", so she's going to lead NOVA, which will have Saree, Hikaru Shida, Yuhi, and has added Yoshiko, Takuhi Iroha, and Manami Katsu.  The veterans "Mainstays" or "Stalwarts" team is going to be Meiko, Aja, Toyota, Dynamite, and 3 others to be announced.  I bet Nanae Takahashi will be one (with several STARDOM youngsters on the team) and I could see people like Bolshoi and Kyoko Inoue as well.

I guess the sisters will do something else that day--they are too old to be young and too young to be old.

If this sounds familiar, it's GAEA booking circa fall of 2000.