DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXVIII

Dolfan in NYC

If Rollins hit that Phoenix Splash for a clean pin, is that a 5 star match? I think so. Would've made Rollins. Could've had Stewart just distract Cena when he was setting up the super AA, allowing the superplex-falcon arrow.

Thought it was a great show (granted, I watched it over 4 days, not 4 hours.)

I had Rollins/Cena about the 5th best match of the show. Taker/Brock, New Day tag, Shield/Wyatts, and Cesaro/Owens were all more enjoyable matches to me. Then again I'm so over the Cena epicz style I'm not sure I'll ever like another one of those matches(especially when Seth is throwing in fucking Davey Richards spots to add to the nonsense).

At least the guy who took the superplex didn't immediately counter the next move. The superplex - falcon arrow combo isn't nearly as dumb just because of that.

But I think the first two Ownes matches and both the RAW Cesaro matches were notably better.

If Rollins hit that Phoenix Splash for a clean pin, is that a 5 star match? I think so. 

Woof, no. Not in my estimation. Not close.

I just watched Dean Malenko wrestle Ultimo Dragon on a Clash in January of 1997. It was a match where Malenko and Dragon did a shit-ton of moves, many of them crisp and cool, all one after the other. Nothing meant anything - there was a legwork tease that was immediately shook off in order to do more cool moves. It was less a match and more an exhibition of wrestling moves. I'd give it like three stars because while it was crisply wrestled, I could go on YouTube and watch a "50 Greatest Moves of..." compilation and get the same enjoyment out of it.

Cena/Rollins was that match except with Cena looking like shit and Jon Stewart on a poorly-done, poorly-conceived finish. It gets two snowflakes from me for that, but even if it had the ending you proposed, I can't imagine caring about it more than Malenko/Dragon on that Clash show. I think Summerslam matches for the WWE WHC should aspire to be more than a Malenko/Dragon opener on a Clash. 

Rollins was the best wrestler in the building that night. I liked Taker/Brock more, but Rollins looked great.

I'm not sure when Rollins went from overrated to underrated on this board, but it happened. Not a big fan of the HHH tribute act, but that doesn't take away from what he is doing in the ring.

Rollins was good. Cena had an off night. I liked the broken nose RAW match better, and a couple they had a while back better than that. No slight on Seth, he looked good. I don't think the whole main event run is working, but it's not because the matches aren't good (well, except the ladder match with Ambrose. That wasn't good.)

I've been down on Rollins ever since the Shield breakup. He's a great athlete, but he's not a good pro wrestler IMO. Kinda like Neville's first-half of his NXT Championship run or Finn Bálor. 

Hating on Rollins seems like one of those weird DVDVR things that I won't get. It's ridiculous to say he isn't a good pro wrestler. Get the fuck out of here with that.

Hey man, if you like movez~ ueber alles, Rollins is right up your alley, and more power to you. But I'm not impressed with his selling, heeling. or anything else that makes a good pro wrestler. He's a great guy to show off cool spots, but fuck no, he's not a complete (or good) pro wrestler. People getting crazy with praise for this dude like they were with Reigns after a couple matches with Bryan and Lesnar.

And to note, I was down on Rollins before most of DVDVR was if you check the March Madness threads. 

Still not a good wrestler, or something.

There are plenty of bad wrestlers in WWE, or even dudes you would say are not good at wrestling, Rollins, and Reigns to a lesser extent, are not in that group. If your personal feeling is that you don't find them to be good at wrestling because your personal preference is something other than what they bring, then fine. People like blood sausage too.

I don't understand how anyone couldn't like Rollins heeling right now.  His smug fucking facial expressions are great. He's turned it up a notch on the mic over the last few months too.  He's elevated himself into that "we can give him the mic for ten minutes and he'll be pretty good"  class that few will ever reach. 

In-ring wise..  it's not even worth discussing and I'm not sure when some fell off the wagon because I remember him having a huge March Madness one of these years.  He was far and away the best member on The Shield during their run with the Wyatts and Evolution. 

Rollins is the fucking dude.

• Like 1

Seth Rollins is in the same boat as AJ Styles and Neville where no matter how much good character work they do or how many smart matches they have, they'll still be seen primarily as movez guys because their execution is so good and maybe that's all they had going for them at one point.

I said Seth was easily the best guy in The Shield from day one, and I haven't seen anything that changes my mind thus far. If anything, the gap's gotten wider, especially with Ambrose. Reigns has gotten a lot better, but he started the farthest back. Even when they strip away the things you think would be essential to his character and help his matches (Being a face, Shield, Curb Stomp, J/J) he still finds himself having multiple top 10 level matches each year. Just this year, his performance in the Rumble triple threat, his execution of the cash-in, and the Neville match on Raw were all great character performances in addition to big action matches. I'm not really sure you could make a good argument that he isn't a top 5 WWE guy this year. I'd say he was top 5 each of the last two years also, but there's a bit more room for argument there.

• Like 1