DVDVR Message Board

2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

Canada played better in game #2, but still not good enough. Need to start burying their chances if they stand a chance in the knockout rounds.

Going to the games in Winnipeg again today. Another road report might be possible, depending on where the day/night takes me.

I honestly don't even understand the point of 90% of ESPN's talking heads anymore. Social media has basically made "man yells into TV and tells you what to think about Lebron and Tiger" an irrelevance.

This also applies in Canada, although less so. ESPN seems to be lord of ~opinionz~.

I know it will go down 10-1 and I haven't seen the highlights but shouldn't people point out it was more like 8-1 with 2 own goals I know giving up 8 still isn't good but I don't like how it gets glossed over.

Well, they talked up Cameroon´s 6-0 win over Ecuador aswell and it had three easy penalties given away by Ecuador. It still is more of significance in regards to Ecuador´s lack of class than in showing the other teams quality.

Despite being a goalless draw, I enjoyed Sweden vs USA. It was a physical and fast paced game which went back and forth. There weren´t many huge chances, but the game was really tense and both teams put in quite a shift with good defending on both sides. Unfortunately, the German announcing was so horrendous that I got really mad and shouted at my TV. Which isn´t bad per se, but it was in the middle of the night over here. Sports journalism is horrible and announcers really are the worst of the lot over here.

Columbia with what I wouild have considered a huge upset hadn´t I seen this and the first France-game.The French were a little unlucky on a few calls, but they didn´t really look like somebody who would be favourites to win. Despite the odd shot and possession statistics, they didn´t create anything in open play. The Columbian goal keeper was great aswell.

The FOX commentators (had to watch a FOX stream, for no German broadcasting station showed the match) were on the same level as the German PBS guys: all low.

Well, Brazil once again not looking like expected, but ultimately, they got the job done. If Spain´s eating habits equal their footballing style, I can see a lot of bad weather in Canada. They have some real trouble finishing.

Listened to the commentary on England vs Mexico and switched over for the goals. Clutch win for the Three Lionesses, that first goal from Kirby was mighty fine. Oh, and there are so many jokes about that 1-2-goalie-howler, but I´m not even going to touch them.

EDITed for the sake of putting over how much fun the Costa Rican team is for me. A lot of them are so short, so the protective instincts take over right away. They are rapid and they run until their legs give out, they succeeded twice in pushing through a chaotic playing style and their games were both anarchic, high paced and full of emotion against opposition that was no doubt superior in skill and tactical discipline. Yesterday´s match had a few close (and ultimately wrong) referee calls on both ends (a pk call missed on either side) aswell as lots of chances leading to a fairy tale ending for the Ticas, with the oldest player on the team scoring, a stocky striker named Karla Villalobos who looked past her prime re: physical condition. Her goal was a beauty, though, a fantastic first touch leading to a very cool finish, followed by an awesome goal celebration that saw her and a lot of teammates crying tears of joy. I think they are far to immature to advance from the group stages, but damn, they are fun to watch. Korean Republic played a great game aswell, they seemed superior in some departments, but didn´t shy away from the Costa Rican playing style and threw a lot into the match aswell. I honestly expected the gaps between those teams bigger than they seem. Spain and Korea Republic will battle for a Round of the Last 16 spot, Costa Rica has to hope to get a result against Brazil for a shot at advancing.

GerWomen win their final group game 4-0 (1-0) against Thailand who defended quite well for the first half, with all goals coming from players 21 or younger. Petermann scoring twice after being subbed on at the beginning of the second half. Norway´s 3-1 win over Ivory Coast settles die Frauschaft for first and the Norweginas for second place. The real tests will be up ahead for both teams, with Norway facing Group F´s second place, so it´s either England, Columbia or France. Or Mexico. Who knows?! Group F is crazy.

Germany plays the best third out of Group A, C or D. This means it´s either third out of Canada´s group, one of Switzerland/Cameroon or whoever gets third in the USWNT´s group. There are some tough match ups looming.

Ivory Coast is eliminated, Thailand still has a glimmer of hope should Brazil beat Costa Rica while South Korea and Spain draw while France takes a point of Mexico with England loosing to Columbia by a six goal margin. Not that much of a glimmer, I´ll admit.

OFFICIAL DVDVR WOMEN'S WORLD CUP ROAD REPORT #2!!!!! (because I forgot to write one up Friday night...)

Poor, poor Thailand goalkeeper. She played great, it would have been 8 or 9 goals for Germany if she wasn't making good saves.

China/NZ: Damned exciting game from two teams who had looked pretty poor so far. The China penalty didn't look like a penalty at all from my vantage point, and the one replay we got to see in the building seemed to show it was a bad call. China's coach getting tossed during injury time was awesome. Almost as awesome as him just standing in the tunnel and watching the rest of the game from there. :)

Fell asleep during Canada v Holland, which is a shame. Netherlands looked pretty decent in this tourney and it would be quite nice to see them advance. China´s pen was a terribly bad call from the slow motion replay, but I didn´t see how it looked in real time. Still, wrong call, which is a shame for New Zealand. Canada looked very good during the first 20 or so minutes, after that they seemed to be getting more and more nervous. Then I went to dream land. The highlights on FIFA TV looked like taken from a very lively game that could have gone either way. Canadians advancing is good for the competition and the atmosphere I´d say, but they really need some progress now and a convincing Round of the Last 16 win.

Am I correct or wrong that at worst the USWNT can at worst finish as one of the advancing 3rd places

I believe there is a scenario where the US could lose a tiebreaker in the advancing 3rd place games but it is really really remote.

It's more - they want to win their group so they play one of those third place teams instead of Brazil

I wouldn´t be too worried. USA will very likely at least draw Nigeria from what I´ve seen this tournament. Nigeria is by no means light work, but the US equals out their strength (physicality) and is probably better in tactical and technical departments. They seem to be in a good form aswell. The theoretical chance of them getting even in third place would be to loose by at least 2 goals, which I simply don´t see happening. USWNT look like strong candidates for the Gold this year, if I´d take into account all the games played up until now. They had trouble beating Australia, but those guys are strong opposition. It will be interesting to see if Sweden can beat them even...