DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I agree.

Spoiler

The story does work better as a classic horror comic tale where bad people are punished for their misdeeds by a grisly end at the hand of some monster with the poetic justice in Amateur Night being that predators suddenly find themselves as prey... literally...

I have a really bad habit of developing crushes on the actresses in this franchise. 

I'm totally in movie girlfriend love with Helen Rogers (Emily from The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger) and Hannah Hughes (Clarissa from Phase 1 Clinical Trials).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Amateur Night was one of the better segments in V/H/S, but I think I will hate on this movie on principle because:

Hide contents

Lily, the monster from Amateur Night, is a harpy, not a siren.  Correct mythos (Greek) but wrong creature..

I have a leather bound copy of Bullfinch's Mythology at my house and I flip through it at least once a month.

That shit infuriates me, too.

Stuff I forgot to mention a while back.

New horror maestro, Mike Flannigan (Hush, Oculus, Absentia, Ouija: Origin of Evil) started shooting an adaptation of Stephen King's Gerald's Game on October 17th.  

• Like 1

I'd always heard the rumors that Tabitha wrote that novel, but I thought that those two had an understanding that King would make the money and Tabitha would handle the philanthropic work. 

I don't think she's published anything under her own name in close to ten years.

People that are pro-Tabitha point out that King couldn't have written that book because he is fairly shit with female characters, but then there are examples like Carrie White and Charlie McGee that seem to contradict that.

If anything, King's handling of ethic characters, especially African Americans (MIke Hanlon from IT being the exception), usually enrages me, but that is a rant for another time.

• 2 weeks later...

Baskin was a pretty good movie. They nicely upped the atmosphere throughout and the gore scenes never felt gratuitous, but rather necessary and perfectly on point... but the final ten minutes were atrocious. Such a pity, because it would have been great otherwise.

Sometimes Adult Swim throws something on at 4 in the morning that really goes sideways and this is one of them. Didn't catch the whole thing but the last moments actually raised my hair because they were so incomprehensible and creepy. There are laughs to be had but this is more fucked up than anything. 

Here's an article somewhat explaining it http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/this-house-has-people-in-it-interview-adult-swim

• Like 1

This House has been replayed quite a few times in the past couple of years and

Spoiler

I think the support website with the puzzles and background videos is still up, but that is a bit of a spoiler.  You'll learn about the supplementary stuff if you watch the NM video below. 

I like This House Has People In It, but there are a lot of moving parts and I don't have that kind of time to drill down into all of that metadata.

YouTube has a video with the supplementary footage from the website so you don't have to go digging for them by yourself.

The NightMind Channel has a pretty good synopsis of This House Has People It:

along with videos digging into the other projects done by the AB Video Solutions think tank (Alan Resnick, Dina Kelbermann, Ben O'Brian).

I think that Unedited Footage Of A Bear is the ABVS production that creeps me out the most.  Live Forever As You Are Now is also pretty good, but it is a bit more cerebrally sinister and not as jarring as This House or Unedited Footage.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't recall exactly what happened at the end there so why did it turn you off so bad? 

Spoiler

The biggest turn-off was the clichéd 'time loop' bullshit where the sole survivor manages to escape and runs out into the road, only to be hit by a van... which had the main characters, including said sole survivor, in it and the crash happened hours earlier. It's such bullshit.

I was also disappointed how he managed to escape in the first place. With all that buildup and all those intriguing images and rituals and people, I would have hoped for something more complex than, 'you suddenly have a key that you can ram into the evil boss' skull so you can run away.' I hoped there would have been some fleshed-out mythology behind it all, but nope. Run-of-the-mill escape.

Re: Baskin 

Spoiler

Yeah, I can see that being a disappointment. The wraparound ending/circular time trope is old as hell; matter of fact it reminds me immediately of the "Reflection of Death" segment in Tales from the Crypt (1972). Which means if it wasn't done before that by O. Henry or somebody, it was old enough to have been invented enough by Bill Gaines and his EC Comics alumni in the '50s. I think it kind of works in that the literal Hell is not just what they walk into but the time loop they're stuck in to repeat endlessly. It makes sense in that respect even if you think it comes off flat. The build up to it is at least worth the watch, if you're strong of constitution. 

The Playlist just put out a list of the top 15 horror movies of the year.  I've seen 11 of them, with two others on my to-watch list.

http://theplaylist.net/the-15-best-horror-films-of-2016-20161221/

15. Conjuring 2
14. The Love Witch
13. The Monster
12. Hush
11. I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
10. Under The Shadow
9. The Neon Demon
8. Train To Busan
7. 10 Cloverfield Lane
6. Green Room
5. The Invitation
4. The Eyes Of My Mother
3. Don't Breathe
2. The Wailing
1. The Witch

The two at the bottom of the list, #s 14 and 15.  And it's not exactly that I don't want to watch them, I'm just trying to cram in a bunch of stuff right now before the year ends so that I can have a good personal "best of 2016" list ready (for no real reason) and there'd be a lot of other movies that I'd watch before those.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Re: Baskin 

Hide contents

Yeah, I can see that being a disappointment. The wraparound ending/circular time trope is old as hell; matter of fact it reminds me immediately of the "Reflection of Death" segment in Tales from the Crypt (1972). Which means if it wasn't done before that by O. Henry or somebody, it was old enough to have been invented enough by Bill Gaines and his EC Comics alumni in the '50s. I think it kind of works in that the literal Hell is not just what they walk into but the time loop they're stuck in to repeat endlessly. It makes sense in that respect even if you think it comes off flat. The build up to it is at least worth the watch, if you're strong of constitution. 

Spoiler

I understood why they did it. The leader (who was great, by the way) also explicitly stated that Hell isn't a place, but something they carry with them at all times, so that added to it. But it's just a tired cliché. The build-up was definitely worth the watch. Nicely ratcheting up the tension and then hitting you with some graphic (but very intriguing) things. It's why the ending bothered me so much: it seemed to me the movie was on its way to becoming something exceptionally good, but then they used that ending. The movie deserved a lot more after that build-up.

I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House was a nice piece of gothic horror, though I think it was about twice as long as it needed to be.

When I saw a preview for Beyond the Gates I thought it was going to be yet another attempt to cash in on the retro horror/80s fad.  I was pleasantly surprised with what they managed to do with what must have been a very low budget while at the same time paying homage to various 80s tropes and not going anywhere near overboard.  It's set in modern times and only pays passing mention to the things those of us who grew up perusing the horror sections of video stores in the 80s would be familiar with instead of being gratuitous and pandering.  There's some corniness but it's not over the top and doesn't feel like nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.  There's some of The Gate, Jumangi, and even the underrated 90s flick Brainscan in here.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:48 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

The Playlist just put out a list of the top 15 horror movies of the year.  I've seen 11 of them, with two others on my to-watch list.

http://theplaylist.net/the-15-best-horror-films-of-2016-20161221/

15. Conjuring 2
14. The Love Witch
13. The Monster
12. Hush
11. I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
10. Under The Shadow
9. The Neon Demon
8. Train To Busan
7. 10 Cloverfield Lane
6. Green Room
5. The Invitation
4. The Eyes Of My Mother
3. Don't Breathe
2. The Wailing
1. The Witch

I have seen nearly everything on this list.  Conjuring 2 isn't terribly bad, but just the thought of giving cash money that benefits the Warren household makes my stomach hurt a little.

Under The Shadow is criminally low on that list.  The bias towards US horror is jarring.

Here is my personal list of The Best of 2016 Horror Edition..

1. The Wailing

2. Under The Shadow

3. The Monster

4. The Witch

5. Don't Breathe

6. The Eyes of My Mother

7. The Neon Demon

8. Hush

9. The Invitation

19. Shin Godzilla

11. Light's Out

12. Ouija:  Origins of Evil

13. Creepy (the Asian horror movie that absolutely no one talked about this year.)

14. Observance

15. Green Room

16. Train To Busan

Stuff that is on my Horror Pile of Shame

Jack Goes Home

The Girl In The Photographs

Trash Fire

Fender Bender

The Alchemist's Cookbook

I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House.

End of year listmania continues as Indiewire gives us the "10 best horror movies you probably missed".  Some overlap with the last list, but only 3 movies I've seen and 4 that I'd never heard of, which makes it worth posting imo:

http://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-horror-movies-2016-overlooked/#!1/creepy-1600x900-c-default/

Creepy
Evolution
I Am Not A Serial Killer
Lake Nowhere
The Love Witch
Nina Forever
Observance
She Who Must Burn
Southbound
Under The Shadow

16 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

End of year listmania continues as Indiewire gives us the "10 best horror movies you probably missed".  Some overlap with the last list, but only 3 movies I've seen and 4 that I'd never heard of, which makes it worth posting imo:

http://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-horror-movies-2016-overlooked/#!1/creepy-1600x900-c-default/

Creepy
Evolution
I Am Not A Serial Killer
Lake Nowhere
The Love Witch
Nina Forever
Observance
She Who Must Burn
Southbound
Under The Shadow

I'm pleasantly surprised that I've seen quite a few of the movies on that list.

I need to see Southbound, She Who Must Burn, and Lake Nowhere.

Nina Forever was more of a black comedy than a horror film, IMO, even though there are some pretty horror thematic elements in it. 

More of those sorts of films are making these kinds of lists, but I wonder sometimes if they should qualify.  It is almost like saying that Hamlet is a horror play just because there is a ghost in it. 

Sometimes I think movies like this get put on Best of Horror lists to get exposure for them with a genre audience that is solid, loyal, and will probably try out anything once.