DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Just now, Buy Me a Burrito said:

And for the record, I think Man of Steel could have been much better with a capable and competent director. 

I think Snyder is as bad as it gets. So far he's made 15 minutes of one good movie. That's it. 

Just because that's how long you can last before "tapping out" to Sucker Punch doesn't mean it's a good 15 minutes.

Who is willing to take the sucker bet that Craig *doesn't* cry during BvS?

Mike is the shittiest troll. Try harder.

And to piggyback off of what I said, convincing someone to like something they don't like or that they're mistaken for liking or not liking something is futile as hell. Why bother? It's the dumbest thing to argue about. What does it matter if Matt D or anyone else didn't like MoS or is pessimistic about BvS?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I don't give a shit if you guys liked it or not. Shit all over it or like it as much as you want. All I know is, I'm seeing this motherfucker tomorrow and I'll decide then if it's good and if it is, great, if it's not, oh well.

Niners, you're being embarrassing. Stop caring so much for fucks sake.

Hey, I've just providing a rational and opposing viewpoint. If it wasn't for me the thread would be nothing but people whining over the same shit as Man of Steel and giving Marvel a pass for everything.  I ask questions and most of the time they're dodged... that's about it.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's funny as hell that you think Marvel's being given a pass for everything.

Well, when I see critics or posters here and elsewhere having no issue with the destruction in one movie but having a huge problem with it in another..  or saying shit like "Superman didn't care enough"  but loved Avengers and take no issue where at the end they are all joking around like hundreds of people didn't just die in Manhattan..   come on.  That's why I ask the questions I do. It's how I kill time at work.  

The citizens inside of the DC Universe build monuments to Superman and worship him as a god, while he killed thousands of people in Man of Steel.

The citizens inside of the Marvel Universe are scared of the Avengers and (to a lesser extent) Inhumans because of the destruction they cause, and that opposition creates the need for rules and regulations.

They have an ACTUAL god on the Avengers team, and you don't see normal people worshiping Thor like they do Superman in the DC Universe.

And I like DC movies, by the way. So I'm not anti DC or pro Marvel or anything. I like them all.

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

The citizens inside of the DC Universe build monuments to Superman and worship him as a god, while he killed thousands of people in Man of Steel.

That's partially true...  I haven't seen it yet but obviously there's something to that court scene. People DO have an issue with Superman, whether right or wrong..  it's not like everyone thinks he's awesome. Some are definitely questioning it such as Bruce himself..

Once again, post 1940 or 41 Superman didn't kill. Exceptions that I'm aware of are Whatever Happened To... Where he then immediately removed his powers permanently (it was also an ooc story) and late in John Byrne's run, where he then exiled himself from earth and went insane.  There, again, is the answer you say no one ever has even though I've given it several times.

"When was Batman ever for kids?". 1939-1985 pretty much continuously. Mostly since then as well, with a few exceptions here and there.

Just because it's not fun doesn't mean it's bad. True, but is it really far-fetched to expect a movie featuring two of the most beloved comic book characters be enjoyable and fun? I mean, the vast majority of both characters' history is full of fun stories, even most of the dark ones. There's even humor in stuff like Dark Knight Returns.

Critics are making the same complaints they did about Man of Steel. Maybe, just maybe, this movie has a lot of the same issues?

If you like it, great. But you ask questions. I answer them. You ignore me. Three months later you ask them again and claim nobody ever had an answer.

Snyder makes films that are glossy, hyper stylized, ultra violent films that are often emotionless. It's not shocking that a lot of people, especially film critics, wouldn't like these films.

Yes, a lot of people died in The Avengers. But there was also multiple scenes of the Avengers trying to minimize the damage and loss of life, trying to clear civilians out of the fight. Man of Steel has Superman mostly ignoring the people dying all around him during the climatic battle. If that doesn't strike you as being different, I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A review isn't "this movie should have been a comedy and wasn't"  Hundreds of people died. I realize the same thing happened in Avengers and five minutes later they were cracking jokes in a coffee shop..  maybe that works for you but to me it doesn't make sense for heroes to be doing that.. 

Laughing and joking... cracking jokes... right here:

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

"When was Batman ever for kids?". 1939-1985 pretty much continuously. Mostly since then as well, with a few exceptions here and there.

Just because it's not fun doesn't mean it's bad. True, but is it really far-fetched to expect a movie featuring two of the most beloved comic book characters be enjoyable and fun? I mean, the vast majority of both characters' history is full of fun stories, even most of the dark ones. There's even humor in stuff like Dark Knight Returns.

Critics are making the same complaints they did about Man of Steel. Maybe, just maybe, this movie has a lot of the same issues?

If you like it, great. But you ask questions. I answer them. You ignore me. Three months later you ask them again and claim nobody ever had an answer.

Snyder makes films that are glossy, hyper stylized, ultra violent films that are often emotionless. It's not shocking that a lot of people, especially film critics, wouldn't like these films.

Yes, a lot of people died in The Avengers. But there was also multiple scenes of the Avengers trying to minimize the damage and loss of life, trying to clear civilians out of the fight. Man of Steel has Superman mostly ignoring the people dying all around him during the climatic battle. If that doesn't strike you as being different, I don't know what to tell you.

It's not really a few exceptions here and there..  even Death in the Family was dark as hell but also critically acclaimed. I wasn't around in 1985 so what am I supposed to do?  I acknowledge that things may have been different once upon a time but some people refuse to acknowledge that there are many popular iterations and different doesn't mean bad.. different means... different.  These movies aren't going to please everyone.

That said, do I expect there to be flaws?  Yes, I do. I expect that there will be plenty of things I didn't like and I will discuss them just as I'll discuss the things I do like. 

Also, It's tiring reading some of these posts in here stating shit as fact..  like "Everyone thinks this sucks"  It's not everyone. Fowler, you are a smart guy. I'm not saying you ever did this but you can go to RT and see that critics hate it but you can also see that 83% of the audience so far has liked it. You can go on IMDB and see that it's had a lot of positive reactions. You can see what the Cinemascore is when that comes out.

You keep saying that Superman doesn't save people, I can count at least five times in Man of Steel where he was saving people and I can count at least a few times in the trailers we've seen from this. lol

7 minutes ago, APO said:

Man, that Avengers/Superman comparison just doesn't work for me. Too many variables that makes it come off kinda dishonest.

I accept that it doesn't work for you, what about it doesn't work..  We're talking about very similar situations, The Kryptonian invasion and the chitauri invasion. Avengers were a team so you would think maybe they can keep the casualties to a minimum but hundreds of people still died in the attack. The plot to Civil War and this movie are very similar..  superheroes are dangerous, they have to be accountable, etc...   But the coffee shop scene was played for laughs, was it not? I don't think it's crazy to see that. The deaths in The Avengers were mostly blown off..

Just to continue the same circle, I've never said Superman doesn't save people in MoS. Just that he mostly ignores them during the climatic battle.

Who said "everyone thinks this sucks?" Certainly not me, not did I say anything that even slightly implied it, so I have no idea how to respond to that point.

I also didn't say it being different was bad, I said it's not unreasonable for people to expect characters that are usually portrayed in a fun to manner to end up in a movie that I'd fun.

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I accept that it doesn't work for you, what about it doesn't work..  We're talking about very similar situations, The Kryptonian invasion and the chitauri invasion. Avengers were a team so you would think maybe they can keep the casualties to a minimum but hundreds of people still died in the attack. The plot to Civil War and this movie are very similar..  superheroes are dangerous, they have to be accountable, etc...   But the coffee shop scene was played for laughs, was it not? I don't think it's crazy to see that. The deaths in The Avengers were mostly blown off..

Played for laughs? Yes. The characters sitting around cracking jokes? No. Not at all. 

1 minute ago, Raziel403 said:

Honestly, the consequences of everything the heroes do in the MCU outside of the Netflix shows are all blown off, that's been my issue.  

Pretty much but the flack that DC receives for it dwarfs any type of flack the MCU has received, if they have received any at all...  Critics and bloggers refuse to call out anything in the MCU. 

Fowler, I don't know what "fun" is supposed to mean..  I've read a lot of the reviews and they imply or outright say that "fun" means humor, comedy..   Batman has never been comedic, certainly not in anything I've ever read or seen..   maybe some dry humor from time to time but he's Batman. He's a dark character.  He was dark in the Burton films. He was dark with Nolan.

The idea that Batman isn't supposed to be a kid-friendly property is just a bizarre claim to make, considering that the character appears in literally dozens of cartoons and video games and has continuously had his likeness sold in toy stores at all times always.  From 1992-2014, there's always been some kids' show on first-run TV which featured Batman as a main character, sometimes multiple shows running simultaneously.