DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

So apparently the DeAndre Jordan thing was based on DeAndre Jordan feeling that his agent was negotiating for Mark Cuban more than he was negotiating for him. From what I've heard from other NBA players being interviewed, the player only deals with his agent.  They may have a conversation with the other teams owner/GM/coach, but when it comes down to actually getting a deal done the player trusts his agent to get him the best deal.  Apparently Jordan felt that his agent wasn't working in his best interest with the deal in Dallas to the point that he called another agent from the agency to be there to validate the contract with the Clippers.  People are talking about Jordan like he did something wrong, but this story gets more complicated by the day.   

What about the nonsense regarding Doc's daughter convincing DJ to come back to LA? I'm surprised nobody's jumped on that here. 

I posted about the disagreement with the agent, because that kind of made sense based on that agent's friendship with Cuban and the shadiness with Parsons' contract.  Everyone involved seems to have a different story.  The agent thing is really the only thing that seems like a reason, everything else just seems like a cute story.

So apparently the DeAndre Jordan thing was based on DeAndre Jordan feeling that his agent was negotiating for Mark Cuban more than he was negotiating for him. From what I've heard from other NBA players being interviewed, the player only deals with his agent.  They may have a conversation with the other teams owner/GM/coach, but when it comes down to actually getting a deal done the player trusts his agent to get him the best deal.  Apparently Jordan felt that his agent wasn't working in his best interest with the deal in Dallas to the point that he called another agent from the agency to be there to validate the contract with the Clippers.  People are talking about Jordan like he did something wrong, but this story gets more complicated by the day.   

Yeah, it looks like Dan Fegan and Cuban have had dealings in the past.  So if Jordan thought Fegan was guiding him toward Dallas despite it being a worse option for his client, that's a problem.

Some media are also indicating that Doc Rivers may have had his daughter talk with DJ about staying with LAC.  This opens up a can of worms, because she's dates a couple of basketball players in the past.  Without going there, they went there with that possible angle.

There's a good 30 for 30 short being written here.

EDIT:  Heavens, I have got to get my eyes checked--just seeing where others have discussed the Callie Rivers angle.

Honestly, I think Fegan is becoming a bit of a scapegoat to help DJ save face.  Yeah, he probably talked up Cuban and the Mavs organization, but all of the fault can't be placed on him.  If he had THAT much pull, Dwight Howard would have signed there 2 years ago.  It comes off like people make excuses for poor, impressionable Deandre.

I don't think anyone is letting Jordan off the hook.  Everyone agrees that he handled this poorly.  He should have just called Cuban, told him sorry, and moved on.  But it's hard to ignore the series of events surrounding this.

Then again, we're arguing about millionaires shafting billionaires.  So who are the real impressionables here? :mellow:

• Like 1

Why does he need to call Cuban, when he hired someone to do that negotiation.  A player doesn't negotiate his contract, the agent negotiates his contract.  Once he told his agent he wasn't going to Dallas, he doesn't need to tell anyone else if he doesn't want to.  There is someone who gets paid millions of dollars to have that conversation for him.

Why does he need to call Cuban, when he hired someone to do that negotiation.  A player doesn't negotiate his contract, the agent negotiates his contract.  Once he told his agent he wasn't going to Dallas, he doesn't need to tell anyone else if he doesn't want to.  There is someone who gets paid millions of dollars to have that conversation for him.

Common courtesy, for starters.  It's the adult thing to do.

Just because you don't have to do something doesn't mean you shouldn't.

But again, all this goes back to Fegan's relationship with Cuban and whether Fegan thought he could reconvince Jordan to signing with Dallas.  It's convoluted, to be sure.

The NBA is the only league that can the owners claim to be poor, because they are too stupid to stop spending money.  The NBA is also the league where the players mean the most.  The NBA is only as good as their star players, and all of those stars are woefully underpaid in relation to their actual value to the league.  LeBron can only make $20 some million per year, when he'd probably be underpaid at 50 based on his value to the league. 

There's a big difference between being rich and being wealthy.  Owners are wealthy.  Players are usually rich, young guys who came into a lot of money really fast. Between the two, fans are more likely to label players as greedy.  Admittedly some fans are wising up now since the media coverage has improved on it.

That recent John Oliver segment about the sport stadium racket is all you need to know about owner greed.

• Like 2

It's baffling to me how pro-owner sports fans tend to be. This lockout is going to be amazing. I hope it breaks into class warfare between the owners again and the big markets crush the hardliner small markets.

Idk, I just don't get into the habit of picking sides when two sets of absurdly rich people argue over who deserves more money.

I don't think it's about picking sides so much as realizing that billionaires crying poverty isn't right. No way are they and the association losing a single dime.

Small market owners need to be careful.  Because I can see a scenario where James Dolan and the Busses gain a lot of leverage and leave them out in the cold.