DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

Remember a couple of years ago when the Raptors made that offer sheet to Landry Fields with the crazy poison pill salary bump so the Knicks wouldn't match?  And then the Raptors realized they were stuck with Landry Fields on an untradeable contract?  

That's what this Kanter thing feels like.

He'll cash in next year with the huge cap increase, no?

It jumps from 70 this year to somewhere around 90 next year. I *think* Lebron can get 35% of the cap.

But it should jump to around 108-110 the year after that, and then shipping basically level off. That's likely the year he signs the four or five year max for his last big contact. Because while 24.5 a year is nice, and 31.5 is better, 38.5 is a hell of a lot more.

So in theory he signs one more of these kind, and he makes over the next 7 years something like 245 million.

Roy Hibbert deal to LA official. Pacers then signed Jordan Hill. I think he'll do well there. If they realize early on that he's a good 18-20 minute off the bench hustle guy, they'll like him. He's not really good on D though.

Wes Matthews is now getting 4 years at $70 million. I'm sorry Mavs fans.

I can live with it for now.  The money is just sitting there doing nothing now, and we have a ton of cap next year. 

Also, Zaza Pachulia.........could be worse I guess.

• Like 1

Remember a couple of years ago when the Raptors made that offer sheet to Landry Fields with the crazy poison pill salary bump so the Knicks wouldn't match?  And then the Raptors realized they were stuck with Landry Fields on an untradeable contract?  

That's what this Kanter thing feels like.

Enes can score, but do nothing on the D. Not the worst move for Portland, as can give them points without threatening to be good. I am good either way, as  Rudy will be schooling his ass either way. . . 

I don't know if there is a god, but I'm pretty sure he hates me.

It could be worse, Dallas was almost the team to give him a terrible contract last time he was an FA.  At least this way you'll get his dried-out husk for a reasonable price.

I don't know if there is a god, but I'm pretty sure he hates me.

It could be worse, Dallas was almost the team to give him a terrible contract last time he was an FA.  At least this way you'll get his dried-out husk for a reasonable price.

Just think how your boy Dirk feels.  He gets paid less than a role player who, as far as we know, only has one working leg.  Dirk is one of the top 30 or so players of all time, and he gets paid $8 million a year, while Chandler Parsons who will never be a top 30 player in the league gets paid $15 million.  How does he look any of those dudes in the eye without wanting to punch them.  Seriously for a guy who claims to be all about his players, Mark Cuban hasn't really done right by his best player.  The lesson as always is, take care of yourself, because there is no guarantee anyone else will.  That is kind of like Wade in Miami, Wade is the best player in franchise history(Lebron wasn't there long enough) and has never been the highest paid player on the team.  Then Pat Riley tried to act like he was being selfish for asking for more money.  He's the most important player in the history of the franchise and has spent his entire career playing for a discount, and they call him selfish.  That is why I don't have a problem with DeAndre going back to the Clippers, because ultimately your happiness is your responsibility.  If you are going to be happier in L.A. than Dallas, go be a Clipper and fuck anyone who doesn't like it.

Actually, Dirk is who I feel for more than anyone else in this whole ordeal.  I just hate that his last couple of years in the game will probably be for nothing.  With that said, I feel somewhat good about the squad this year.  I don't think we're a lottery team at least.

I don't think you can really put that on Cuban.  Dirk could have gotten more money elsewhere, and almost certainly could have gotten more money out of Dallas if he'd tried.  But he (and Timmy D, who is a top-5 all-timer who will make $5M next year) made their choices about what was important to them and made deals accordingly.  I think you can debate whether it's better to go that route or the Kobe route, but they're both valid choices made by fully-informed players.

If you want to nail Cuban nail him for constantly fucking up with that extra money he's saving from Dirk.

• Like 3

I don't think you can really put that on Cuban.  Dirk could have gotten more money elsewhere, and almost certainly could have gotten more money out of Dallas if he'd tried.  But he (and Timmy D, who is a top-5 all-timer who will make $5M next year) made their choices about what was important to them and made deals accordingly.  I think you can debate whether it's better to go that route or the Kobe route, but they're both valid choices made by fully-informed players.

If you want to nail Cuban nail him for constantly fucking up with that extra money he's saving from Dirk.

The difference between Timmy and Dirk is that Timmy has taken a pay cut to keep a core together and Dirk took a paycut for a promise of something that has been proven to be make believe.  The thing is that Dirk's had multiple teams that had solid cores, but they've broken up those cores multiple times.  They let Nash walk before he became a multiple time MVP(I get the health concerns, but still).  They let Tyson Chandler go, before bringing back the washed up version.  They never really get any of the free agents they go after, despite the fact that they are always reported to be on players short lists.  That also doesn't take into account that they can afford to pay Dirk and sign another all star caliber player.  The Mavs aren't giving that money to superstars, they are giving that money to people who will never make an all star team.  The Spurs are paying a group of players three of which will most likely be in the hall of fame.

• Like 1

If Deandre is happier as a Clip, good for him. My problem with the whole thing was form rather than substance. He acted like a fucking child who broke a neighbors window, rather than a man. . . .

• Like 1

The difference between Timmy and Dirk is that Timmy has taken a pay cut to keep a core together and Dirk took a paycut for a promise of something that has been proven to be make believe.  The thing is that Dirk's had multiple teams that had solid cores, but they've broken up those cores multiple times.  They let Nash walk before he became a multiple time MVP(I get the health concerns, but still).  They let Tyson Chandler go, before bringing back the washed up version.  They never really get any of the free agents they go after, despite the fact that they are always reported to be on players short lists.  That also doesn't take into account that they can afford to pay Dirk and sign another all star caliber player.  The Mavs aren't giving that money to superstars, they are giving that money to people who will never make an all star team.  The Spurs are paying a group of players three of which will most likely be in the hall of fame.

Believe me, I'm wasn't trying to defend Dallas' front office acumen, just the particular case of Dirk's contract.  If it weren't for the title in 2011 they would be getting savaged by media and the fans even more than they already are, and rightfully so.

Cool fact: Dallas hasn't drafted a player who has played productive minutes for them since Josh Howard in 2003.

Random Act... seriously, how much of the blame do you place on Donnie Nelson? I know Cuban is the media whore but when the Spurs talk about acquisitions, Peter Holt's name is never brought up. It is always Pop and Buford. 

Can we back up to "Tim Duncan is a top 5 all-timer" for a moment?

He's great, amazing, and his longevity is stunning. But Jordan, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Bird, Russell...

• Like 2

I'd put Timmy top 5 at his position easily. All time?  Who knows.

Goodhelmet, sometimes I wonder how much Nelson really does.  Like, how many of these moves were his doing?  I know he's the basketball brain of the organization, but I've always felt like Cuban is the one pushing for every move and acquisition.  I think he's credited with Tyson and JET, but not sure about anything else.

Can we back up to "Tim Duncan is a top 5 all-timer" for a moment?

He's great, amazing, and his longevity is stunning. But Jordan, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Bird, Russell...

OK, I got a little excited.  I'd still say top-10, though.

I'd put Timmy top 5 at his position easily. All time?  Who knows.

If we're talking about him as a PF, then he's #1 and there's a pretty big gulf between him and #2.

I have Duncan in my Top 5 but I am a little biased. Going to do a podcast this weekend with some other NBA nuts about the Top Ten players of all time. Plenty of discussion on Russell, Wilt, Duncan, Kobe, etc. 

Someone wants to play for the Mavs!

If he can get rid of that albatross of a contract Billy King should do this faster than Usain Bolt. If it's true than God apparently heard Phrokherov's prayers.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m3 minutes ago

Story going online now: ESPN sources say Deron Williams seeking release from Brooklyn Nets so he can sign with his hometown Dallas Mavericks

I have Duncan in my Top 5 but I am a little biased. Going to do a podcast this weekend with some other NBA nuts about the Top Ten players of all time. Plenty of discussion on Russell, Wilt, Duncan, Kobe, etc.

I'd have to put Wilt on top because he has records that are so insane that they will never be broken. My favorite is him averaging more than 48 minutes played per game one season.