DVDVR Message Board

SmackDown Spoilers for 4/16

Michael Sweetser

I'm not sure where this goes, but...

Daniel Bryan has apparently been pulled from the rest of the current WWE European tour. The most recent advertising for the rest of the tour has Bryan removed from the remaining shows.

We noted earlier this week that Dave Meltzer mentioned on Wrestling Observer Radio that Bryan has been working hurt. Bryan has been competing mostly in six-man matches, and has only worked two singles matches since winning the Intercontinental title at WrestleMania 31 earlier this month. He hasn't wrestled on RAW the past two weeks.

Bryan did work last night's SmackDown taping in London, teaming with John Cena. We hope to have more shortly.

Welp.

I wouldn't bet money on Bryan lasting much longer. If he does, the company will be afraid to push him because you can't plan around a guy whose health is so fragile, he might go back on the shelf any day now.

Truthfully, I don't feel like Bryan has smartened up much. Seems like most every match I've seen since he came back has had at least one spot that made me cringe.

I'm not sure where this goes, but...

Daniel Bryan has apparently been pulled from the rest of the current WWE European tour. The most recent advertising for the rest of the tour has Bryan removed from the remaining shows.

We noted earlier this week that Dave Meltzer mentioned on Wrestling Observer Radio that Bryan has been working hurt. Bryan has been competing mostly in six-man matches, and has only worked two singles matches since winning the Intercontinental title at WrestleMania 31 earlier this month. He hasn't wrestled on RAW the past two weeks.

Bryan did work last night's SmackDown taping in London, teaming with John Cena. We hope to have more shortly.

Welp.

Cue board celebration.

This has been the most Russoriffic week of TV booking ever, and I am surprised that noone has said anything about it. Granted, I did not read the RAW thread.

It sounds like my hiatus from main product WWE is becoming well-deserved.

I don't see them letting Mizdow "be the brand" for more than a few weeks, so this feud is probably going to do him no favors.  I'm kinda hoping Mizdow can stay over once he drops the Miz moveset and mannerisms, but I'm not really expecting much.  As over as Mizdow has been, it seems like establishing Mizdoww as his own character would have been the logical step once they split him from Miz.

"Winner gets to be the Miz" stip sounds like a ridiculous Fire Pro feud I simmed years ago, where the blowoff to a Punk-KENTA feud was the rights to KENTA's moveset

(Fortunately, KENTA won the match.  I didn't have a backup plan for KENTA if he lost to Punk.  Probably would have had to future endeavor him for 90 days, then invoke the 90 rule and put him back on the active roster like nothing happened.)

The "exciting cruiserweight who can hang with the big boys but can't quite pull it out" role is a really great one to have. There's nothing wrong in having a guy who can have really entertaining matches with anyone. You need an entertaining mid-card, too.

The "exciting cruiserweight who can hang with the big boys but can't quite pull it out" role is a really great one to have. There's nothing wrong in having a guy who can have really entertaining matches with anyone. You need an entertaining mid-card, too.

It's better though to have a few high flyers and let them feud over who is the slickest motherfucker with the fastest moves and who flies highest.  The closest they've gotten to that was Hardy's Edge/Christian.  But for the cruiser thing to work, that has to be what it's about.  The crowds will get into that kind of gunslinger storyline if you keep them away from the big boys and let them do their thing.

That at least gives fans conditioned only to take power moves seriously a reason to care about what the fast guys do when they're on. If one of them catches on and really breaks out personality wise, then give him a chance to do the "he's got heart, he took on Ryback" thing.

Justin Gabriel and Sin Cara were feuding over that very thing late last year. On Superstars, naturally.

Am I the only person who thinks that Mizdow's overness is as much a product of him being a guy who... Roman Reigns is pushed by the company as a top guy, Company Ace, Babyface World Champion level guy, and the fans reject it and boo him. Damien Sandow is a perfectly capable wrestler who's put on TV with a pretty generic character, never really gets any kind of sustained push, and when it looks like they're pushing him (MitB) they aren't. So the fans start cheering him massively, because fuck you Vince we cheer who we want.

Mizdow is over because Miz is so damn good at being an annoying douchebag heel

I hate the Miz, but he's great at everything except the actual wrestling part. It really says something when you can make people believe Alex Riley is worth a shit.

And don't get me wrong I love Sandow, I'm happy he still has a job at this point.  I love his character, a self professed genius who loses his MITB shot, has a mental breakdown, then starts imitating people...and becomes a famous actor!?

I think the copycat gimmick could still work after this, but they either need to team him up with someone like, I don't know, R-Truth & TruthDow, someone else said Usedow, which would be hilarious too.  Or have a legend as his manager and have him come out with Hogan, Piper, Slaughter, Flair etc and do their gimmicks.

I don't know how long that could last, but I'm sure the old boys would love it.  Could they transition him back to good ol Damien Sandow, as a babyface?

It takes talent to the imitator gimmick over. Does anyone remember when they tried to give this gimmick to Charlie Haas? 

Goddammit I've been mentioning that since he started it and he seemed doomed to a similar fate. BTW, the R-Truth tag team sounds awesome. Two guys that are great at comedy wrestling being delusional and bizarre. It'd be like Goldust/Stardust without the same amount of workrate but better promos and backstage segments.