DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 COLLEGE BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

Wichita State is a damn good team. but they are going to get over-seeded like the team they knocked out of the dance last year, Gonzaga.

For the record, unless Indiana wins the Big 10 tournament, there's no way they are getting into the NCAA tournament this year. Their RPI is way too low (99) to deserve consideration. The entire state of Indiana might get shut out this season, with Purdue and Butler both sucking too.

Heh, I know IU isn't getting in.  I was picking the worst team in the B1G with a winning record that the committee might sneak in through some chicanery and give a low seed to.   But I am convinced WSU won't get past the Elite 8.   They're going to run into a talented team from a major conference with a so-so record (Minnesota, Baylor, BYU) and get annihilated.   

I'm going to go ahead and say WSU will be the worst team to ever get a #1 seed. 

30-0 means they'll get a #1, no one can argue that... even if they are playing My Little Sister State and the South Dakota Institute For the Blind 30 times to get there.

If they lose to Missouri State this week, they'll drop like an anvil... probably to 3, maybe even 4, which is probably a lot closer to where they should be. 

I just looked at Wichita State's schedule, and damn, there's not a lot on there. They beat Saint Louis and BYU, and that's it for RPI top 50 teams. They only have 6 wins against the RPI top 100, and one of those was #99 ranked Alabama. If they run the table and get to 34-0, then they are getting #1 seed, but man, that's not much of a resume. I also did not realize how badly most of the Mizzou Valley schools suck this season.

I don't think Wichita State is undeserving of their ranking, or of a number one seed, should they get it. And I seriously doubt they'll get trounced by a so-so team from a major conference; they defend too consistently for that. I wouldn't mind seeing them get knocked out early, however, since I'd really rather KU avoid them. Wichita St would have ample motivation, given the perception (which just so happens to be true) that KU is ducking them, while Self basically gives the "B+ player" speech. Plus, you know, we've got a bit of history with Missouri Valley teams, which I don't want to talk about.

It's not really their fault their conference is awful.

No, but it's their fault their non-conference scheduling wasn't very good. Hopefully in the future they get some better major conference teams to play. DePaul, Tennessee and Alabama are not the programs they used to be.

It's not really their fault their conference is awful.

No, but it's their fault their non-conference scheduling wasn't very good. Hopefully in the future they get some better major conference teams to play. DePaul, Tennessee and Alabama are not the programs they used to be.

And there's the rub: the big schools want nothing to do with them. Kansas and K State "have nothing to gain by playing them," so they'll be forced to beat up on weaker opposition, which will "prove" that they're not as good as they look because of their non-conference scheduling.

• Like 1

Pretty much what Pete said.  No one from a top school is going to return their call because there's no margin in it for them.  Their best bet would be to try and jump to a better conference, which won't happen because of their lack of a football team, or hit the in-season tournaments hard.

And it's not like they only played the Little Sisters of the Poor this year.  SLU is legit..  BYU is Kenpom top 50 and has wins against Texas and Gonzaga.  Tennessee and Alabama were both supposed to be having better seasons than they ended up having.

Nobody said they have only played the Little Sisters of the Poor. My first post pointed out they played Saint Louis and BYU. My point is that instead of playing Emporia State, North Carolina Central, Oral Roberts and Davidson, maybe they should have been trying to get a Gonzaga, Creighton or Memphis on the schedule. Gonzaga and Memphis seemingly have no problem playing a home-and-home with anybody, and they were conference rivals with Creighton until this season.

That being said, Kansas and Kansas State are wussies for refusing to play Wichita State. WUSSIES!!!! :lol:

Get up to go to work, but still angry.

Fuck you Coach Cal and your one and done, players first, "we're making dreams come true" bullshit. Newsflash: you're not the fucking Fab 5, your team is full of a bunch of overrated, uninterested, lazy, heartless, crybabies with low basketball I.Q. who only care about their draft stock. Get a few guys who give a fuck about winning at Kentucky, who are invested in the program, or take your ass to the NBA you overrated, overpaid, can only win with All-Americans on my team, self-involved, egocentric prick.

*breath*

I think they'd like to, but how do you enforce that in practice?

I guess the only way would be to forfeit the game that was just won. Its not a great idea, but it might work. . . 

Hell to the no. Fine the school if you have to, but under no circumstances do you forfeit a win. That way lies disaster.