DVDVR Message Board

The "Bill Cosby is a monster" thread.

Reed

I think Whoopi Goldberg is out of her Goddam mind!

She basically is defending Cosby saying "can you really call it sexual assault if they weren't knowing?"

My mind boggles

James

This is a woman who voluntarily chose to go by the name "Whoopi."

Her opinions are worth less than nothing.

*40 women accuse Cosby of being a rapist*

*Cosby joked in the '70s about being a rapist*

*Cosby admits in 2005 he is a rapist*

Whoopi Goldberg: "Where is the proof Cosby is a rapist?"

Miss fucking Marple, she is not. 

• Like 1

Regarding Cosby's shows and movies, is it even possible to go back to watching them?  It's a different scenario, but with the Benoit story people were saying how they couldn't watch his stuff again.  Or if you don't want to use Benoit it can be anybody else, but same thing.

I guess point I'm getting at is can we watch or enjoy in any way Cosby Show, Fat Albert, whatever movies he did and so on?  I liked some of his comedy specials, but personally have no problem forgetting they ever happened.  I just can't see them and not be reminded of what he did.

And really, in the grand scheme of things it is a trivial point.  He is very much a piece of shit and should have the worst happen to him.

These people don't know Bill Cosby, they aren't related, they just laughed at some of his jokes.  Why the hell are you defending someone who is pretty clearly a rapist?  What are you getting out of this?  Fuck that dude.

We're a nation of starfuckers who establish these weird relationships in our heads with famous people.  Say some shit about Beyonce and "The Beyhive" will flood your Twitter with threats.  Why?  They'll never meet and be friends IRL with Beyonce and she'd probably not piss on them if they were on fire.  We've always been celeb-obsessed but I think social media has made it worse because now we can form these phony relationships and actually be "friends" with them.  Anyway, we're just obsessed with famous people and think they're the infallible, best versions of us.  They come into our homes by TV, radio, Internet, etc and we think they're our pals. There is no wonder at all in my mind that people still stand up for Cosby.

• Like 1

Regarding Cosby's shows and movies, is it even possible to go back to watching them?  It's a different scenario, but with the Benoit story people were saying how they couldn't watch his stuff again.  Or if you don't want to use Benoit it can be anybody else, but same thing.

I guess point I'm getting at is can we watch or enjoy in any way Cosby Show, Fat Albert, whatever movies he did and so on?  I liked some of his comedy specials, but personally have no problem forgetting they ever happened.  I just can't see them and not be reminded of what he did.

And really, in the grand scheme of things it is a trivial point.  He is very much a piece of shit and should have the worst happen to him.

Those movies, TV shows, and comedy specials are still funny right?  The Cosby Show is one of the best sitcoms of all times, you can pretend that it didn't happen, but you'd just be lying to yourself.  R. Kelly made some hit records.  John Lennon was hugely abusive.  Roman Polansky made some pretty good movies.  Sean Penn once hit Madonna in the head with a baseball bat.  Michael Fassbender has abused women.  Did none of their movies/songs happen? 

Don't mind Whoopi.  It's the weed talking, y'all.  I think she honestly believes that saying crazy shit keeps her relevant.  It is hilarious the importance and weight that social commentary comedians place on their own opinions.

If she really wanted to throw us a curve, she wouldn't say anything.

Those movies, TV shows, and comedy specials are still funny right?  The Cosby Show is one of the best sitcoms of all times, you can pretend that it didn't happen, but you'd just be lying to yourself.  R. Kelly made some hit records.  John Lennon was hugely abusive.  Roman Polansky made some pretty good movies.  Sean Penn once hit Madonna in the head with a baseball bat.  Michael Fassbender has abused women.  Did none of their movies/songs happen? 

You make a conscious decision to either keep everything bundled or try to divorce the art from the person.

Some people can do it and some can't and your level of tolerance depends on the artist.  I can't watch Benoit matches anymore but I can watch Rosemary's Baby at the drop of a hat.   I can't stand R. Kelly songs but New Magneto gets a pass.

We are all hypocrites like that.  My GF wanted to instantly pitch all of her Cosby related album and DVDs but her Michael Jackson stuff is all on the top shelf of the CD rack upstairs in our loft and I know she'd never part with it.

• Like 1

The issue with trying to watch The Cosby Show separate from the real life antics of Cosby is when you realize that Cliff's suburban FOLKSINESS~! gimmick was part of the act to disarm suspicions. 

That's what the "folksiness" stuff tends to be. An act to hide the dark shit beneath the surface.

Never ever trust someone being way too "folksy."  It's usually a camouflage. 

Jimmy Stewart and Tom Hanks would disagree.

Stewart had Vertigo. Hanks has a decent body of work that doesn't involve him being THE NICEST GUY EVER WHO YOU'D LIKE TO BE YOUR NEIGHBOUR~!

Cosby could only ever pretend to be who he thought you wanted him to be. The guy had no real range. Maybe there was a reason for that. All his life he was concerned with convincing you he was the one thing he wasn't.  

Of course, it's possible I'm looking too deep into all this.

Stewart had Vertigo. Hanks has a decent body of work that doesn't involve him being THE NICEST GUY EVER WHO YOU'D LIKE TO BE YOUR NEIGHBOUR~!

Cosby could only ever pretend to be who he thought you wanted him to be. The guy had no real range. Maybe there was a reason for that. All his life he was concerned with convincing you he was the one thing he wasn't.  

Cosby also spent the entire time insulting anyone who wasn't the image he was portraying to the world.  If you acted in a way that was outside of his ideal, he'd publicly berate you like you were less than human.  The crazy thing is if you listen to other comics talk about Bill Cosby, they all seem to have the same story about how the first time they met him he was a complete asshole to them.  I've met a lot of people, some rich, some poor, some good, some bad, and some terrible.  The people you have to watch out for are the ones who try to judge you for how you dress, talk, or whatever.  There are people who will give you life advice about how to get ahead in the world from a place of love, and there are the ones who are constantly talking shit about anyone who chooses to look or act differently than them.  The people who judge people based on trivial shit are the worst.  Seriously, those dudes all have crazy skeletons in their closet.  I'm telling you those guys who are constantly talking about how you need to act, dress, or whatever are generally terrible people. 

• Like 2

Klaus Kinsi usually played a total fucking madman in his movies. Benoit played a violent thug named Chris Benoit who liked choking the life out of people. That's a bit different from Cosby's characters always being the folksy family-man Pillar Of The Community types while the man himself was an unrepentant sexual predator. The mental disconnect is much more jarring with him.

The issue with trying to watch The Cosby Show separate from the real life antics of Cosby is when you realize that Cliff's suburban FOLKSINESS~! gimmick was part of the act to disarm suspicions.

That's what the "folksiness" stuff tends to be. An act to hide the dark shit beneath the surface.

Never ever trust someone being way too "folksy." It's usually a camouflage.

The president starts drawling and saying "folks" a lot anytime he talks about gun control. FEMA DEATH CAMPS CONFIRMED.

(I actually think you have a fair point about fake down-homeyness being used as a weapon but I live in a place where it is impossible not to hear conspiracy bullshit right now so this is what I thought of.)

It's not about him being a good comedian. It's about him being a symbol, or even the father of a certain ethos.

Ironically, it's that symbolism that came back to bite him. In releasing the transcript of his 2005 testimony, the judge said Cosby had made his behavior and ethics a public issue with all his moralizing and lecturing. And thus that made his testimony a matter of public interest and subject to being released.

Of course, it's possible I'm looking too deep into all this.

No range???  I've taken it that you have never seen Let's Do It Again, Uptown Saturday Night, or Mother, Juggs and Speed?  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not of the opposing view, but your anger over this is...interesting to say the least.  You just can't go around making contentious statements like that.

I'm more angry over the fact he likely won't see jail-time more than anything.

I don't mourn the loss of a talent, that's all. 

It's hard not to go back and look at Eddie Murphy or Hannibal Burress' points and not see what they're getting at.

I don't think he was a comedy genius, IMO. Anyone trying to be everyone's "suburban dad" is not going to particularly funny. Whatever his reasons, Cosby was determined to fit in. That's simply never funny in a comedian. The point of comedians is they don't fit in.

The point of comedians is they don't fit in.

You don't get to be in a position to make the observations that inspire your social commentary by not fitting in.  Sure you adopt the crazy gimmick when you are on stage, but you don't get to be in those magical situations where you catch humans being tragically human if you don't fit in.

There is no doubt that Cosby is a comedic genius but like the most famous artists, his dark side got the better of him.

Yeah, possibly. I just think at some point you have to ask: How much of the "folksy dad" schick was an act to distract people?

Someone suggested the other day that Cliff being a gynaecologist was simply so the show could lure in youngish women extras for Cosby and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since.  It sounds silly but, yeah, it does make a lot of sense. 

Look at Jimmy Saville. Look at Gary Glitter. Were they guys talented guys who got into the entertainment industry and happened to find all these victims? Or were they predators who intentionally got into the entertainment industry to find easy victims?

It's a compelling question. We might never get answer. 

As a kinda younger (I guess) black person, I definitely get why black people don't want to genuinely associate with Cosby after he has been so adamant about what we should do and all of that. Now that he is in this situation, he ain't getting the same pass OJ got after Simpson/Goldman murders. And that was murder! The same discussion I've had with supremebve (IIRC) months back in this thread or a similar one many times over in some form. Personally, I believe you do what you want because society has always been fucked up and it's survival of the fittest. Even if Cosby wasn't a serial rapist and was a real Jello Pudding/Kids Say the Darnest Things guy, I'm sure he still stepped on the necks of a few people just to get somewhere just because that's the nature of the business he is in. So the same dog-eat-dog thing applies to him. That's very clear since he took advantage of a bunch of women who wanted to be someone and saw who he was.

For me, it's just very hard for me to go in on him based on at least two things. First, I don't believe and never believed in role models in that manner. My uncle sold crack cocaine for the Chambers Brothers back in the day in the middle of the bumfuck Mississippi Delta area. I grew up knowing all things and circumstances ain't the same. So I understood that the Huxtables were a madeup TV family and whatnot. It was cool to watch, but I am not building a shrine for Bill Cosby because he showed me black people can be successful and go to college. Even though it's a very nice representation and accurate depiction that our culture is indeed diverse, everything on television and films is a stereotype. Some stereotypes are good and some are bad. Thus, I am not sure why we are so engrossed in having every thing be represented just one way. So I guess I disagree vehemently with Cosby in that way. While I do dislike BET and all those faux pseudo celeb reality shows, I've grown to understand that stuff has its place. White people don't get mad when they have mobster shows and shows where people have bad Boston/New England accents like they're on the set of The Perfect Storm. They get mad in areas other than race. However, if you want go ahead and make everything over-the-top pandering to a certain demo trying to find the next Cosby show like some of the cancelled Tracee Ellis Ross shows, go right ahead and do a Huxtable family clone.

The second reason is just based on what J.T. said especially in regard to black entertainers. We can just do some comedians:

Pryor - Very liberal with his handling of women to say the least. Had his own allegiations of abuse and rape that have been swept under the rug pretty much. Extremely bitter towards to the end of his active career. However, if you saw Jojo Dancer and knew that was his story, you would not be surprised how fucked up his life was.

Mooney - Made his career out of burning bridges, but was known for his social commentary so he just rolled with the punches. Then, he became even more bitter than usual and alienated himself from the entertainment world all together. He was tagging other people's (usually younger comedians he took on the road) jokes after sometimes outright stealing them. He was going in on everyone who he felt wronged him in the past or present. Case in point, speaking of Tracee Ellis Ross, he told a brutal joke about Diana Ross' husband dying by skiing into a tree/falling in a mountain accident at the 2005 BET Awards or w/e awards they had at that time. And this was with Diana and her daughter in attendance! Hey, it could have been tasteless but funny. My point is that's who he was at the time.

He also gets extremely mad everytime people discuss the decades long rumor that he is a homosexual. Anyway, you would think he would be a legend in our world writing for Pryor and Murphy and then having a late career boom by appearing on a wildly popular TV show for another black comedian to link generations. Nope, just a crazy, old, and bitter black dude.

Katt Williams and Dave Chappelle - Both had a ton of money in place with Comedy Central and then just left it on the table by going "crazy". This seriously disregards the fact that both for a long time have been peculiar dudes and like doing their own thing. Also, they both really love weed.

Patrice O'Neal - Was suppose to be our generation's Paul Mooney, but just notoriously hard to deal with. So I guess basically, he was our generation's Paul Mooney. Played into the large, intimidating black man role and made it somehow work for him. However, he always had that constant battle and depression about not being able to breakthough to get that success he deserved. Then, his declining health and gaining the understanding how the nasty politics work only put him into a deeper depression about that. Fortunately, he did leave us with "Elephant in the Room" but it could have been so much more than that given the proper forum.

Every guy you can think of is going to have their issues in some way or another. Maybe not now, but you better believe something is going to pop up.

• Like 4

I've never thought that Chappelle was crazy for leaving that money on the table.  He decided he had enough, and that is probably as sane of a decision any of the above people ever made.  Deciding to live your life on your own terms is not crazy it is something to be admired. 

Every guy you can think of is going to have their issues in some way or another. Maybe not now, but you better believe something is going to pop up.

Cosby is one of the most prolific serial rapists in America's history.