DVDVR Message Board

The "Bill Cosby is a monster" thread.

Reed

If you haven't been watching The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore yet you're missing out. They seem to be going topical each night with a panel of four plus Larry discussing the topic after an intro with guest comedian; the topic last night was you know who. It was pretty damn great.

If you haven't been watching The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore yet you're missing out. They seem to be going topical each night with a panel of four plus Larry discussing the topic after an intro with guest comedian; the topic last night was you know who. It was pretty damn great.

The Keep it 100 segment was really good and the 2nd episode was the 1st episode I have seen of the show.

The comedians are saving the show just because they break up the lame everyone agrees part. Specifically, Bill Burr the 1st night and Keith Robinson coming on the next night. I guess Kathleen Madigan was ok. The super positive Indian (?) lady from the first episode was awful though. You can see the inherent weaknesses with the panel already.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but they asked Leno about about this and his response was "“I don’t know why it’s so hard to believe women. You go to Saudi Arabia and you need two women to testify against a man. Here you need 25".

I'm not a fan of Leno's but take that for what its worth. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

From the Associated Press:

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Bill Cosby admitted in a 2005 deposition that he obtained Quaaludes with the intent of giving them to young women he wanted to have sex with. He admitted giving the sedative to at least one woman.

The Associated Press went to court to compel the release of the documents, and they were made public Monday. Cosby's lawyers had objected on the grounds that it would embarrass their client.

The 77-year-old comedian was testifying under oath in a lawsuit filed by a former Temple University employee. He testified he gave her three half-pills of Benadryl.

Cosby settled that sexual-abuse lawsuit for undisclosed terms in 2006. More than a dozen women have since accused him of sexually assaulting them. Some believe they were also drugged. Cosby has never been criminally charged, and most of the accusations are barred by statutes of limitations.

Cosby's lawyers in the Philadelphia case did not immediately return phone calls.

From the Associated Press:

Cosby's lawyers had objected on the grounds that it would embarrass their client.

"Your honor I object to this evidence on the grounds that it makes my client look super guilty.  It's not fair.  They have, like, all the good evidence and we didn't get any good evidence."

• Like 12

So the plan apparently is to wait out the statute of limitations and pray he has the money to settle all of the civil suits that will be filed.  I hope they bankrupt his punk ass.

I really wish I could go back and remember all of the people who claimed that all these women were lying.  I heard so many bullshit justifications from people I really want to go back and put this shit in their face.  You want to know the crazy part, I know more women who tried to justify this shit than men.  I'm in no way a genius, but I have some pretty solid common sense.  In order for all of those women to be lying there would have to be a nationwide conspiracy that went back over 30 years.  I'm sure that is possible. But when something like 30 different people, who don't seem to be related in any way, tell the exact same story about someone why would that be your first instinct.  These people don't know Bill Cosby, they aren't related, they just laughed at some of his jokes.  Why the hell are you defending someone who is pretty clearly a rapist?  What are you getting out of this?  Fuck that dude.

I never understood the justifications either. I mean, Cosby settled the lawsuit a decade ago. All these women come forward now, none of whom seem to be seeking money. And the National Enquirer was investigating this stuff *30* years ago and just couldn't get the victim to agree to do a story. Yeah, I hear all that, clearly the OBVIOUS conclusion is "yeah, everybody's just lying about Bill". WTF.

Is it really that hard to wrap your head around the notion that people didn't want to believe that an American cultural icon and philanthropist was really a serial rapist? "Just laughed at some of his jokes"? Some of us grew up on The Electric Company, Fat Albert, Picture Pages, and The Cosby Show. Hell, here in the Philly area Cosby was like a god. And a lot of these Penn State grads around here are still trying to comprehend the Paterno shit. It's like, are all the rich and powerful, the captains of society, are they all really sick sexual deviants? Was Speed Grapher right?

• Like 1

I think Whoopi Goldberg is out of her Goddam mind!

She basically is defending Cosby saying "can you really call it sexual assault if they weren't knowing?"

My mind boggles

James

So the plan apparently is to wait out the statute of limitations and pray he has the money to settle all of the civil suits that will be filed.  I hope they bankrupt his punk ass.

Well, yeah. He should be in jail, though, too.

Chloe Goins' assault happened in 2008. Within statute of limitations. Feasibly they could get him on that. But I don't think the evidence is   overwhelming though. It's her word against his. Maybe if there are witnesses?  

Oh, and one of the victims was on Anderson Cooper last night and said she personally knew of at least 50 other women who hadn't come forward yet. Shudder. 

I think Whoopi Goldberg is out of her Goddam mind!

She basically is defending Cosby saying "can you really call it sexual assault if they weren't knowing?"

My mind boggles

James

This is a woman who voluntarily chose to go by the name "Whoopi."

Her opinions are worth less than nothing.

• Like 1

Is it really that hard to wrap your head around the notion that people didn't want to believe that an American cultural icon and philanthropist was really a serial rapist? "Just laughed at some of his jokes"? Some of us grew up on The Electric Company, Fat Albert, Picture Pages, and The Cosby Show. Hell, here in the Philly area Cosby was like a god. And a lot of these Penn State grads around here are still trying to comprehend the Paterno shit. It's like, are all the rich and powerful, the captains of society, are they all really sick sexual deviants? Was Speed Grapher right?

My issue is that people are still in denial about the whole situation, even though there is a court document with him admitting it.  I grew up on those same shows, I think Bill Cosby is a great comedian, but all of that is irrelevant when it comes to him being a serial rapist.  I grew up next door to a dude who killed a couple people.  He never bothered me, and was generally a decent neighbor.  When his sister died, he came to our house to tell us, and just broke down at our dining room table.  He was devastated and came to our house and poured his heart out.  This is a dude who has murdered a couple of people, but at that moment he was just a dude who missed his sister.  That didn't make me forget he was a murderer, nor did the fact that he is a murderer make me feel less sympathy for him.  People can be a lot of things, Bill Cosby is a fucking rapist, despite everything else he's ever done.  It really isn't that hard to understand.

• Like 2

It's not about him being a good comedian. It's about him being a symbol, or even the father of a certain ethos. I used to say that my parenting style was learned part from my dad, part from watching the Cosby Show, and part from reading Calvin and Hobbes.

Obviously, I don't say that anymore.

And that's not even bringing in the racial side of things, whereas Cosby is a symbol once again, for good or ill.

I think that's fueling the denial. The Penn State issue isn't all that different. People derived their entire identity from being Penn State alums and religiously worshiping the football program. It's hard to deal with something that shakes your sense of identity, even if it's derived from something as facile as a college football program.

Basically what's going on here is that a symbol of paternal morality shown to be utterly reprehensible, thus putting into question the things that he represented in the first place, some of which have become part of the ethos not just of individual people but really of our cultural identity as Americans as a whole. It can't be understated how big or important the Cosby Show was.

It doesn't forgive people being in denial but I think it helps to explain it.

And that's not even bringing in the racial side of things, whereas Cosby is a symbol once again, for good or ill.

I can't think of anyone, before or after this scandal, that represents me as a black person less than BIll Cosby.

• Like 1

I can't think of anyone, before or after this scandal, that represents me as a black person less than BIll Cosby.

We could probably go twenty pages on it. My guess is that Bill Cosby is far more important as a symbol of black identity to white people than to black people in ways that are thoroughly messed up to begin with, and I am sure that's been written about a ton elsewhere on the internet.

And while you can't untie that to why the Cosby Show was important to America's cultural identity, I do think that it was important to it for reasons broader than that as well.

We could probably go twenty pages on it. My guess is that Bill Cosby is far more important as a symbol of black identity to white people than to black people in ways that are thoroughly messed up to begin with, and I am sure that's been written about a ton elsewhere on the internet.

And while you can't untie that to why the Cosby Show was important to America's cultural identity, I do think that it was important to it for reasons broader than that as well.

I'm not saying what you said is untrue, I'm just saying personally I find how he talks about and treats other black people reprehensible.  He was someone who moralized things that had nothing to do with morals in a way that I found harmful.  He was a huge part of my childhood and I was a legitimate fan, but I'm really not someone who falls for the whole cult of personality thing.  All people are flawed and putting people on a pedistal is something that will disappoint you 100% of the time. 

• Like 2