DVDVR Message Board

2014-15 NCAAF - THE PLAYOFFS! (and Bowls)

Dolfan in NYC

So, nobody even going to mention Mariotta's insane vote total?

Well, no other player was really that close. Gordon could have made a run, but he did nothing in the B1G title game.

But the award was Mariota's to lose since about Week 2.

Going to reach back to a discussion that was going on in the Conference Championships thread re: the effect an expansion of the playoffs would have on the regular season.

I said:

No, it won't. It will kill the regular season. 8 would come pretty close to doing it, but at 16, you might was well treat it like basketball and not even watch until November.

Bill Thompson replied:

I disagree, football would be huge regardless, it's pretty much an institution of college life and a playoff wouldn't kill regular season interest to any degree that effects the money being made by those who care. And, it would make the playoffs matter more and have more interest when you have the football equivalents of St. John's or Bradly going deep into the playoffs and giving the more causal sports fan someone to cheer for.

Now CBS Sports reports: 2014 college football attendance lowest in 14 years

To act like college football's regular season is an unassailable instituation that will just keep on chugging along no matter what would be a grave mistake.

I suspect that the attendance thing is due, in part, to several schools jacking up their ticket prices to insane levels.  Even Michigan, which for years could have sold 175,000 tickets to games, struggled to sell seats at times this year.  And, no, it's not just because they were mediocre on the field.  Other schools have done the same thing.

I suspect that the attendance thing is due, in part, to several schools jacking up their ticket prices to insane levels.  Even Michigan, which for years could have sold 175,000 tickets to games, struggled to sell seats at times this year.  And, no, it's not just because they were mediocre on the field.  Other schools have done the same thing.

Texas being in a down period accompanied by high ticket prices is another example. Easily 10,000+ unsold seats per game this season.

Of course Winston gets cleared and it is tucked away during the NFL games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lawyer-tweets-jameis-winston-cleared-in-code-of-conduct-hearing-220839712.html

Did anyone expect anything different?

Man, it's about time that guy caught a break.

I'm sure he's really learned something from this entire experience and will make much better decisions in the future.

• Like 2

Of course Winston gets cleared and it is tucked away during the NFL games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lawyer-tweets-jameis-winston-cleared-in-code-of-conduct-hearing-220839712.html

Did anyone expect anything different?

Man, it's about time that guy caught a break.

I'm sure he's really learned something from this entire experience and will make much better decisions in the future.

Maybe he will take advice when he gets to the league from his former teammate Menelik Watson.

That #40 or #45 from Memphis didn't give a crap as he kept pushing and pushing into the BYU bench to the point that it looks like about a 10-1 mismatch.  Of course he was rewarded for that by being sucker punched by a QB or receiver

Of course they had this bowl at Marlins Park which easily made the bowl game the best action that building has seen ever 

That #40 or #45 from Memphis didn't give a crap as he kept pushing and pushing into the BYU bench to the point that it looks like about a 10-1 mismatch.  Of course he was rewarded for that by being sucker punched by a QB or receiver

Of course they had this bowl at Marlins Park which easily made the bowl game the best action that building has seen ever 

Except for when Fernandez pitches or Stanton crushes a Homer.

• Like 1

Except for when Fernandez pitches or Stanton crushes a Homer.

boosh.gif

Watching the highlights this morning, I got a kick out of the announcer intoning "no one wants to see this" after they'd already spent the segment Zaprudering the shit out of the footage.

• Like 3