DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Week 13

Dolfan in NYC

See, I've been brainwashed by the East Coast Media Bias to just accept that Notre Dame is part of that group even though they're not.

I kinda wish they would just pull the trigger on joining already. Despite the defense and Golson's ability to hold onto the football completely disappearing, they have to look at the ranking process this season and realize that it's going to take having a perfect season, with defeating quality opponents, to make it into the playoffs as an independent. I mean, it's more likely they could win the ACC conference with one loss and make it in, than it would be with having one loss as an independent. It sucks because they would possibly have to end the games against Michigan State, Purdue, USC, and Stanford, but I'll take losing those games if it means having a better chance of getting, WHICH I FULLY ACKNOWLEDGE WAS NOT GOING TO BE LIKELY THIS SEASON...maybe the next too.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around whatever the fuck Coach Kelly was thinking. 

As an ND fan, why would you want them to give up football independance to join the ACC? The Big 10 is right there, with tons of rivals and television money for you to join.

This year's Marshall team reminds me of the 2007 Hawaii team that ran the table, but only beat one ranked team (and two FCS teams) on their way to 12-0 and getting played off the field in the Sugar Bowl. Marshall took on 3 MAC teams and then a bad FCS team in their non-conference schedule. I'm afraid the same thing would happen to them if they get into one of the big bowl games, someone from the SEC or Big 12 beats them by about 35 points.

As an ND fan, why would you want them to give up football independance to join the ACC? The Big 10 is right there, with tons of rivals and television money for you to join.

This year's Marshall team reminds me of the 2007 Hawaii team that ran the table, but only beat one ranked team (and two FCS teams) on their way to 12-0 and getting played off the field in the Sugar Bowl. Marshall took on 3 MAC teams and then a bad FCS team in their non-conference schedule. I'm afraid the same thing would happen to them if they get into one of the big bowl games, someone from the SEC or Big 12 beats them by about 35 points.

Because, why would you want to schedule October and November games in Columbus, East Lansing, and Madison, when you could schedule them in Raleigh, Atlanta, and Miami?  

All due respect to Melvin Gordon, who definitely deserves to be mentioned in the conversation, but all you have to do is look in the NCAA record book and see that he's just doing what the Wisconsin offense has been designed to do for almost 20 years now: run the football for a shitload of yards. He's the freshest cog in a spectacularly well-oiled machine.

https://twitter.com/ballrb28/status/533766932453785601

Just to back up what EVA said...

(Gordon, btw, was having a good, but not particularly great season before Saturday.  Just another good Wisconsin tailback.  But now, god damn.)

Because, why would you want to schedule October and November games in Columbus, East Lansing, and Madison, when you could schedule them in Raleigh, Atlanta, and Miami?  

More money and rivals should trump a nice weather day in Miami every third year. Plus, ND finishes every season with a game in California already.

The B1G made so much more sense than the half joining the ACC thing.  Could have kept the Michigan/MSU/Purdue games (maybe not every single year for all three, but at least regular match-ups), and still had room to keep at least a couple of USC/Stanford/Navy/BC.

Plus almost certainly more money from the B1G than the ACC.

More money and rivals should trump a nice weather day in Miami every third year. Plus, ND finishes every season with a game in California already.

I was joking.  But getting into either the B1G or the ACC means the (multiple) west coast games are probably done.  And frankly, outside of FSU, Notre Dame would probably have a much easier time in the ACC than the Big 10.  

But since I wasn't clear before...  I am 100% of the opinion that the Big 10 is the correct place for Notre Dame to be. 

Well, they only play one West Coast game a year (Rotating Stanford and USC) with the other coming to South Bend.

But if they keep both, then they only would have one more non-conference game (B1G is going to a 9 game conference schedule soon) which means, at best, they can only keep one of Navy and BC.

ND has their own TV deal which brings them in significant amounts of money.  The issue with them joining a conference for the longest time was ND sharing their TV deal with the conference and that was not happening.

Now that conferences have their own TV networks it makes it easier to join.

It may be a weak conference but you still have to show up and win every game and it is not like the bad C-USA teams are worse than the puff jobs FSU has played this season.

No idea what you're talking about. FSU has a weak schedule because the ACC is down in comparison to the other Power 5 conferences, but FSU has only played one non-power 5 opponent this season (The Citadel). Their other OOC games have been OK State, Notre Dame, and Florida.

Say what you will about any of those teams, but they are all substantially better competition than...Akron. Miami-OH. FIU. FAU. Old Dominion. Southern Miss (sigh).

At this point, Marshall's best win is against 6-4 Rice. They've only played one other team with a winning record. Horrible, horrible football in C-USA.

EDIT: Yeah, good call on your part to edit out the "practice game" part. Ha. Maybe know what you're talking about before you say something.

Your sarcasm meter regarding FSU must be broken today.

Michigan has kicked DE Frank Clark - arguably the best player on a very good defense - off the squad for punching his girlfriend.  In front of her brother.

You know they only did that because its a down year, no way they take a moral stand if their in title contention. . . sadly. . . 

Wish I could argue otherwise but I really can't.  Not after the way the university handled Brendan Gibbons and Taylor Lewan.

It may be a weak conference but you still have to show up and win every game and it is not like the bad C-USA teams are worse than the puff jobs FSU has played this season.

No idea what you're talking about. FSU has a weak schedule because the ACC is down in comparison to the other Power 5 conferences, but FSU has only played one non-power 5 opponent this season (The Citadel). Their other OOC games have been OK State, Notre Dame, and Florida.

Say what you will about any of those teams, but they are all substantially better competition than...Akron. Miami-OH. FIU. FAU. Old Dominion. Southern Miss (sigh).

At this point, Marshall's best win is against 6-4 Rice. They've only played one other team with a winning record. Horrible, horrible football in C-USA.

EDIT: Yeah, good call on your part to edit out the "practice game" part. Ha. Maybe know what you're talking about before you say something.

Your sarcasm meter regarding FSU must be broken today.

Ha. Might as well have gone full Rivals MB and just posted "TO THE MAX BRO."

Vegas odds for Florida's next HC:

4-1 - Mike Gundy (Oklahoma State)

9-2 - Jim McElwain (Colorado State)

11-2 - Bob Stoops (Oklahoma)

11-2 - Dan Mullen (Mississippi State)

7-1 - Mike Shanahan (Unemployed)

7-1 - Rich Rodriguez (Arizona)

8-1 - Steve Spurrier (South Carolina)

9-1 - Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss)

12-1 - Gary Patterson (TCU)

12-1 - Gus Malzahn (Auburn)

Gundy at #1 shocks me. Not sure what info they're getting on that. I mean, I'm not surprised Gundy's name would be attached to the job, because he's spent the last few years making sure his name was attached to every decent job opening.

Jim McElwain is going to get one of the major job openings on this spin of the carousel, though. He's legit. He could be an option at Michigan if they swing and miss on the Harbaugh/Miles/Mullen types. He could also be in serious play at Florida if the rumors that Foley doesn't want any part in RichRod because he thinks he has too much Urb in him are true.

Michigan has kicked DE Frank Clark - arguably the best player on a very good defense - off the squad for punching his girlfriend.  In front of her brother.

You know they only did that because its a down year, no way they take a moral stand if their in title contention. . . sadly. . . 

Wish I could argue otherwise but I really can't.  Not after the way the university handled Brendan Gibbons and Taylor Lewan.

That wasn't meant as a shot at Michigan, btw. ANY elite level program does the same thing. MAYBE not Notre Dame, but that's it. . . 

Gundy at #1 shocks me. Not sure what info they're getting on that. I mean, I'm not surprised Gundy's name would be attached to the job, because he's spent the last few years making sure his name was attached to every decent job opening.

Jim McElwain is going to get one of the major job openings on this spin of the carousel, though. He's legit. He could be an option at Michigan if they swing and miss on the Harbaugh/Miles/Mullen types. He could also be in serious play at Florida if the rumors that Foley doesn't want any part in RichRod because he thinks he has too much Urb in him are true.

I would think Shanny is getting a little long in the tooth to take over a college gig. . . 

On the Texas board I'm on, someone pointed out that they had Charlie Strong as the odds on favorite for our next head coach well before he was on most people's radar (and not just because they were obsessed with Little Nicky).