DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Counting the barely theatrically screened Man-Thing (has anyone seen this?) there have been 32 live action Marvel films since 1998.

I saw Man-Thing on Syfy late one night last summer.  It is as bad as it sounds.

The new Days of Futures Past trailer attached to Winter Soldier looks totally fucking epic.  The Sentinels are scary as hell.

Which version of the Sentinels? The older ones, the newer ones that can transform into shit, or both?

Both.  Holy shit..  Sentinels are nightmare fuel in that trailer

Finally finished up ASM2 (due to a cold or something I'm dealing with not being able to hear well, so I didn't want to blow my wife away when trying to watch it) 

I love this movie!  It's 10x better than the first one - lots of heart, fun bits, pathos, drama, this thing has everything including:

death-of-gwen-stacy1.jpg

I'll be seeing it again in the theater when it opens around here.  Great, great movie.

I agree that the movie is 10 times better than the first one, but I still have one major problem with both movies.

In the first movie Spider-Man promises Captain Stacy to stay away from his daughter, because being together with her would put her in great danger. This is his final wish before his death and what does Spider-Man do? He breaks the promise almost immediately and gets back together with Gwen Stacy.

So in the second movie the worst thing that could possibly happen happens and Gwen Stacy dies, because she was together with Spider-Man. Exactly what Captain Stacy told Spider-Man would happen, happend. So what does Spider-Man do? He mourns a few months and then gets over it!

Now also keep in mind one of the core elements that make Spider-Man Spider-Man: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Surely the responisble thing would have been to keep Captain Stacy's promise and stay away from Gwen Stacy.

So, basically what this movie is saying is: "Great responsibility? Pfft. Shit happens! You'll get over it! YOLO!"

• Like 1

I agree that the movie is 10 times better than the first one, but I still have one major problem with both movies.

In the first movie Spider-Man promises Captain Stacy to stay away from his daughter, because being together with her would put her in great danger. This is his final wish before his death and what does Spider-Man do? He breaks the promise almost immediately and gets back together with Gwen Stacy.

So in the second movie the worst thing that could possibly happen happens and Gwen Stacy dies, because she was together with Spider-Man. Exactly what Captain Stacy told Spider-Man would happen, happend. So what does Spider-Man do? He mourns a few months and then gets over it!

Now also keep in mind one of the core elements that make Spider-Man Spider-Man: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Surely the responisble thing would have been to keep Captain Stacy's promise and stay away from Gwen Stacy.

So, basically what this movie is saying is: "Great responsibility? Pfft. Shit happens! You'll get over it! YOLO!"

In this case, his Great Responsibility is making sure the people of the city are safe, despite wanting to keep mourning Gwen, so he reassumed the role of Spidey at the end

I still think the movies would have been better without the promise to Captain Stacy. The death of Gwen Stacy would have still been tragic without it and I could see Spider-Man coming back from that to save the day once again.

But the promise to Captain Stacy adds another element to Gwen Stacy's death. Now Spider-Man is to blame for her death just as much as the Green Goblin and the movie doesn't even adress that dilemma.

I don't think I'll get a chance to see The Amazing Spider-Man 2. If there's a choice between TASM 2 or X-Men: Days of Future Past, I'd rather see the latter going on the past two trailers and the quality of X-Men/X2 directed by Bryan Singer.

Saw ASM2 a couple of weeks ago. It's... everything I read in the paper about it went with the line "People said the first one was pointless and unnecessary, but then it made loads of money and everyone loved it". Well, it was pointless and unnecessary, and it did make loads of money, but everyone* thought it was sort of alright-ish but with major flaws.

The second one, it's better. But it's not as good as Raimi's second. And the promised Villain team-up from the posters doesn't happen, it's sequential. You can tell that they're learning from the Avengers series by  having easter egg stuff show up and tease for future events, but it's still not as good because they're only working with one set of characters. And Garfield just seems to be playing Peter Parker as the guy who got bullied at school because he was a twat about things (Tobey MacGuire Parker got bullied at school because bullies are arseholes. Garfield Parker seems to have deserved it).

* Except the Natural, who loved it. He also thought Heath Ledger was great casting for the Joker when everyone else IN THE WORLD thought he would suck at it. Not sure anyone's mentioned that recently.

Even if I'm personally disappointed with these movies, my 10 year old nephew's excitement seeing them always makes up for it. There's always a piece of me that wishes we had these movies when we were that age. 

Critics are wrong on this one. I saw The Amazing Spider-Man 2 this afternoon and it's pretty fucking good. The chemistry between Garfield and Stone is magical. It had everything you could want in a Spidey movie. It had the right humor, it had the cool action bits and it had a lot of heart. The cast was brilliant.

My only complaints were too much CGI but there's really nothing you can do about that in this case.

Everything else was cool. I'm not ready to say it's a great movie but I will probably fight anyone who says it's not at least 'solid'.

*claps*

I loved -

Armored car chase, Times Square Fight (nobody dies!), and "Swik! Snap"

The web line turning into a little hand was a neat touch.  I may be reading too much into that

• Like 1

One more thing. What's the deal with this newfound love and adulation for Tobey? Not only do I think Garfield is better in this role, I NEVER remember anyone saying "Tobey WAS Spider-man, dude"

At most, people thought he was decent. Now all I hear is "nobody can be Spidey now that Tobey did it!"

Absurd.