DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Power Trip and Rock and Sock would probably qualify here. Getting a team name doesn't mean that you aren't a temporarily team. I'm pretty sure Bagwell and Scorpio tagged longer than the Power Trip (and possibly BookDust). That's arbitrary and comes down to whether or not creative was being well........creative. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Goldust...

WWE Network has really brought me back into wrestling in a big way. Not that I ever stopped watching, but there's so much awesome stuff that I want to revisit and other things that I haven't seen that I am really, really excited just to watch and think about wrestling and to re-visit what I think about certain wrestlers.

One thing I realize after watching lots of early-'90s WCW and a ton of WWE stuff is that Goldust/Dustin Rhodes has a legit claim to being the best U.S. wrestler ever. Like, he's great in pretty much everything. He's an amazing tag worker with whoever you throw him in there with, he's a great bleeder and is wonderful in brawls, that Goldust character (while extremely problematic) was something that enhanced his matches in 1996 when he really didn't have a great lineup of people to work with necessarily. Those Savio Vega matches on RAW are legitimately awesome, and while I was disappointed by his match with Ahmed Johnson at KotR because I really like Ahmed and think Dustin is great, he generally exceeded expectations for me in 1996 because he seamlessly integrated his character into his matches. I think most wrestlers suck at pulling off stalling in an effective manner, but 1996 Goldust is fucking awesome at this. 

On top of that, he's pretty much been good since then even as he nears fifty, excepting that Black Reign garbage (but TNA is a wasteland for veterans from WWE/WCW so I can't hold that against him), He's one of those guys like Finlay that never seem to drop off no matter how old they get except that he's doing crazy sunset flips and other really athletic things on top of being an awesome tag worker that shows vulnerability as a face or viciousness as a heel.

The guy that I think I've come the farthest on because of having lots of his work at my fingertips due to the Network is probably Dustin Rhodes. I get extremely excited whenever he pops up on my television...which is why that Rick Rude thirty-minute Iron Man match at Beach Blast '93 might be the single most disappointing match that I've ever seen in my life. 

• Like 5

Having a team name would denote that thought (as in creative) went into them being a team rather than being two single stars thrown together. Scorpio and Bagwell didn't deserve a name.

Not really.  Remember JeriShow?  Or ShowMiz?  Conversely, Edge and Christian never had a team name (IMO the Brood is more of a stable name).

I want vignettes of Kane, Rollins and a referee driving around the country looking for Brock Lesnar.

Then again, would anyone be foolish enough to try to hunt Brock Lesnar?

And someone mocked me for saying Kane stealing a golf cart and running Raven over was what made Kane an all time great for me.

I would imagine that Rollins drives. 

Bad things happen when Kane drives and Rollins doesn't need that kind of drama in his life. 

Now all I have in my head is them during around in the Mystery Machine. Thanks.

Stephanie is quite probably the best heel in the company, so I don't get the hate personally.

She can only bump and sell for other women. That alone means she is not the best heel in the company.

It's a "Kingdom of the Blind" thing (in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king).  In a roster mostly devoid of great heels (or even wrestlers who try to get themselves over as actual heels instead of trying to get their moves over as "cool"), Stephanie's act is top notch.  In another era, she'd be middle of the pack.

unrealistic wrestling fed idea: The fed is based around 10/16/whatever guys who wrestle each other in a round robin, with another fed doing the same format as a "B League". The bottom guys from the A League are demoted to the B League for the next tournament, and top B league guys are promoted to the next A League tournament.

• Like 1

Tajiri and Mikey, along with Vandenberg, were one of my favorite things on ECW TV in that final year or so. I thought they were just perfect together. The promos were awesome and I think their PPV match with Kid Kash and Super Crazy is probably a top 10 or 20 all time great ECW match. I wish they had more matches, or got a WWF run at least.