DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Good move for the Mavs in "win now" mode. I had to check how old Brandan Wright was because everyone kept calling him young. He's 27. Damn media was making me think I was wrong because I knew Wright had been around in the NBA for several years now.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Celtics deal Wright to add another draft pick.

Dallas is going to need to make another move or two. Not enough size on the bench. Starting lineup looks better in a playoff series now though for sure.

Looking forward to Golden State vs OKC tonight a lot. Favorite thing is it is the defense I am looking forward to the most. Roberson is looking like a true shut down defender. 4 guys tonight that deserve to be in the MVP talk. Even more than that in the defensive player of the year talk.

I love this one tidbit from Lowe's piece on the Sixers.

The Sixers are sixth in points allowed per possession in December against a quality schedule that has included San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and Memphis.

Now just need to find a way to cut down on the turnovers and stop giving opponents so many extra possessions.

That really sucks about Parker. We are right at the 6 month mark for Embiid from his 4-6 after surgery. Physical rehab time. He could be game ready by mid February. Considering how much the guy improved game to game in college not playing him when he is 100% cleared is hard to justify.

For the draft it looks like Towns and Stanley Johnson would be the 2 best bets for this team as far as being a great fit.

With all due respect to the Pelicans and The Brow, if Oklahoma City was to go back to being the OKC we know, would the Western Conference have the best set of teams for the playoffs ever?  Hypothetically we'd have:

1. Golden State

2. Memphis

3. Houston

4. Portland

5. Clippers

6. Dallas

7. San Antonio

8. Oklahoma City

Even without a dog in the fight is there really a game all the way to the conference finals that you wouldn't want to see?  I mean maybe Clippers @ Portland but you never know when LaMarcus Aldridge is gonna go the hell off.  And only Dallas and San Antonio are even getting up there in age so it's going to be like this for years to come barring injury.  It's just murderers row no matter how you look at it...

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of teams have bought into the San Antonio model?  On the Grantland show they made a good point that this would actually make the NBA a better game.  Not every team can do it, they mentioned Memphis doesn't for example but I believe that the more international style will end up helping players make more plays and have a more entertaining product for the fans.

Even without a dog in the fight is there really a game all the way to the conference finals that you wouldn't want to see?

No everyone of those series would be good. I will have to see what the Mavs look like with Rondo. Right now they are the team I least want to see there. I would have expected that to be Houston but Harden has stepped up his defense significantly. It is unbelievable how loaded the West is right now. OKC has 2 of the 5 best players in the league and they aren't close to being considered a lock to make it to the finals. Justifiably. It is incredible and the good thing is the regular season still has a long ways to go. So we can see these top Western conference teams play each other a lot more still. Not as much as we could if the league and/or networks hadn't pretended the Lakers were going to be good. If they did it to force me to get league pass it worked.

With all due respect to the Pelicans and The Brow, if Oklahoma City was to go back to being the OKC we know, would the Western Conference have the best set of teams for the playoffs ever?  Hypothetically we'd have:

1. Golden State

2. Memphis

3. Houston

4. Portland

5. Clippers

6. Dallas

7. San Antonio

8. Oklahoma City

Even without a dog in the fight is there really a game all the way to the conference finals that you wouldn't want to see?  I mean maybe Clippers @ Portland but you never know when LaMarcus Aldridge is gonna go the hell off.  And only Dallas and San Antonio are even getting up there in age so it's going to be like this for years to come barring injury.  It's just murderers row no matter how you look at it...

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of teams have bought into the San Antonio model?  On the Grantland show they made a good point that this would actually make the NBA a better game.  Not every team can do it, they mentioned Memphis doesn't for example but I believe that the more international style will end up helping players make more plays and have a more entertaining product for the fans.

If that is how the playoffs are seeded, it could be the first time 5-8 beat 1-4, because as good as Golden State is I'd pick Westbrook and Durant over them every single time.  Is there a chance that Westbrook could actually become a better player than Durant?  I think Durant is better right now, and potentially an all-time great, but Westbrook is playing at a level that doesn't even make any sense.  He's averaging 26/6/7 in 29 minutes, those are MVP numbers. 

Westbrook outplayed Durant in the playoffs last year clearly. He is outplaying him again this year but Durant has had less work. I doubt Westbrook can keep his current percentages/numbers but am hopeful since he is my favorite player. Saying he clearly outplayed him might have been overstating it since it implies a larger gap than what there actually was during those games.

vct0u9.jpg

I disagree with Chuck and Reggie Miller that Butler is on the path to a max deal. Been there already for weeks.

Butler and Noah are fantastic.  I will say no more on that team out of fear for my DVDVR life.

The best part of Westbrook's game is fear--as in, he has no fear.  Does that result in some bad shots?  Yep.  But if I'm an OKC fan, I deal with that for the 95% of him that is just so damn good.

The best part of Westbrook's game is fear--as in, he has no fear.  Does that result in some bad shots?  Yep.  But if I'm an OKC fan, I deal with that for the 95% of him that is just so damn good.

Yeah he has that bulldog mentality. I haven't liked how his 3 attempts have kept trending upwards while percentage made hasn't. Though this season he is at 36% made and 2.8 attempts per game. If he can keep it there that is perfect. I've compared him to Wade most his career and Wade kept his attempts down under 2 for the most part.

Rondo had to go. It's a move that probably should have happened a couple years ago. I've enjoyed this team despite the numerous 4th quarter collapses but you have to be realistic. It makes no sense to pay Rondo #1 option kind of money. I have no idea what Danny is really up to. It sounds like Bass and Green could be next. Danny is going to have about 8 million draft picks over the next 4-5 years. What's the end game.

I've always felt like the Sixers would can their coach the moment they get the team where they want it to be.  I don't get that feeling with Boston.  I've always thought that they will keep Stephens around, if he's willing to stick it out.

Jimmy Buckets shutting Chuck up mid-game was fucking great.

Man that GS/OKC game started off so crazy and ended up such a bummer for me: 

1.  If Draymond Green hadn't fizzled out in the 2nd half I could have won 5 grand on DraftKings last night.  Still cashed, but damn I was close.

2.  I was REALLY wanting Durant to go after Kobe's 80 point game.  That was seriously in play last night.  Hope his ankle is all good.