DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Week 5

Dolfan in NYC

Jameis Winston is going to be the best Raiders draft bust in years.

His antics are going to make Jamarcus Russell look good. On the field? Who knows . . .

The Carr is already on the road, but they'll take offers for the first pick in the draft.

I'll get my hat.

But seriously, somebody is fucking up if Michigan doesn't make a serious play for Harbaugh. It's obvious his situation in San Francisco is untenable and isn't going to last. Make him an offer he can't refuse, and there's a pretty good chance he'll jump at it. If they actually care about winning in football again, they will pay him the dollars and give him whatever else he wants. Anyone who so much as wrings their hands over it should be fired immediately.

Failing that, I dunno. Maybe if LSU has another down year, the time might be right to make another pass at The Hat.

Man, everybody wants to win a Super Bowl. But the NFL ain't for everybody. From all the reports at least, it sounds like Harbaugh is learning what Saban did at Miami: Having other people involved in making decisions about your team sucks ass. As does having to deal with multimillionaire grown men as players. It's WAY better to be a god in college.

But even that's beside the point - which is that Michigan just needs to WIN. If Harbaugh only sticks around for 5 years before going back to the NFL, so what? That's about as long as coaches last anywhere in college football these days. And you can bet your ass they'll be 5 awesome years. And he'll leave the program in an awesome place where any decent hire can keep it rolling. WORTH IT.

I can definitely see the appeal of sticking to a college job in the USA. You have 32 of (whatever coaching job each) in the NFL, you've got like 200+ at the college level. And if you get really entrenched at an even half-decent program in college you can still make pretty crazy money by the standards of the real world.

Harbaugh is the obvious guy to try first.

Hell, even if he didn't have the history with Michigan, they would be fools not to feel him out.  But "grew up spending time in Bo's offense, dad was an assistant coach for Michigan, never considered another college, was the starting quarterback at Michigan..."  You have to try him.

If he leaves in 3-5 years for another NFL job, so be it.  It's worth it.  This is supposed to be MICHIGAN, not "random school that gets ran over by Utah and Minnesota."  We can quibble forever on where exactly Michigan falls on the "all-time best programs" list, but it's clearly high, and, much like Notre Dame prior to Kelly*, Alabama prior to Saban, etc etc, Michigan needs to be better than this. 

*I cannot tell you how crushed I was when ND hired Kelly when it was obvious RichRod probably wasn't going to make it past the next season.

Y'all are going to be so disappointed when Les Miles is on the sidelines in Ann Arbor next year.

Les is still an upgrade over BRichRoke.

Okay, that was a terrible joke.

But, no, Les is, in football terms, a little bit insane (he just does... things... that make no sense, but sometimes they work) but he's also fairly successful and such.  He's not my first choice (which, um, you already know my first choice) but he's a step-up.

Actually, if Harbaugh says no, step two should be Dan Mullen.

The funny thing to me is that people complained and OFTEN about Lloyd Carr. He doesn't look too freaking bad now does he?

I was never on the "fire Lloyd Carr" bandwagon.  Because steady success with the occasional really good season (including a national title) is not an easy thing to replicate.  You don't fire a good coach unless you have a great one already locked up.  Period.

• Like 1

It's still hard to believe that Alabama went after RichRod, only to be turned down because Rita Rodriguez supposedly didn't want to live in Tuscaloosa.  It all worked out for the Crimson Tide.  Michigan, though?  Not so much.

I actually think RichRod would've been alright at Alabama. I think he's proven at Michigan and now Arizona that he can conjure absurd amounts of offense anywhere. Defense is his weakness, but at Bama, he would have had immediate access to far better athletes on that side of the ball than he's ever had.

He wouldn't have won at Saban's level, so I'm glad it worked out the way it did, but he would've won an SEC title or two and had a chance to win a natty.

After claiming it was his decision to keep playing Shane Morris on Saturday, Brady Hoke and Michigan have now released a not-at-all-written-by-PR-folks-and-lawyers statement saying that all injury decisions go through the medical staff.  There can't possibly be any people that actually believe that nonsense.

Seriously, he needs to get fired.